Maybe not the right spot, but I think this is the right place.

I might be a little impatient but during my practice time I do practice hard on things but I also leave a little fun time as well.

Well, let's say I have a riff in my head, I try to replicate that to the guitar with my hands. But I noticed when I do try to either play a song or replicate what is in my head, my playing lacks, for lack of a better term, "emotion" or "feel". Almost like I am a robot or computer. It is frustrating.

For instance, I really am trying to nail 2 Black Keys songs, one of them is I Got Mine. And if you know the song, there is this riff that sounds great by them but sounds robotic when I copy it.

Even the riff in my head, I am capable of getting the tone and what notes they are to play, but I can get the "emotion" though to my fingers to play.

I mean this isn't the most complicated stuff to copy either (talking about I Got Mine).

Maybe I am just venting but seriously, I am concerned that I might not have a musical bone in my body.
Epi G400 '66 Reissue
w/ Airline Vintage Voiced Single Coil Pickups
Welcome to my world. I cover a lot of other people's music and I learn new stuff very slowly. It takes me 10 times as long to really connect with all the subtle emotive nuances of certain players as some of my more gifted guitar cohorts who simply hear it once and play it. I do eventually get there though and the results can be very rewarding. I have found that I am often far better at crafting improvised emotive solos on the fly than my fellow guitarists who are more in touch with their inner parrot, but usually improvise by just connecting a bunch of unrelated licks they know. Different strengths and talents.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Mar 12, 2014,