I can't pick consistently for more than 30 seconds or so without the pick moving around in my hand and causing me to need to readjust. I work with a loose grip but I've always read that that was appropriate for speed and fluidity. I've tried picks with better grip on them but it hasn't made much of a difference. Is this a common occurrence? How do I rectify this issue?
First off, how are you holding the pick?

Second, you should hold it so that it's relaxed yet firm, not squeezing the life out of it but not totally loose otherwise it'll just fly straight out your hand. Whether the pick has a grip on it or not is irrelevant, it comes down to you.
Quote by UnmagicMushroom
First off, how are you holding the pick?

Second, you should hold it so that it's relaxed yet firm, not squeezing the life out of it but not totally loose otherwise it'll just fly straight out your hand. Whether the pick has a grip on it or not is irrelevant, it comes down to you.

Between my thumb and right behind the side of the first knuckle on my index finger. It's not loose enough to fly out, I tend to have more of a problem with gripping too tight than too loose.
Quote by redd9
sounds like you are not angling the pick correctly.

Very possible. Is there a simple reference for how to amend this, somewhere? Should it be difficult to correct? I've been playing a while...
Also, what are you playing when this happens? For me it only happens when I'm playing fast metal chug stuff, and it's an annoyance.
Without pictures and more info, it's somewhat hard for us to really diagnose the issue.

I recommend looking into Dunlop Ultex picks, or any picks made with Ultem for that matter. They have the best grip of any pick I've ever played with, really nice tone, and react very well to sweating hands. I've used them for about a year now and I can't remember dropping a pick during a performance in that time period.
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
Quote by AngryHatter
What type of pick?
What gauge strings?

fender .88
10's on strat, lights on taylor.
Hey Ryan,
I used to suffer from this issue. And when I started playing again 3 months ago after a 2 year dry spell of virtually no playing, it had re-surfaced at first.
This doesn't really address the underlying technique issue, but I can tell you what made it go away for me. For my warm-up I was working though playing a C major scale in different positions on the neck. I'd arranged it as 3 notes per string and would work it all the way from the 12th position down to the 1st and back up again. I would join it and play it as one continuous thing. Well, that meant I was picking constantly for 1 to 1.5 mins. That was long enough that my pick would slip somewhere in the sequence. Well, within a couple of days I noticed that the pick was slipping later in the sequence than it was before, and a few days after that it stopped happening. It pretty much took care of it and quickly too.
You might just be holding too loose. Generally the rule is hold as loose as you can without it slipping around.

It may be that you get usually sweaty or such, in which case try scoring the picks (carefully!) so that they have more grip.