Hey there guys,

Apologies for my ignorance about this but i was trying to learn this song that is essentially full of riffs like this:

|--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|-----------------9-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|---------7---7----7----------10--9h10p-7--------------3-----23-------------------2------------------|
|-0-000-000-000--7-8-888--888-----8-888-5-555---555----5-5-555-3-333-333-111111---|

The formatting is a bit dodgy but i hope you get the idea. I was wondering what that kind of technique is called if it has a name?

The song is Slaughter Of The Soul by At The Gates
Schecter C-1+
PRS SE Custom 24
Ibanez RG7321 w/ Seymour Duncan Invader
EHX Metal Muff
Blackstar ID Core 20
What exactly are you referring to? I don't know the song but I'm guessing everything on the low E string is palm muted. That's really the only "technique' going on I'd guess.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
The style of riff is generally called a pedal-note riff, which I think is what you're asking. The term comes from piano playing (I think) where the foot pedals are used to keep a tone sustained under other notes. In metal the term just means a low note you keep going back to.
Basically chugging on that low E like like that while executing the other note (hammer ons, pull offs, etc..) is called a "pedal tone" riff. Basically as the run is progressing the consistent return or consistent use of the same note like that throughout is called a pedal tone/note.
Jackson: DKMG w/Zakk Wylde EMGs
Fender: Fat Strat HSS
Epiphone: Les Paul Custom w/SD Pickups
Dean: Performer E Acoustic/Electric
Vox: DA5
Vox JamVox
Digitech: GNX4 Workstation
Digitech: EX-7 Distortion Factory
Boss DR-880
MAudio Bx5a Deluxe
Yeah as mentioned above it's called pedaling. Common in modern metal. I mean there are a lot of other techniques in there as well. Such as down picking, palm muting, galloping, alternate picking, economy picking and probabaly some others.

There is more than one way to play a riff like that. You would probably alternate pick the groups of 3 notes on the low E string. This is galopping.

However the intro to the song is a better example of a pedal riff. Basically a lot of downpicking. Down picking will give it a much nicer chug than up strokes. Takes a lot of time to build that sort of dexterity, so keep at it.
I usually call those string crossing/or string skipping riffs.
"Could everyone please stop sounding like everyone else that's trying to sound like meshuggah?"

-Emil Werstler

Quote by damian_91
Kurt Cobain, the best guitarist to ever live.

What is the problem you're having with this riff? Are you asking how to play the riff in itself or are you having a hard time getting the rhythms down? Do you have guitar pro?

I guess the most important techniques in this riff (it's the verse riff) are palm muting and alternate picking. All the notes on the lower string should be palm muted and the higher ones not. Also note that the song is in 12/8, so 8th notes are grouped in 3's.
"Pedal Note Riffing" Cheers guys. That's what i needed. I was having a bit of difficulty with this song but i wasn't sure what the technique was called to get lessons on it. Cheers
Schecter C-1+
PRS SE Custom 24
Ibanez RG7321 w/ Seymour Duncan Invader
EHX Metal Muff
Blackstar ID Core 20
Honestly. if you want to learn the riff you showed us in your OP. Knowing the name of its technique wont even help. Theres no point going off and learning other "pedal note riffs" in order to learn this pedal note riff in your OP. Your best bet is to slow it the **** down (In guitar pro if you have it. if you dont have it then get it), and just play it. Work your way up.
^yup, pedal note riffing isn't a technique, it's just a musical idea. You can use all the techniques in the catalog while doing "pedal-note riffing". Learn how to play this riff if you want to learn how to play this riff. Or in other words work on the techniques that are incorporated in this riff i.e. palm muting, alternate picking. And get guitar pro.
Last edited by AmIEvil? at Mar 13, 2014,