Hey guys. I would like to buy me an acoustic to go along with my new Tele. I know they are different animals but I would like one that has similar action and ease of play to an Electric. Slim neck is a plus and I am a small fellow so I definitely don't want a big bodied acoustic. Looking to spend about $500 or so. Can you guys recommend some guitars? Thanks
If you want to, "go all in" with Fender, they have a few guitars under their, "Sonoran" marque. They basically have maple,, "soft C" Strat necks, even six on a side tuners.

The standard Sonoran is a dreadnought, but it's on the smallish side of that size range.

The acoustic electric version has a cutaway, and I believe there's a slimline model as well.

Most believe people that Ovations have the most "electric like necks". Here again, you'd need to go with a thin body model. Keep in mind, when you get into thin bodied acoustics, they're going to need to be plugged in to give of their best.

With a proper setup, acoustics play quite well. However, if you're looking to "shred", and you're used to playing with "electric lights", (.009 to .042), good luck with that.
I am not necessarily looking for thin or small guitar. Just don't want a jumbo or anything. Thanks. Thanks for the input Captaincranky. I will check those out.
ahem... since you brought it up Cranky... i love Ovations for the ease of playability. probably the closest your going to get to an electric feel. cranky's right though, they were designed from the start to be played plugged in. the mid-depth ones (like a 1778 or cc44) sound good unplugged, they do have a different sound than a traditional flat-backed guitar. the deep-bowled ones sound even better(2078 and more). a lot of people find them uncomfortable to play as they claim to have them slide off they're laps. haven't experienced that, but if it does happen, they invented this cool thing called a guitar strap...problem solved !
probably the most playable guitar short of a Taylor, at a fraction of the cost.
beware though, ovations are very polarizing, either love 'em or hate 'em.
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)
Quote by stepchildusmc
ahem... since you brought it up Cranky... i love Ovations for the ease of playability. probably the closest your going to get to an electric feel. . . .

Yes, I agree - an Ovation would fit the bill very well.
Quote by cheesedips
ovation slides off ur legs
Oh look Step....., there's a new crank in town.!
Quote by Captaincranky
Oh look Step....., there's a new crank in town.!

yeah, but he's lacking a bit in style.
Quote by stepchildusmc
yeah, but he's lacking a bit in style.
You know Step, I think that's the nicest thing you've ever almost said to me....
Quote by Captaincranky
You know Step, I think that's the nicest thing you've ever almost said to me....

my apologies. won't happen again. i'm sitting on a hill in the lovely vacation resort area of Hindu Kush explaining to 19 yr olds why it's more dangerous to smoke here in this particular spot than it is back home...all the while i'm thinking if Fed Ex would find it odd that i'm trying to priority mail an M-67 to Philly..."why do i have to pull the odd looking pin out of the side of the box as soon as i ring the doorbell?? spoon? what spoon?"
there...that make you fell better? the planets axis are righting themselves now. dogs are back to chasing cats, Tuxs' toilets are once again flushing right to left...all's back to normal.
Quote by stepchildusmc
...[ ].....all the while i'm thinking if Fed Ex would find it odd that i'm trying to priority mail an M-67 to Philly..."why do i have to pull the odd looking pin out of the side of the box as soon as i ring the doorbell?? spoon? what spoon?"
there...that make you fell better? the planets axis are righting themselves now. dogs are back to chasing cats, Tuxs' toilets are once again flushing right to left...all's back to normal.
Yeah well, if you're going to mail me a "spoon", make it "crank".
Last edited by Captaincranky at Mar 17, 2014,