I'd rather you read the whole text before giving me advice as it is all linked

I have this sort of master plan in my head of where I want to go in terms of music and future purchases but I haven't quite figure it all out yet- which is what I need help with. Although, I'm grateful for those who posted on my earlier threads, I'm still not quite getting the detail that I want in terms of what to get. Anyway, what I want to do is eventually buy a Telecaster but I know that I need a new amp first. As I mentioned before, I think I prefer British woody tones to crunchy Marshalls etc. so I've decided to go with a Laney something. I'm undecided between the VC15/30, the LC15/30, and even the Cub12r. I heard that the VCs are very transparent which is a good thing as the music I play as a band is psychedelic rock which is mainly effects based. But I don't know much else about the amps as there are very few YT demos and the sounds are so compressed on them that I haven't a clue whether it's right for me or not tbh.
I'd really like 1 of 2 things to happen here. Either someone with one of/experience with the amps or even Laney amps in general give me an extended pros and cons list so I can see whether it is right for me or not or someone can simply tell me what they would do if it were them. This would be incredibly helpful and I'd be really grateful.

Regarding Teles, I just want to clarify first that I am buying things in the right order. (I'm pretty sure that I know the answer to this.)

I really enjoy playing the guitars I have at the moment but I'd just love something that was a real WOW! guitar- not like super high-end Wow but something I can be fairly proud of and that I can gain respect using. For example, my current guitars are generally part of a lower end series i.e. my Ibanez says 'GIO' on it which I really don't like. I noticed that with Telecasters that it generally just says Fender Telecaster regardless of the model

-I'm still looking at a cheaper model of Tele (obviously MIM) but if I have enough to buy my amp before Christmas then I can ask relatives to chip in.

Thanks a lot.

Location- UK

New or Used- Used In both cases

Budget- Not sure. Suggestions will be considered case by case.

Style- Psychedelic/Hard Rock/Indie Rock/Alt Rock

The reason I'm doing this is mainly because I like knowing what I'm saving up for in order to really keep focus and not splash cash on other things.

Thanks again, please help me!
------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Two Piece band's Facebook https://www.facebook.com/TerrorpinBand

I just like to imagine that my neighbors enjoy their free, nightly concerts.
Go try them all if you can. The VC15/30 are sort of Vox-ish and would be a good place to start. The VC15 does have a 10" speaker so you may want to take that into consideration, but it may not be an issue at all for you.

If you can try out some G&L ASAT's I highly suggest you do
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Mar 12, 2014,
Get an AC30.

As for a tele, look at Warmoth. You can order it with whatever you want, all you have to do is bolt it together. They have a builder app on the site. I was playing around with it just before actually. This is what I came up with. As you can see, you can get pretty radical with it if you want.

Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I recall your last amp thread. The Vox AC30 was out of your budget, but honestly it the sound that you want. Or a VOX AC15 (cheaper, but maybe better for your needs. Some find the 30 watt version to be too loud). You could go second hand. The Laney VC is a decent, cheaper alternative. I've played one and it sounded good to my ears (but not as good as the vox :P). I would not doubt the fact that many of your favourite bands play through a Vox.

OF course what you must realise is that your plan will inevitably change . You'll buy an amp or a guitar or a pedal and you'll always want more! It's just the way it works with this wonderful hobby.

Get the amp first.
And for a good list of pros/cons, I'm sure you'll have no trouble finding one on a written review. Just use google or look in the reviews section of ultimate-guitar.
Quote by Cathbard
Get an AC30.

As for a tele, look at Warmoth. You can order it with whatever you want, all you have to do is bolt it together. They have a builder app on the site. I was playing around with it just before actually. This is what I came up with. As you can see, you can get pretty radical with it if you want.

I discovered warmoth a couple of weeks ago... friggin addictive!!
Prices are pretty reasonable IMO though, not sure about shipping
Yeah, and US international postage rates have like tripled recently on most things. Importing stuff from the US is becoming unviable. It's sad because I've been scoring heaps of good cheap shit from there for the last few years.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Yeah, and US international postage rates have like tripled recently on most things. Importing stuff from the US is becoming unviable. It's sad because I've been scoring heaps of good cheap shit from there for the last few years.

Thanks, Obama.
I'm always screwing with my rig. Muh chilluns:
Warmoth NRFR strat JB/Jazz
Mesa Boogie Royal Atlantic, Diezel 2x12
Turbo tuner, J Cantrell wah, Alesis 3630
Green Rhino, Wampler Velvet, Strymon ElCap/Lex, Phase 45
The Executive branch is responsible? How so? Not the House of Reps or the Senate? Just the Executive branch?
I'm not saying it isn't but it sounds more like something the other two branches would be more responsible for. I don't really understand American politics fully but it does seem that people blame the Executive office for EVERYTHING.
Enlighten me. How is it his fault specifically?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
The Executive branch is responsible? How so? Not the House of Reps or the Senate? Just the Executive branch?
I'm not saying it isn't but it sounds more like something the other two branches would be more responsible for. I don't really understand American politics fully but it does seem that people blame the Executive office for EVERYTHING.

nah the president just puts a face to our politics. easy blame. it's congress and the prez together that are to blame (or say good deal) for almost everything.

OP just have to chime in on the guitar thing. any guitar that feels good and sounds good should be one that makes you proud to own. the name on the headstock and the price doesn't automatically = proud. try as many as you can and see what works for you. I'd much rather have a $500 guitar that feels great to play and sounds good when I plug it in than a $2000 guitar that just doesn't work for me. I'd also rather have a plain guitar that meets my criteria than a fancy looking guitar that doesn't.
^ agree 100%
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Cathbard

Its become a common American joke. Like if you drop a pencil, "Thanks, Obama!"

I can't say it isn't deserving though. He qualifies for 27 of the 35 impeachment proceedings the last POTUS was accused. Of course, Dennis Kucinich looks out for his buddies on the Democratic party, and wouldn't dare bring it up because he's a Democrat. War suddenly becomes cool when the American left wing does it after the right wing was vilified for it.

F*cking hypocrites on both sides. Both parties control the media, and the media only covers their BS puppet show. Ignoring the Snowden leaks(which are MASSIVE and outrageous), ignoring the almost unanimous vote over NDAA and the PATRIOT act that enables spying and indefinite detention.

Now they're trying to pass gun control, and their only argument is the whole "for the children" fallacy. Plenty of data backing that countries with tighter restrictions have overall higher rates of crime.

Meanwhile, the DHS purchases mine resistant vehicles and billions of hollow point bullets for "domestic use", despite Obama saying "weapons of war have no place in our streets".

This place is literally turning into Nazi Germany. I hope both sides burn for it.
most of the laneys are pretty british-sounding, i think.

i'm not sure i'd call the vc "transparent". the lc is maybe more "transparent". However i think the vc would likely work better for what you want.

i haven't corroborated this but i've heard some rumours that the cub's preamp is jcm800-ish. so if you don't like marshalls...

then again i've never really looked at the vc or lc preamps in detail either. they could well be marshall-ish as well.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Guy_Mitchell
Its become a common American joke. Like if you drop a pencil, "Thanks, Obama!"

I can't say it isn't deserving though. He qualifies for 27 of the 35 impeachment proceedings the last POTUS was accused. Of course, Dennis Kucinich looks out for his buddies on the Democratic party, and wouldn't dare bring it up because he's a Democrat. War suddenly becomes cool when the American left wing does it after the right wing was vilified for it.

F*cking hypocrites on both sides. Both parties control the media, and the media only covers their BS puppet show. Ignoring the Snowden leaks(which are MASSIVE and outrageous), ignoring the almost unanimous vote over NDAA and the PATRIOT act that enables spying and indefinite detention.

Now they're trying to pass gun control, and their only argument is the whole "for the children" fallacy. Plenty of data backing that countries with tighter restrictions have overall higher rates of crime.

Meanwhile, the DHS purchases mine resistant vehicles and billions of hollow point bullets for "domestic use", despite Obama saying "weapons of war have no place in our streets".

This place is literally turning into Nazi Germany. I hope both sides burn for it.

Nazi Germany? I would have said Mussolini's Italy, myself. Government in bed with big business was the backbone of Italian Fascism, not German Naziism. George W's speeches always sounded to me like they were lifted directly out of Mussolini's manifesto with just the name changed from Rome to 'Merica.
But I'm not saying it's just the Republicans. From where I sit, partisan politics looks like an example of JD Salinger's statement, "get them asking the wrong questions and you don't have to worry about the answers."
The only difference between the left wing and the right wing is that with the right wing, the man with his boot on your throat has a snappier uniform.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
So, Pacifica Ocean...did any of the comparisons between American politics and German/Italian fascism lead you to a "Final Solution" to your "Master Plan?"

The only difference between the left wing and the right wing is that with the right wing, the man with his boot on your throat has a snappier uniform.

The dress unis of the SS and Italian officers certainly did have some pinache.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Mar 15, 2014,
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Pacifica Ocean
I'd just love something that was a real WOW! guitar- not like super high-end Wow but something I can be fairly proud of and that I can gain respect using.

Here in LA every butthole has a "Wow" guitar; dime a dozen and nobody cares.
Douche cred only.

You gain respect by playing the crap out of your instrument, whatever it is. Dunno how it is where you are.

Same deal with amps. Unless it's important that you show up in your bedroom.

Any decent 30-watt tube amp will suffice for anything you need to do, except for covers.
My advice, though, is to pick up a Pod HD and run it through something Full Range Flat Response until you really know what it is you want. I picked up a Pod XT years ago partly to practice via headphones (hive living and the prospect of someone providing criticism of your loud paying with a .44Mag through the wall from two townhouses over) and partly so that I could get a feel for the different amp types that are out there. I used what I learned with the Pod to pick out my tube amps, and then I ended up retiring those tube amps, pretty much, in favor of using modelers for everything.

Easier to cart around, far more versatile, better recording tool, highly tweakable (with the accompanying editing software).
Quote by dspellman
Here in LA every butthole has a "Wow" guitar; dime a dozen and nobody cares.
Douche cred only.

You gain respect by playing the crap out of your instrument, whatever it is. Dunno how it is where you are.

“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Cathbard

Quote by dannyalcatraz
So, Pacifica Ocean...did any of the comparisons between American politics and German/Italian fascism lead you to a "Final Solution" to your "Master Plan?"

The dress unis of the SS and Italian officers certainly did have some pinache.

Oh man. That's enough internet for the night.
Tank yew, tank yew, I vill be here all ze veek!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by Cathbard
Nazi Germany? I would have said Mussolini's Italy, myself.

nah, nazi germany is accurate. we're trying to push a bill that makes jewish people wear a star of david so we can easily identify and persecute them. we've really been cranking up the racial purity thing recently too.

we were going to start up some concentration camps for the unfavorables but they're two years behind schedule and way over budget cuz it's a gov't project. hopefully we'll be gassing gays, jews and gypsies by the 2016 election...

i am not exactly happy with the US's decisions and policies, but i'll start worrying about living in a fascist state when they prohibit me from complaining (or going door to door to take our guns away). i really wouldn't know what it's like to live under a totalitarian gov't, but i have to imagine it is far worse than this.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by gumbilicious
i am not exactly happy with the US's decisions and policies, but i'll start worrying about living in a fascist state when they prohibit me from complaining (or going door to door to take our guns away). i really wouldn't know what it's like to live under a totalitarian gov't, but i have to imagine it is far worse than this.

Agreed, still a pretty damn good place to live. Bears watching, as always, but it's not bad...yet.
Charles Darwin
Bears scare me. I'd hate to live somewhere where bears were always watching me.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

Don't worry, I'd fight a bear for you! Well, not a Grizzly or a big Brown. Or a Black bear.

But, like, a Care Bear. Yeah, I'd totally f*ck one of those up on your behalf!!

Charles Darwin
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

Especially bareass. Doesn't matter whether you're bareass or the bears are bareass, but bareass bear watching is badass.
ok now i'm freaked out
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah, but Dave, you're scared of little bugs too.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
i'm more scared of dspellman
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?