I wanted to upload a pic, but my laptop's broken and directly uploading a pic from my phone isn't quite working (filesize too big).

Sooo...

I owned an MXR M80 a while ago. I wanted to like it, but couldn't quite. There was just something off about it.

Read up a bit more on the Sansamp, sold the MXR, got that instead. Liked it a bit more, but still wanted it to sound a bit gruffer. Less overdriven, more distorted. Experimented with an EQ, and a bass big muff. Sounded nice, especially the muff came alive played through the sansamp, but it was also not exactly what I wanted.

Then the other day I went '**** it' and decided to re-purchase an MXR M80.

Holyshitnuggets.

The Sansamp fixes everything that bugged me about the MXR M80. And the other way around. I boost the mids on the MXR, keep the colour switch off, bass and treble flat, blend the Sansamp halfway, bass flat, cut treble, boost presence; Epic clean tone. It's sliiightly overdriven but still clear and warm. And not at all farty. And then I switch on the MXR's distortion and boom!

Already tried the tone in several songs/mixes and it really holds up. It sounds less boxy, more present, and both the Sansamp and MXR now sound good, and in a way organic and real. **** yeah.

So my question is: Who else does this?

You always see debates on Sansamp VS MXR.
Why not both? They can easily live in harmony, and sound beautiful together.

I realise it's quite costly to get both, and it did take me a while to gather the funds for both, but to me it was totally worth it.

tldr; Sansamp OR MXR M80? No. Sansamp AND MXR M80. Who else does this?
I have both, and while I prefer the SansAmp RPM, the MXR Bass D.I. is a fine pedal all by itself. If you are getting the sound you want by using both at once, then by all means, go for it. Whatever works - that is the only rule.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Sounds like a nice idea. The only problem I can imagine with using 2 pedals daisy-chained together is potential noise issues but as long as that's not too much of an issue it sounds like a great idea (y)
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
The noise is not an issue at all. I have the gain on both set to kinda low, so together with the MXR's built in noise gate it's a very quiet setup.

I just wondered why everyone is always so one or the other, y'know? And for a cleaner basstone I prefer the sansamp. But to make my bass roar? Defo the MXR.
Then I shall insert my erect penis into the narrow vaginal cavity of my blood-relative whom I predate by approximately 5 years.
Yes it is Blasphemy.

Saint Entwistle taught all of us, his Spawn, that we are of the Modern Era. We are Bassists! We re-write rules, we push the envelope, we discover new worlds and lead the way.

We are the Misfits. We are the Blasphemers against the four corners of the two schools of thought. We beat them up on the playground, take their lunch money, and make them watch us feast.

We are Bassists. The Vikings of Music.

Noise problems.?!

Noise gates solve most of that, and are most effective in Effects Loops between a Tube Pre and the Power Section on your amp. That way you get ALL of it cut out. (Brilliant, I should take my own advice some day!)

Historically the noise I have heard is from old patch cables and boxes that have not been maintained. (People look at all of my debris and immediately think it is going to be BuzzHell, but it is not when done correctly.)

Recording last week, setting up the Studio the grizzled Guitar Player had noise issues. I told him to scrap the Adapters and go to Batteries. Took the pedals out of the path and began adding them back in on battery power.

He just got some dirty A/C from a bad wall circuit.

Number of Pedals has never been a noise issue for me, so it should not be for you.

Go forth and Pillage!
Ibanez BTB 1006 Fretless and 405 (no Barts)
456 & 455(w/Barts)
Genz Benz NeoX400 112T & NeoX 112T cab.
Digitech BP-8 (x2)
Yamaha PB-1
Boss: SYB-5, PS-2, OD-20, EQ-20, PH-3,BF-3, CE-20, DD-20
Morely A/B
Quote by Sliide90027
Noise problems.?!

Noise gates solve most of that, and are most effective in Effects Loops between a Tube Pre and the Power Section on your amp. That way you get ALL of it cut out. (Brilliant, I should take my own advice some day!)

I can't agree with all of that. Distortions and dynamic pedals tend to compress your signal (as is their nature). This means that the noise present while you're not playing is relatively louder than it would otherwise be. If you try to gate the affected signal you're going to have to raise the threshold considerably, potentially to the point where you're negatively affecting your sustain by cutting off the tail of long notes. The source of the bulk of this noise in most cases is from the instrument itself; if a particular piece of gear is generating a lot of noise, aside from of a distortion/compression pedal (which as we've ascertained cause an unavoidable raise in the relative level of the noise flaw in your signal path) then you should probably just replace it. A pre-amp should not generate enough noise to require use of a post-preamp gate to achieve tolerable noise levels. If you place the noise gate right at the beginning of your signal directly after the guitar in order to gate out the natural noise your instrument generates (almost certainly the noisiest piece of equipment in any signal chain) before it is amplified to irritating levels by distortions and such, you can achieve the same result without having to affect other elements of the over-all sound in quite the same way.
Spare a Cow
Eat a Vegan
Well Ziph, I have not yet experimented with that position of my NG.

The NG in my BP8 is between my 2/4 and 3/4 preamps in my signal path.

Choruses seem to breathe a bit, and I just like absolute silence when I am not playing.

So far with all the Pres and the 18v on the Bass, tone voltages being trapped by the NG is not an issue. The only thing I am left to hear is the Tube waiting for me to play.

So far I get no complaints about the feared noise of having 8 pedals and a multi unit. Avoiding that is really the primary target, because it is the last thing brought up before someone is fired, from my observation.

You offer great observations.
Ibanez BTB 1006 Fretless and 405 (no Barts)
456 & 455(w/Barts)
Genz Benz NeoX400 112T & NeoX 112T cab.
Digitech BP-8 (x2)
Yamaha PB-1
Boss: SYB-5, PS-2, OD-20, EQ-20, PH-3,BF-3, CE-20, DD-20
Morely A/B