So I ordered parts to start building one one humbucker strat. I got home and found this:

Open it up and this is what I found:

Tomorrow the hardware should arrive from GFS. I'll update as it goes. Hopefully painting will start either tomorrow or next week. It will have a GFS Fat Pat in the bridge, one tone, one volume and a switch to go between series, parallel, and coil tap. I'm painting it a flat white. Here's a mock up of around what it should look like:

I'll try and update as I go. This is by far my biggest guitar endeavor so hopefully it'll go well
Guitars:
PRS SE Custom 24
Partscaster
MIM Tele
Gear:
Em Drive Clone (w/ Klon buffer) > Paramount Clone > OCD > Westminster Effects Knox 800 > ISP Decimator > m5 > Nova Repeater > Trinity T2 > W.E. Sturgeon Reverb > AC15C1
Good luck!

Here's a pic of my old one to keep you motivated.

Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
You know, after you get this done, next you will be building one from scratch. It's inevitable.
Started making progress last night. The electronics came in from GFS so I wired up my pickguard. I used this diagram:

Here's what it looks like:

I struggled to get the ground soldered on top of the pots but other than that it went pretty well. Honestly some of the better joints I have done so I was happy. Hopefully I'll start painting next week
Guitars:
PRS SE Custom 24
Partscaster
MIM Tele
Gear:
Em Drive Clone (w/ Klon buffer) > Paramount Clone > OCD > Westminster Effects Knox 800 > ISP Decimator > m5 > Nova Repeater > Trinity T2 > W.E. Sturgeon Reverb > AC15C1
This actually got me motivated. I also just bought a kit. Good luck on yours.
Thanks. You too. So I didn't know the neck was unfinished when I bought it but I think I'm going to tru oil it instead of doing a poly finish. Is thee anyone who has really strong opinions either way or for a different finish?
Guitars:
PRS SE Custom 24
Partscaster
MIM Tele
Gear:
I did a true oil on an acoustic neck an it feels real smooth to the touch. Not sticky at all. I used steal wool between each coat and applied about 4 total I believe.
Alright so I might have made my first mistake. I went to paint my guitar but I didn't fill the grain. After two coats it's looking like this:

Question: will I have to sand these coats down and fill the grain and reapply paint? If so what would you recommend to fill it, if not what do I have to do?

Thanks for any suggestions
Guitars:
PRS SE Custom 24
Partscaster
MIM Tele
Gear:
Well I've started sanding the body back down. I got some tru oil yesterday and started on the neck. I should get grain filler and sealer this weekend so hopefully I'll be working on the finish next week.

I've now finished the neck with a couple coats of tru oil and installed the tuners:

Also finished sanding the body back down:

I put on grain filler tonight. Tomorrow will be sealer and then first real coat of paint during the week. I'm hoping by next week I should be about done
Guitars:
PRS SE Custom 24
Partscaster
MIM Tele
Gear:
Last edited by Sox0690 at Mar 22, 2014,
Alright I've started painting again. I ran out of paint and am going to have to grab some more but I put together a mock up with what I have done now. I'm not gonna lie, I think it looks awesome. The paint still has a ways to go and looks much better in the pics than in real life. Well, here's what everyone browses for: pics

Guitars:
PRS SE Custom 24
Partscaster
MIM Tele
Gear:
It looks good, where did you get the kit. I started working on mine as well. I'll post more on my three in a bit..
96 MIJ Jackson
Charvel DC 1 FR
PRS SE Custom 24
Yamaha FG730S
DIY acoustic
DIY mockingbird
Peavey classic 50 2x12
Yeah, where did you get the kit?
It's definitely looking awesome.

If you wanna check out what i did to my Strat, here's the link: click me
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
It's not a kit. I bought the body, neck and switch from musicians friend and the rest from GFS. Body and neck are mighty mite. The neck could use a little work that I might do down the line. The fret edges are a little rough but it could be much worse. Everything combined will end up around $450. Hopefully I'll have it about done by the end of the weekend
Guitars:
PRS SE Custom 24
Partscaster
MIM Tele
Gear:
Sweet. I upgraded my pickups to GFS. I will look at the mighty mite stuff to see what it is.
The stuff from GFS is kind of rough also, but with sand paper and steel wool, I have nicked the edges down.
96 MIJ Jackson
Charvel DC 1 FR
PRS SE Custom 24
Yamaha FG730S
DIY acoustic
DIY mockingbird
Peavey classic 50 2x12