Hello everyone,

I'm re-learning guitar after a 10 year hiatus and am considering buying a new guitar (primarily for playing metal). While window shopping online, I keep coming back to the King V with the Rhoads V as a second choice.

I know opinions on guitars and pickups vary widely, so I'll ask a specific question: What is the general consensus on the stock setup Jackson X-Series guitars? Are they still too "low end?" I've heard they are good guitars for the money, and I've also heard they aren't that great. Unfortunately where I live, I can't go to a music store and try them.

The USAs are unfortunately out of my price range and I ask specifically about the stock setups because, whether it's a Jackson or something else, ultimately I'd like to buy a guitar I don't have to swap the pickups out of or fiddle with to have a decent sound.

Any thoughts on these guitars or other buying tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
THey're too low-end imo. Having neck through construction is nice, but the guitars make too many compromises to keep them affordable. To be fair though, at such a price range, you do have to make a lot of compromises. The Pro series are pretty awesome though.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Mar 12, 2014,
I think the RRXT is pretty good. Played a few of them and didn't feel much of a difference compared to my KB Rhoads (which IIRC is one of the old pro series). Try one out if you get the chance.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I think the RRXT is pretty good. Played a few of them and didn't feel much of a difference compared to my KB Rhoads (which IIRC is one of the old pro series). Try one out if you get the chance.

If it feels like the old KB rhodes, I want one.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Fisheth24
If it feels like the old KB rhodes, I want one.

If you'd said that a week ago, you could've had the KB for around the same price as a new X-series. Courtesy of me getting rid of mine and nobody wanting it.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I have a SLXQ. The build quality Is very good for the price. The guitar has great action, the trem holds tune well, and to top it off it is a beautiful guitar. I also like the weight if the guitar. I bought the guitar on the cheap on CL with plans to resell it. If I didn't have so many already I need to be selling I might keep it.