Why do SG's have crazy sustain? Is it the neck-thru design?

I went over to a shop and played around with several SG's, and all of them had crazy long sustain. I plugged into a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe and easily got feedback on clean mode, feedback starting from zero volume and increasing. On all but one I got feedback starting from vibrato, without even plucking the string.

I could never get feedback (I guess this is a sign of good sustain?) from any of my guitars except with lots of gain, and no other guitars were close to the SG's in sustain, not even the Les Paul's.
SG's are not neck through. The idea that neck through designs enhance sustain is a myth.

All you're hearing is harmonic feedback, which is more than likely caused by factors that have little to do with the sustain of the guitar itself, with the exception being that the pickups in SG's are prone to being more microphonic than they are in les pauls, because of the size of the pickup routings.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Mar 12, 2014,
Probably just the pickups in the models you played. SG's/LP's come with a variety of different pups
SG's are made for the 80's high gain sound, it's no doubt that they would have pretty good sustain. However if you really want a guitar with good sustain, you should look at some modern metal guitars, or get a compression pedal
Peavey 6505+ Head (Left)
Line 6 Spider IV HD150 Head (Right)
Marshall 1960A 4x12
ESP DV-8
Ibanez RG T42DX
Agile Hornet Pro 727
Quote by Br0c00ler
SG's are made for the 80's high gain sound, it's no doubt that they would have pretty good sustain. However if you really want a guitar with good sustain, you should look at some modern metal guitars, or get a compression pedal

I doubt that they had an 80's high gain sound in mind when Gibson SG's were first designed in the early 60s.
^^That

Even Eric Johnson and Eric clapton used them for blues. Clapton offcourse using it far before the 80's. As did Angus young, who has far from a high gain sound.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Mar 13, 2014,
Quote by AmIEvil?
I doubt that they had an 80's high gain sound in mind when Gibson SG's were first designed in the early 60s.

Win!!!
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Charvel So Cal Pro Mod, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
None of my SGs have anything more than average sustain (but since i'm not obsessed with sustain this isn't a big deal for me). I think the guitar I own that has the longest sustain is my 1979 Hagstrom Super Swede, which sustains like nigel tufnel's sunburst les paul and then some.

I think it may have just been something to do with the output of the pickups in the guitars you played, or natural compression of the amp you were using or something like that. SGs do generally sustain better than strats and teles but are otherwise mediocre in the sustain department - that's one of the reasons why Les Paul rejected the SG design as the "new" Les Paul model in 1961.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
I could be wrong but I have a vague feeling that TS has a reputation for being a troll. From back in the day. Could be wrong. Certainly his initial post suggests it.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I could be wrong but I have a vague feeling that TS has a reputation for being a troll. From back in the day. Could be wrong. Certainly his initial post suggests it.

I used to be, but not anymore