I'm a new learner.
It seems my finger nails are different from most people.
even when my finger nails are freshly cut, when pressing against the fingerboard,
the nails will touch the board and release all the pressure.

I can only hold down the string at 45 degrees without the finger nails touching the board.

Can anyone help with my problem?
or is it just impossible for me to play guiter ?

Thanks a lot !
cut them shorter. My nails end 2-3mm before the end of the fleshy part of the finger.
The thing is, my nails are already cut right up to the freshy part at the tip.
cut any further will start to bleed !
Quote by deano_l
cut them shorter. My nails end 2-3mm before the end of the fleshy part of the finger.

I think I have really strange fingers.
My nails end 0mm before the end of the fleshy part of the finger
This mean if my finger is pressing at right angle onto the fingerboard, the nail will touch the board.

If I press the string with the pad, the pad will be touching the next string down
Last edited by i4kai at Mar 13, 2014,
Post a pic with your hand and arm on the fretboard playing like your normaly do.
Last edited by Phallic Tractor at Mar 13, 2014,
Quote by i4kai
If I press the string with the pad, the pad will be touching the next string down

You shouldn't really be fretting with the very tip of your finger anyway; that's a hang over from classical technique that people like to say but isn't completely true for electric playing.

It's an issue of muting; with classical you want to have the strings able to ring as much as possible since if you're picking accurately (which you should be) then you generally don't have to think about sympathetic vibrations because on an acoustic instrument they're drowned out by the notes you are playing easily.

On an electric (especially with distortion) that's no longer the case since the signal gets compressed and you hear strings ringing sympathetically much more easily. You have to work a bit harder at muting constantly for electric playing so actually, as a general rule, having your fretting fingers touching the strings above and below the one you're playing is a good thing.

You generally want to be fretting with the part of your finger that's kind of between the very tip and the pad of your finger; you completely lose precision if you fret with the pad but the tip isn't practical for electric playing.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I fret at the very center of the fingertips, directly underneath the nail, where the fingerprint spiral begins
Hmm, interesting fingernail setup.

I can see it being good for a picker on their right hand, but a problem on the left.

You could try pressing less hard, see if that helps, generally beginners press far harder than they need to, though that's something you can usually only cure with time spent working on technique.
( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvhZ80OsuTQ )

If nothing helps, and there's nothing you can do about your nails, then you could look at getting some kind of fake fingertip made.
Worked fine for Tony Iommi (Black Sabbath) who lost the tips of 2 fingers and wears fake tips.
Last edited by poet666 at Mar 14, 2014,
Quote by i4kai
I think I have really strange fingers.
My nails end 0mm before the end of the fleshy part of the finger
This mean if my finger is pressing at right angle onto the fingerboard, the nail will touch the board.

your fingernail should be trimmed back behind the fingertip. If your cuticles are actually at the every edge of your finger, well, that's pretty unusual. I keep mine cut so there's little to no white part left. Like, if I cut them any shorter it'd draw blood.
Thank you for the information.

I will make myself some fake finger tips, and give it a try!
My guitar teacher always said to keep my nail biting habit up when I was like 12 hahaha.
Just another Sheep in the design of the Almighty Machine.

-GEAR-
Gibson 60s Les Paul Tribute (Sunburst)
1999 Ibanez RG470 (TitaniumIce-MIJ)
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
Cut, then file.

Get a good nail file. I had the same problem. I now cut as short as I can, and file off more. The nail clippers actually crush the end of the nail, preventing you from getting them as short as possible. Problem vanished without pain.