I am certain Im doing something wrong with power chords because after a short time my forearm hurts. I wish I coud show a picture but I can't so I will be detaile as possible. I think my arm is the issue. Say if I'm playing an f power chord with root on 6th sting. My thumb is centered on the back of the neck. My fingers Are curled over to make the shape. If you drew a line from my hand to elbow it would be a diagonal line from the guitar neck. What am I doing wrong? any help is good.
It sounds like (to me) you might be putting too much pressure on the strings. Only use as much as you need to make the notes ring out.
How long have you been playing?
Small hand? Wide 60s neck?

Try wrapping your thumb around the neck.

If you can find a position in which your hands don't pain you, use it.
Some times you have to take short cuts with technique to match your physical abilities.
(Think Django)
Been playing on and off for about 2 years. Slimtaper 60s d neck. You sure it's not my technique? If I'm at fret one my elbow is really close to my body pointing inward.
I have the same problem a lot of the time. I have a lot of strain on my thumb as well and I'm not sure why. But I guess that might be a result of too much pressure as well?
You say your elbow is at a diagonal line to the neck, what sort of angle? Is it quite significant, say more than 15-20 degrees? If so that may be your problem, try to bring your elbow out away from your body and as close to perpendicular to the neck of your guitar.
Is this a problem when you're standing or sitting? Is your strap really low? What kind of posture do have when you sit? What fingering do you use?

If you drew a line from my hand to elbow it would be a diagonal line from the guitar neck

Not sure what you mean. Is your fretting hand wrist at a bad angle? Ideal would be to keep your wrist as straight as possible compared to your forearm.
I find it easier and more comfortable for the hand to fret power chord with index on E string and pinky at A string. But that's only for song parts that doesn't require chord shifts from E to A string. For example, in Damage inc, and Master of puppets with those ascending slides, it's more comfortable to do it with index/pinky fingering. Maybe that's just me.
If you mean Perpendicular or nearly that to the fret board my wrist is not straigh. And this is main sitting down. How do I keep my wrist straight and my elbow away from my body?
Quote by AngryHatter
How long have you been playing?
Small hand? Wide 60s neck?

Try wrapping your thumb around the neck.

If you can find a position in which your hands don't pain you, use it.
Some times you have to take short cuts with technique to match your physical abilities.
(Think Django)

I agree that you should try different hand positions and find which suits you well. There is no harm in trying and not everyone plays the same way.

Wrapping the whole hand on the guitar neck relieves the pressure on your thumb.

If you think your playing position gets in the way of your progress then the solution is to try something else. Being comfortable is very important.
For 'Ultimate Guitar' Members: I wrote an ebook called "The Ultimate Guide To Playing The Guitar".

If you'd like a FREE copy of it, you can do so by Clicking Here