Hello all, thanks in advance for the read.

My roommate has a job where he sometimes works with popular musician's equipment rigs. Well about a year ago a bass tech from a well known 70s band gave him a 6x12 custom made cab that was never being used. In decades. It was a gift.

Literally the cab was on our apt walkway for a year collecting dust. Then one day we had to move it into the apt because they were painting. While it was in our kitchen we decided to take it apart and see if it worked.

Lo and behold there are six pristine vintage k120s... So we check all the wiring and connect it up to one of my roommates bass amps. Wow it shook the complex. So then we got a guitar and a distortion pedal and then it really kicked ass!

No interest in finding out it's worth, selling it, etc...

What I do want to do know/hear is about my options in building a guitar cab with these speakers. Couple things:

Personal project I have decided to undertake. I have access to other guitar amplifiers so this is not a necessity. Money is not a big problem, but I won't be making it out of gold.

I was actually at one time a fairly talented woodworker. I built houses and trim carpentry for a few summers in my 20s. I have access to an open warehouse with all the tools I would need. Electric/wiring is not a concern for me.

I am not sure what I am going to do with it? I am having fun. I want it to be LOUD. I am looking for a great tone with these speakers.

This is my first custom project and I would really like to build a 4x12. Yet I can also see the value in a nice custom finished 2x12. Thoughts?

I don't have a lot of knowledge with the speaker and any insight would be greatly appreciated. For instance, do these historically sound better in open or closed cabs?

Well thanks for listening. Again I appreciate any helpful response!
Quote by roeqhi
This is my first custom project and I would really like to build a 4x12. Yet I can also see the value in a nice custom finished 2x12. Thoughts?
6x12 - 4x12 = 2x12 = Result! You can make both.

If you can cut a piece of wood to the right size and join it to another piece of wood then you can definitely make a speaker cabinet.

Advice on materials and dimensions will have to come from somone else. Best of luck.