Hello, UG!

I'm setting up my pedalboard, and I'd like to get a Delay and a Fuzz.

I don't have any experience with neither of these effects, and I'm not a great guitarrist.

Amp: Custom made 30W Tube Amp on a 12" Speaker. Great bright cleans. I should change the tubes for JJs, though. It has a spring reverb and no FX Loop. All the effects go right to the amp.

Axes: Epiphone G400 and a Brazilian woods Stratocaster copy.

Pedals: Dunlop Cry Baby, Digitech Bad Monkey (OD), Digitech Hot Rod (Dist) and Boss RC3 (Looper).

Will be buying from e-bay. Have a preference for New equipment.

What I'll be playing? I play a lot of everything I can, which is not much. But mostly hard or classic rock.

For the Fuzz, my intention is to get some Rolling Stones, Hendrix, Led Zeppelin tone, etc. And to be able to play Elevation.

I want the delay to get some smoother U2 (I'm not a big U2 fan). I don't really think I'll be using more than 500ms for delay, and to add a little bit of color to my tone.

Budget: Thinking of US$ 200.00ish for both. I could stretch a tiny bit, if it was REALLY worth it.

To the Options:

Fuzz:

EHX Satisfaction - I've heard some good stuff about this pedal. It's small, goes for around US$ 50.00.

Dunlop FuzzFace Mini - A small edition of a classic, a little bit more compressed, though, but I'm sure it would get the job done. It's not very pedalboard friendly. Goes for around US$ 100.00.

Way Huge Swollen Picke MKII - I don't really know much of this pedal. Great reviews, though, and lots of controls. I don't think I'd like a pedal that needed to be tweaked a lot, but wouldn't mind if it was a great pedal. Goes for around US$ 130,00.

Boss FZ-5 - Well, it's a Boss Fuzz. Don't know much about it. Goes for around US$ 90.00.

Delay:

EHX Memory Toy - Small. I have played a little with it, and haven't disliked it. I don't have much knowledge to talk a lot about delays, but reviews have been mixed. I REALLY wouldn't like anything that could volume boost my playing (I could use my OD for that). Goes for around US$ 110,00.

MXR Carbon Copy - Another classic, small pedal. Few controls to use. Some say it has a darker sound. I don't like the idea of opening it for tweaking. Goes for around US$ 150.00.

Vox Time Machine - Had seen some good reviews about it. Seem to deliver some nice tones with additional controls. Tap Tempo. Goes for around US$ 145.00.

Malekko 616 MKII - The best reviews I've seen. Nobody talks badly about this pedal. A nice delay headroom and external controls. Again, maybe a little too much controls. Goes for around US$ 150.00.

For these specific pedals, it is very hard to find places to test them. So I'll have to trust your help. Please, feel free to suggest any pedals out of this list. Or even other kinds of pedals.

Thanks a lot!

Rock on!
Last edited by YellowCat at Mar 13, 2014,
Boss DD 5...or better. 5 is the first one with the option for the external tap-tempo which is a must when live gigging, pure pain in the ass trying to get the others into tap mode!! It also is the first that has the "third-eighths" like U2 would use. Sounds great too!!
I believe in god, jesus and the holy ghost.....or as i call them Angus, Kirk and Lemmy
For what I know, Malekko makes pretty much the best delay pedals out there if you don't want to spend +300 euros. Boss pedals are a safe bet too, but much of their price goes to their indestructible nature, tone wise, there are better pedals for the price imo.

For a Fuzz, well I know nothing of the saisfaction. But the Fuzz Face is the classic Hendrix tone fuzzbox, it's the usual go-to pedal for classic rock fuzziness. I have tried the Swollen Pickle, my friend owns one, and it's one of those fizzy, sizzly fuzzes. If you're looking for a more saturated and raw fuzz tone, the Pickle is better than the Fuzz Face.
For delay, i'd get the TC Electronics Flashback X4. Amazing sound, very versatile, and it's also a looper.

As far as fuzz goes, IMHO the best are the Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina, the Black Arts Toneworks Pharaoh Fuzz and the EarthQuaker Devices Hoof (in that order).
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Linkerman, I do agree with you on the delay, it's just too bad that he has a budget of $200 for both. Even X4 goes over on it's own. The normal Flashback has an audio "tap" tempo option and it is versatile too.

I would recommend going for Swollen Pickle and then saving up for a delay that you would really like. Though you say that you don't like the idea of modifying the sound from inside, this one has that option too.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Quote by Sakke
Linkerman, I do agree with you on the delay, it's just too bad that he has a budget of $200 for both.

Oh, my bad. I only looked at the prices of the most expensive fuzz+delay he listed, i didn't notice the total budget.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Check out the Red Muck Fuzz.

Edit- Considering your budget, go with a Big Muff.
Last edited by Dimarzio45 at Mar 13, 2014,
If you wanted to splash out on the fuzz, the Joyo analog delay is a really nice, cheap option.
If you go used, you can get nicer pedals that you will probably like better. Just throwing that out there.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
I got a carbon copy cheap of kijiji (Canadian craigslist), try buying used stuff local. I really like it but most digital delays these days can emulate an analog delay pretty well, plus do a whole lot more.
Greetings!!

First of all, thank you for all your kind replies!

Quote by Blackst4r
Boss DD 5...or better. 5 is the first one with the option for the external tap-tempo which is a must when live gigging, pure pain in the ass trying to get the others into tap mode!! It also is the first that has the "third-eighths" like U2 would use. Sounds great too!!

I always think twice when buying Boss pedals. It seems to me that almost every time, there is a better bang for the buck.

Quote by guitar/bass95
For what I know, Malekko makes pretty much the best delay pedals out there if you don't want to spend +300 euros. Boss pedals are a safe bet too, but much of their price goes to their indestructible nature, tone wise, there are better pedals for the price imo.

For a Fuzz, well I know nothing of the saisfaction. But the Fuzz Face is the classic Hendrix tone fuzzbox, it's the usual go-to pedal for classic rock fuzziness. I have tried the Swollen Pickle, my friend owns one, and it's one of those fizzy, sizzly fuzzes. If you're looking for a more saturated and raw fuzz tone, the Pickle is better than the Fuzz Face.

I think I can stretch my budget to fit a Fuzz Face and a Malekko 616.

I think I'm looking for a more "classic" sound of fuzz, if you know what I mean.. So I think I'd get the Fuzz Face over the Swollen Pickle.

And you have confirmed what I've always heard about the 616! Tks

Quote by Linkerman
For delay, i'd get the TC Electronics Flashback X4. Amazing sound, very versatile, and it's also a looper.

As far as fuzz goes, IMHO the best are the Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina, the Black Arts Toneworks Pharaoh Fuzz and the EarthQuaker Devices Hoof (in that order).

Actually, I considered the Flashback. The X4 is too big and expensive for what I want.

But I must say that with so many buttons and tweaking I could get lost in the buttons. What do you think?

Quote by Sakke
Linkerman, I do agree with you on the delay, it's just too bad that he has a budget of $200 for both. Even X4 goes over on it's own. The normal Flashback has an audio "tap" tempo option and it is versatile too.

I would recommend going for Swollen Pickle and then saving up for a delay that you would really like. Though you say that you don't like the idea of modifying the sound from inside, this one has that option too.

Do you think the Flashback would be a better option than the Malekko 616?

Regarding the fuzz, I think I'd rather get a classic tone, than a more saturaded/raw one. Would I get it with the Swollen Pickle?

Quote by Linkerman

I'm not really willing to buy an X4. I think it would be an overkill. I could get a normal Flashback, though. Do you think it is that good?

Regarding the fuzzes, I still have to look for some reviews of the ones you posted. They are a little expensive, but if they are like OMFG great, I could stretch a little, or save on the Delay.

Quote by Dimarzio45
Check out the Red Muck Fuzz.

Edit- Considering your budget, go with a Big Muff.

I like the Big Muff. But I don't think it's really the Fuzz tone I'd like.

Quote by Boreesimo
If you wanted to splash out on the fuzz, the Joyo analog delay is a really nice, cheap option.

It's dirt cheap, actually. But the site does not tell much. What else could you say about this pedal? I'm gonna look for some reviews.

Quote by bluestratplayer
If you go used, you can get nicer pedals that you will probably like better. Just throwing that out there.

You are totally right. But in Brazil used equipment is sold for almost the price of new equipment.

I could check some useds on e-Bay, though. Do you think it is worth the try? I mean... Maybe I have the risk to buy something that was not well taken care of.

Quote by pilihpmai
I got a carbon copy cheap of kijiji (Canadian craigslist), try buying used stuff local. I really like it but most digital delays these days can emulate an analog delay pretty well, plus do a whole lot more.

I had the CC as one of my first options. However, I've read that it compresses the sound a lot, and add a lot of muddy and bassy tones. Is it correct?

Well, guys, thank you a lot.

If you have anything to add, please do. I'm a little bit lost here.

Are almost all the other pedals I listed junk?

Thanks once more!

Rock on
Quote by YellowCat
(...)

From what you just said, don't get the Swollen Pickle nor any of the fuzz pedals i suggested. They are all Big Muff clones/variants, and you seem to be looking for a Fuzz Face-style fuzz.
I can't offer you much advice on that, since i'm personally a fan of the nasty, thick, Big Muff kind of fuzz.

That said, when i tried the Dunlop Fuzz Face (don't know which specific version, i only remember that the enclosure was red and circular shaped) i quite liked it, it sounded really nice. Not my kind of fuzz, but still, i thought it did a great job.

Regarding the delay, i think you wouldn't be "overwhelmed" by all the functions on the Flashback X4. It's pretty easy to learn how to use all its functions, and don't forget that it's also a looper, which is a nice function to have, and will come in handy sooner or later.

If you still feel the Flashback X4 has "too much buttons", or that it's too big, i think the basic Flashback would still be the best choice.
The analog mode on the Flashback is very good, and it has all the other modes. The Carbon Copy and the Malekko 616, excellent as they are, are kind of a one-trick pony. If, at any time, you want a different kind of delay, they won't deliver; while the Flashback gives you much more versatility.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by Linkerman
From what you just said, don't get the Swollen Pickle nor any of the fuzz pedals i suggested. They are all Big Muff clones/variants, and you seem to be looking for a Fuzz Face-style fuzz.
I can't offer you much advice on that, since i'm personally a fan of the nasty, thick, Big Muff kind of fuzz.

That said, when i tried the Dunlop Fuzz Face (don't know which specific version, i only remember that the enclosure was red and circular shaped) i quite liked it, it sounded really nice. Not my kind of fuzz, but still, i thought it did a great job.

Regarding the delay, i think you wouldn't be "overwhelmed" by all the functions on the Flashback X4. It's pretty easy to learn how to use all its functions, and don't forget that it's also a looper, which is a nice function to have, and will come in handy sooner or later.

If you still feel the Flashback X4 has "too much buttons", or that it's too big, i think the basic Flashback would still be the best choice.
The analog mode on the Flashback is very good, and it has all the other modes. The Carbon Copy and the Malekko 616, excellent as they are, are kind of a one-trick pony. If, at any time, you want a different kind of delay, they won't deliver; while the Flashback gives you much more versatility.

Thanks! From what you said, I think the basic Flashback is a nice option. I think I'm going to get it as my first option!

As to the Fuzz... Yeah, I think something smoother/classic would suit my style better! So, maybe, the Fuzz Face is the best shot.

Thanks a lot!
I think anyone who is looking for an amazing fuzz should get a Wampler Velvet. It can go from a can of bees to almost an overdrive. I love it.

I also think the Malekko is a great idea.
I'm always screwing with my rig. Muh chilluns:
Warmoth NRFR strat JB/Jazz
Mesa Boogie Royal Atlantic, Diezel 2x12
Turbo tuner, J Cantrell wah, Alesis 3630
Green Rhino, Wampler Velvet, Strymon ElCap/Lex, Phase 45