I'd like to know what you guys think of my voice. If it's really bad (since I can't tell for some reason if it's good or not), please tell me how I can improve. I would also like to know how the tone of my voice sounds to you(like annoying or hopefully good or average). On a scale of 1-10, what would you rate it?

Besides my tone, how about the pitch and resonance of my voice? Does it sound good? I'm a beginner and if you guys really think it's terrible, please be honest so I can use the advice to improve. Thanks in advance.

Here's the link: https://soundcloud.com/someone1236/random
I'll be perfectly honest and say that I think you're worse than avarage, but it might partly be because you're holding back and not using your chest support on the recording. You're not close to the worst I've heard. The best way to improve though is actually to take a couple of lessons. People usually have very different problems with their vocals, and what works for one voice may not work for another. A professional singing coach who knows what he/she is doing will be able to identify YOUR problems and give you some basic exercises to work on. From there you'll at least know what to work on and how to do it. I can't stress enough that it's the very best way to go about starting. The internet is a great resource when you've become intermediate, but as a beginner it's important to have someone who can guide you right and who can react on what works for YOU and not. Good luck!
It's pretty bad but i think you can improve with practice and knowing how to sing properly. You are not singing properly and you sound short of breath all the time too.
Quote by damillion
I'll be perfectly honest and say that I think you're worse than avarage, but it might partly be because you're holding back and not using your chest support on the recording. You're not close to the worst I've heard. The best way to improve though is actually to take a couple of lessons. People usually have very different problems with their vocals, and what works for one voice may not work for another. A professional singing coach who knows what he/she is doing will be able to identify YOUR problems and give you some basic exercises to work on. From there you'll at least know what to work on and how to do it. I can't stress enough that it's the very best way to go about starting. The internet is a great resource when you've become intermediate, but as a beginner it's important to have someone who can guide you right and who can react on what works for YOU and not. Good luck!

thanks, but i'm still curious about what you thought was really bad about it. Tone, pitch, etc.? I thought I sung on pitch because I used an electronic recorder which told me what note I sung, but I did sing the song in a different key. When you stated "i'm not using chest support" I'm guessing that just means my vocal does not have much power to it, which I kind of understand because I sing mainly my head voice. I can't afford lessons so I have to use the advice of other experienced musicians at the moment. please reply soon, and thanks ahead of time.
Well what do you think yourself? I personally don't think there's anything wrong singing low pitches in a breathy voice (but it still needs to be pleasant) with a high larynx, if it is appropriate for the song. But it's not appropriate for Piano Man, it's meant to fluctuate between low intensity and high intensity. You also need to enunciate properly, because to be honest the way you sung the words were not clear at all, lots of slurring. Also your pitching was all over the place, I'm not saying you weren't in tune. It's more like you can't stay in tune. This is all I remember from hearing it a few days ago.
Quote by GoldenGuitar
Well what do you think yourself? I personally don't think there's anything wrong singing low pitches in a breathy voice (but it still needs to be pleasant) with a high larynx, if it is appropriate for the song. But it's not appropriate for Piano Man, it's meant to fluctuate between low intensity and high intensity. You also need to enunciate properly, because to be honest the way you sung the words were not clear at all, lots of slurring. Also your pitching was all over the place, I'm not saying you weren't in tune. It's more like you can't stay in tune. This is all I remember from hearing it a few days ago.

I thought I did alright, compared to the people sounding like dying ducks on the American Idol auditions.... but I couldn't say for sure, since not a lot of people like the sound of their voice to begin with so I have to use other people's judgement. I'll practice with my chest voice and do some breathing exercises and hopefully improve. As for enunciating properly, how would you suggest I fix this problem?
Quote by someone1234
I thought I did alright, compared to the people sounding like dying ducks on the American Idol auditions.... but I couldn't say for sure, since not a lot of people like the sound of their voice to begin with so I have to use other people's judgement. I'll practice with my chest voice and do some breathing exercises and hopefully improve. As for enunciating properly, how would you suggest I fix this problem?

You have to really exaggerate your mouth shapes to make every syllable sound clear and distinct. High compression helps with hearing T and S sounds but you have to sing loudly to avoid noise creeping into the recording.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."