hi there, i'm quite a newbie so i was trying to figure out how to work with different kind of tunings yesterday. when i tried to get it back to normal tuning the string where just weak and it sounded awfull even though my tuner said they where all the right notes.
How old are the strings, what type and gauge, is your guitar fixed bridge or have a tremolo (Floyd rose), what tunings did you try and what tuning is it back in now?
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by metalmingee
How old are the strings, what type and gauge, is your guitar fixed bridge or have a tremolo (Floyd rose), what tunings did you try and what tuning is it back in now?

I stretched out the string on both of my guitars actually; my accoustic guitar's strings are just as old as the guitar itself so 40 years lol, my electric guitar's strings have been replaced about a fw months to a year ago.

and for my accoustic guitar i dont know, and the same goes for my electric guitar hehe... im quite a newbie like i said, sorry to annoy ya. i do know my eletric guitar is quite a cheap one (it was €120 aprox. $144)

and i pretty much assume its a fixed bridge as well.

like i said, sorry im such a newbie.
you should change strings every couple weeks at least. change your strings.
Quote by cav22s
you should change strings every couple weeks at least. change your strings.

really ?? that sounds CRAZY. i never heard that before.
Quote by maaikebroekhu
really ?? that sounds CRAZY. i never heard that before.

That's because it IS crazy, it's absolute nonsense.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Yeah that's a total load of crap, however, I would change more often than you have. The acoustic could REALLY use some new strings and the electric would probably benefit as well. The only time I would say you should change every couple weeks or so is if you are gigging 4-5 nights per week. If you play ALOT daily, maybe, but not necessary I would wait until one broke or I noticed a sound difference.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
It's probably time to change the strings especially after all of the tuning changes. Every few weeks to a month is best for medium - heavy playing times - some change more often, some less often but every 6 months should be a max. As you play more you'll notice when you need to change them.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by metalmingee
It's probably time to change the strings especially after all of the tuning changes. Every few weeks to a month is best for medium - heavy playing times - some change more often, some less often but every 6 months should be a max. As you play more you'll notice when you need to change them.

Still false. There is no 'max' time that you can set. Play them until you don't like how they sound, how they feel or they fail. If you're a regular gigging musician you might set a schedule just for safety's sake to lessen the chances of on-stage failure, but other than that a rigid timeline is a waste of time, energy and money.

Some people HATE the 'bright' sound that new strings provide...
Charles Darwin
Im one of those people. I play all the time so I change every 2-3 weeks to min chances of breaking strings on stage, but every time I change strings, it takes a day or two before I'm happy with the sound again. I like fairly cheap guitar cables for the same reason. I like a bit of high end roll off.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
Quote by bluestratplayer
Im one of those people. I play all the time so I change every 2-3 weeks to min chances of breaking strings on stage, but every time I change strings, it takes a day or two before I'm happy with the sound again. I like fairly cheap guitar cables for the same reason. I like a bit of high end roll off.

And that makes perfect sense, but if I changed strings on every guitar I own even every month not only would I get very little playing done, but I'd be less able to afford even more guitars...
Charles Darwin
^ +1

Quote by Arby911

+1

I don't change my strings as often as I should, but there are a lot of factors which influence how often you have to change strings, which are different for each person.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
allright ! new strings it is ! while we're at it do you guys have any advice for a musician just starting out trying to get gigs and stuff ? being completeley broke like i am ?
Quote by maaikebroekhu
allright ! new strings it is ! while we're at it do you guys have any advice for a musician just starting out trying to get gigs and stuff ? being completeley broke like i am ?

Well, not to put too fine a point on it but...are you any good?

Where do you live?
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
Well, not to put too fine a point on it but...are you any good?

Where do you live?

yeah, i'm a VERY decent musician. like i said, im just starting out so im learning things like this. i live in holland. plan to move somewhere else in europe like england or germany where the music scene is slightly better or more fitting.
Ok, that's a start at least. I'm not familiar with the music scene there, but I suspect it's like anywhere else. Get out and meet people, make contacts, find 'open mic' nights at local establishments and play for free, find online forums in your area and post your interests.

Basically just get out and get your name out.
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
Ok, that's a start at least. I'm not familiar with the music scene there, but I suspect it's like anywhere else. Get out and meet people, make contacts, find 'open mic' nights at local establishments and play for free, find online forums in your area and post your interests.

Basically just get out and get your name out.

thanks, i'll do that for certain.
Quote by Arby911

If you think that's crazy, I know someone who changes their strings eery few days.

Its just unbelievable how much money must be wasted...
I'm always screwing with my rig. Muh chilluns:
Warmoth NRFR strat JB/Jazz
Mesa Boogie Royal Atlantic, Diezel 2x12
Turbo tuner, J Cantrell wah, Alesis 3630
Green Rhino, Wampler Velvet, Strymon ElCap/Lex, Phase 45
Yeah.

Don't get me wrong, everyone is different. Maybe they really do have super-acid sweat, or live in the rainforest or something. But if you don't and think you *have to* change strings very frequently... string manufacturers must be pretty fond of you. Let's leave it like that.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Guy_Mitchell
If you think that's crazy, I know someone who changes their strings eery few days.

Its just unbelievable how much money must be wasted...

I know a tech for a major touring group that has him change strings before every show...but in that case I can understand it, plenty of money and why take the chance?

Otherwise, I'm with you.
Charles Darwin
Oh yeah absolutely, I agree. If I were gigging I'd be changing mine for every show, too (though I'd try to do it a day or two before the show, assuming I weren't playing every night). As you said, that's a different kettle of fish.

Especially if I had a tech to do it for me. You're (presumably?) paying the tech anyway.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Arby911
Still false. There is no 'max' time that you can set. Play them until you don't like how they sound, how they feel or they fail. If you're a regular gigging musician you might set a schedule just for safety's sake to lessen the chances of on-stage failure, but other than that a rigid timeline is a waste of time, energy and money.

Some people HATE the 'bright' sound that new strings provide...

And I hate notes that are poorly in-tonated, warbling sounds on full sustained notes, and weak/dull balance between notes

Something which I hear to often on guitar player's. I'd say once every 2 months keeps good tone at max. Unless you hardly play off course.

Also guys who hate the bright tone 1 of the 3 people saying that when looking at their technique hold their pick in the angle of a knife to the strings, instead of parallel (or at least close enough to parallel)

Can be used if going for that sound, but it takes out quite some oomph from the note, and adds all kinds of scratchy noises. Especially on new strings.

I also don't like the added shimmy, but it's not THAT bad.

Don't know if you guys record yourselves?.. If not try it, you can see that fresh strings sound much better on record, and it's mostly a nuisance in feel where it's does sound better recorded.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Mar 14, 2014,
I go by intonation. When strings get dented or stretched unevenly along the length, the intonation drifts off from how you set it when the strings were new. As soon as I see a noticeable change, I turf them.
Either that or when I break them, I break a lot of strings. I just reef them off the neck.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I usually change my strings every two months or something, when i notice they are getting all oxidized and start to loose tuning faster than usual. They are the best when they are 3-4 day old tho. Thats why i also always change them 3 days before a gig, and the next day after it. They literaly rust in one night from all the sweat at a gig.

But yeah, OP, change strings on both your guitars, especially the acoustic.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
I pretty much change my strings when they break, have poor intonation, or sound just plain dull. I hate new strings, they take a few days of playing before I like them again. Too bright, especially on my SG. No two strings are the same, some have lasted me a month, some have lasted a couple years. Usually they go for 10 months to a year before any of the previously mentioned problems arise. I play 1-2 hours every day and beat the hell out of them with my picking. It's also worth noting that I seem to have had better luck than most with strings lasting

Also, Ernie Ball Power Slinkys on my standard/drop D tuning guitars and Not Even Slinkys on my D/Drop C guitars have done me well. I was replacing strings every 3-4 months generally before using them, now it's generally once a year. Once again, I seem to have extraordinarily good luck with strings, YMMV
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
maybe every two weeks is a little over zealous but I hate the feeling off dull strings. Plus the acid sweat....