Why do many "indie" bands and artist bypass Florida while touring? I noticed this first happening in the mid 90s when I was a big Phish fan and they stopped touring Florida.

Does anyone have theories or knowledge of why many "indie" bands and artists don't come down to Florida to tour?

It would be nice to be able to check out all of these great bands and artists I've just listening to the past year without having to go all the way beyond the Florida border and mostly Atlanta.
Some bands don't go to places. If you're outside of the states you're lucky if some of your favourite bands ever even come to your country, let alone your state.

This is just kinda bitching tbh.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by roushsn95
Why do many "indie" bands and artist bypass Florida while touring?

I'd put my money on promoters and management.

If your manager does a crap job of finding you gigs, it limits your exposure. Also if they pick the same 10 venues they always play in, that's very limiting.

Then there are promoters. You go where the money is at. If no one is willing to have you, then I guess your shit out of luck.

For the longest I couldn't find a decent show in FL but then again that was when people were very close minded. We just found community centers and rec halls that rented space and had our own shows.
Quote by ChemicalFire
Some bands don't go to places. If you're outside of the states you're lucky if some of your favourite bands ever even come to your country, let alone your state.

This is just kinda bitching tbh.

No bitching here, bro. I'm asking a legit question. And going all the way to Europe is not even relatively comparable to going to Florida.

Quote by RustedWithin
I'd put my money on promoters and management.

If your manager does a crap job of finding you gigs, it limits your exposure. Also if they pick the same 10 venues they always play in, that's very limiting.

Then there are promoters. You go where the money is at. If no one is willing to have you, then I guess your shit out of luck.

For the longest I couldn't find a decent show in FL but then again that was when people were very close minded. We just found community centers and rec halls that rented space and had our own shows.

I can see all of that. That all makes a lot sense. Probably logistics is another reason since Florida is lengthy to drive through. Ultimately its about the bottom line. $$ Can't really argue against that.

I've just always been curious as to why. Not like this is the Dakotas. 20 million people, 4 major cities with populations of 1 million + metro areas. There's got to be an audience somewhere, ya know? Oh well.
Lol, literally almost every tour I ever see for a band(s) I like has at least one Florida date (often two or three or four) on its itinerary unless it's a small band that only tours its region or it's like a "West Coast Tour" (or in UK/Europe/Australia/Asia, obviously).