I've heard most Martins have really bad durability, is this true?

I've heard they are extremely prone to problems due to change in weather conditions.

If someone could tell me about the durability, as well as which one of these is the best (mostly for finger picking, occasional strumming) , I'd greatly appreciate it-

Martin DXMAE
Martin DXM
Martin DX1RAE
Martin DX1R

Is the Yamaha LL6 better than any of these?

Thanks in advance.

CHOOSING WHICH ACOUSTIC GUITAR TO BUY IS THE MOST CONFUSING DECISION EVER.
Last edited by agastya.sood at Mar 13, 2014,
Martin guitars are more durable than a Gibson, but they still are not durable. In all actuality Martins are not durable at all. They can't take a single temperature or humidity change, and they crack easy. So in my honest opinion, the Yamaha is better than the Martin durability wise. Sound wise the Martin is probably much better though. For those prices you could get a nice Ibanez or Ovation, which are so much better than all of those IMO.
"Go roll around in your sic."- Corey Taylor

Firm hater of the Les Paul. Fan of the Iceman.

You just can't have enough guitars. It is impossible for that to happen.
I've seen little cardboard axes made out of glass and fiber wood last for 10-15 years. I'm almost certain a Martin guitar is going to last you 10-15 years. I ejaculate into my pants every time I look at my Martin D16GT, it sounds like your fingering a high pitch soprano. If some of the cheap guitars I've seen last for 15 years made it, then no reason my Martin shouldn't go for 25+ years.
Last edited by NewDayHappy at Mar 13, 2014,
a martin is no more fragile than any other acoustic guitar. in fact, most makers get their woods from the same place, especially the tops. Pacific Rim Tonewoods(this might be something that even Cranky didn't know ) is where they all start.

treated with care and respect with due diligence to proper humidification and maintenance, any guitar should last a lifetime.
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)
so you're not talking about all martins, but specifically about martin x series guitars. and no, they're not better or worse than the yamaha x series lam b&s guitars - just different. as the yamaha has a 1 3/4" nut, it is imo more versatile, and if i could only choose between those particular martins and the LL6, i'd go for the LL6. btw, i've owned a number of yamahas and have been happy with all of them, and the LL6 has that engelmann top, which is a very nice sounding top wood.

all guitars swell and shrink with humidity changes except for carbon fiber guitars. the only difference between the martin x series and other laminate b&s guitars is that the HPL, which is pressed wood, cannot be fixed easily when damaged and word is it may be more susceptible to humidity, but not all that much.

well said!
Quote by stepchildusmc
treated with care and respect with due diligence to proper humidification and maintenance, any guitar should last a lifetime.

to the op, do you live in an extremely high humidity or dry environment? if so, any wood guitar may need a little extra care, but nothing major.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Last edited by patticake at Mar 13, 2014,
Quote by Bones2
Martin guitars are more durable than a Gibson, but they still are not durable. In all actuality Martins are not durable at all. They can't take a single temperature or humidity change, and they crack easy. So in my honest opinion, the Yamaha is better than the Martin durability wise. Sound wise the Martin is probably much better though. For those prices you could get a nice Ibanez or Ovation, which are so much better than all of those IMO.

You have no idea what your talking about period

Any solid wood guitar is less "durable" than a laminate

Guitars in general are durable instruments, take care of them and treat them right and they will be fine. If humidifying your solid wood acoustic is too much trouble for you, then the laminate Yamaha/Cort is probably your best best.

As a side note, usually the lightest built acoustics usually sound the best. These would be the "less durable" ones. Think wartime Gibsons, prewar Martins, etc.
There are large numbers of solid-wood instruments that are many hundreds of years old....Lots and lots of vintage Martins and Gibsons that date back to pre-WWII times.
Any solid-wood instrument will have to be taken care of; should not be subjected to severe heat or sudden temp changes.
The guy that runs the "Frets.Com" site, a repairman of 30+ years experience, says that heat is the enemy. Leaving your guitar in a hot car is likely the worst.
Cracking is almost always due to mechanical impact or severe dryness.

If you're going to be playing in tough conditions, get nice, durable laminate acoustic/electric and plug it in to an amp.