My band has some gigs coming up. We have a 4 channel PA with 2 speakers. We don't have huge amps. I run a 5 watt combo through a marshall 4x12 which is plenty loud in the jam room.

My question is about live sound. We can't mic up everything. What I am thinking is we set up on stage with our amps facing the center of the stage, and put a mic in the middle that picks up the stage sound of the guitar drums and bass. Then use the PA to amplify the stage sound, as well as the vocals. Is that feasible? Does anyone have experience running sound like this? Does anyone have better ideas for filling a room with sound with a simple PA and moderate stage volume?

Thanks UG.

JB
I've never heard of that being done, it would be incredibly hard to get a good balance of everything with one microphone.

How big is the venue? If your amps are plenty loud at practice they might be loud enough at the gig. Otherwise I would say just buy more microphones.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
I have achieved good results with recording like this in a room.

On a stage however... Tricky tricky

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Yer. Most times out of ten a venue doesn't need miking (except vocals) depending on the venue size.
What else do your band use? You have a 5W (I'm guessing tube) through a 4x12, but what other instruments are there and what kind of amplification are they using? Also how hard are you (ideally) cranking that amp? And how big a venue are you trying to fill. Smaller venues probably won't need a kick mic regardless of the volume of the rest of the band, but if you're outdoors that would be the next most important after the vocals IMO.
Thanks for the replies. There's also vox through a keyboard amp combo, drums, and bass who plays a 300w head through a 4x10 cab. My little 5 watter (you guessed correctly) is usually at about Vol 7 Gain 7, but gets adjusted upward from there when we really get hummin.
If guitar and bass can run with the drums you are golden. Just use the PA for vocals and ignore mic'ing the instruments. This should get you plenty loud. Placing a mic in mid-stage to capture the instruments will likely feed back thru the PA like a big dog and seriously wreck your show.

If you seriously need more sound because you are playing outdoors to 3000, hire a sound company and add their expense to your performance rider. Close mics on all the instruments and a really good sound engineer is the only way to do quality sound reinforcement without feedback issues.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Mar 18, 2014,
In that case I'd probably go vocals, kick, your amp, maybe an overhead for the drums. A 300W bass amp should be pretty self sufficient for 99% of gigs that don't have a provided PA.
Quote by chatterbox272
In that case I'd probably go vocals, kick, your amp, maybe an overhead for the drums. A 300W bass amp should be pretty self sufficient for 99% of gigs that don't have a provided PA.

I once faced 2 cabinets on top of each other (bass green amp).. Well you know that bass feeling in ur stomach? Well this gave this feeling but in my chest and neck mic's indeed not needed if u have a monstrous bass amp.

Also what music do you play TS?

I u have very dynamic music with soft and loud passages, not micing might make the sound lose a bit of cohesion.

Also mics are better for the sole reason u get a better/actual stereo image of the sound.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??