I've been playing guitar for about 8 months now. I know chords, barre chords, power chords, etc. I can strum a song and sing along with ease. I'm not wanting to play like Jimi Hendrix or Eddie Van Halen but I wanna be able to spice up my boring chords. What are some songs that can help me develop more skills without draining me mentally?
Quote by LunaMartin
I've been playing guitar for about 8 months now. I know chords, barre chords, power chords, etc. I can strum a song and sing along with ease. I'm not wanting to play like Jimi Hendrix or Eddie Van Halen but I wanna be able to spice up my boring chords. What are some songs that can help me develop more skills without draining me mentally?

I mainly want to improve because I go to a small church and I think with a little more practice playing at church could be fun.
To be honest it sounds like you already have the most relevant skills for playing simple tunes with your church band or solo. Why not prepare a few songs to performance standard and talk to whoever organises the music?

Try looking into songs like Under The Bridge or Little Wing (I know it's Hendrix, sorry!) for ideas on how to spice up your chords with small fills.
" I'm not wanting to play like Jimi Hendrix or Eddie Van Halen."

My question would be, Why NOT?

Quote by LunaMartin

Hendrix is actually the best place to learn interesting chord work. His rhythm work is as good as it gets. Start with Hey Joe - it's the easiest of his tunes. Little Wing is amazing, but may be too difficult at this stage.

Neil Young is a good place to start for some solid rhythm with some leads in between. he's more accessible than Hendrix.

Under the Bridge from Chili Peppers is actually a great recommendation - it's like Hendrix-lite.