Hello guys!

I'm trying to impress my girlfriend on her birthday and buy her a guitar. She's singing in a soft-rock band and her first guitar should be great for chords. I think it should be telecaster-shaped model but I'm really not shure about brand and model. What do you think?
Check craigslist for a Fender Telecaster. (Not a Squier!) You'll be able to find a good Fender for between $250-$350.
Quote by AngryHatter
Squiers are a great value for the money.
A strat or a tele used would fit.

Why would you get a Squier if you could have a Fender?
You can pickup a nice used Fender telecaster or stratocaster from guitar center for around 300, no reason to get a junky squier with that budget.
2013 Ibanez Jem 7vwh
Lakewood Sungha Jung Signature
Fender Custom Shop Stratocaster
LTD Deluxe MH-1000NT
MIA Fender Strat VG + MiJ Mustang
Martin D1 +Tayor 210e
Kremona Rondo TL Classical
Gretsch G5120
Quote by JustRooster

During my research I've seen a lot of people thinking that some Squier models may sound better that any non-USA-made Fender guitars
Quote by JustRooster

Because it is half the price & uses Fender pickups etc.

The savings are in indigenous wood for the body and the labor.
The rest is shipped and assembled locally.
How about an amp?

Or an acoustic perhaps? Very popular with female guitar players I found.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by AngryHatter
Squiers are a great value for the money.
A strat or a tele used would fit.

Quote by JustRooster

Quote by randomnumbers0
During my research I've seen a lot of people thinking that some Squier models may sound better that any non-USA-made Fender guitars

Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Fender, Squier, Squier, Fender.

Do I win?
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Squier does not use fender pickup in their guitars, they use Squier pickups or Duncan Designed pickups. depending on the actual pickup they can be very nice for the price or sound like crap. I'm not bashing, just informing

That said I'd look at a used G&L ASAT Tribute series they are excellent guitars . Yes they are import guitars, but the QC is really good on them and they actually use the same hardware and electronics as the USA made G&L. That is something that only they do as far as I am aware.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Try one of these instead (specifically the Buckshot, Flatroc or Roundhouse):

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Electric-/33034/i.html?_nkw=reverend%20guitar&_geositeid=0&_trksid=m194&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEFSRCHX%3ASRCH&_udlo=300&_udhi=500

Also, seconding the suggestion of the G&L Tributes, if you can find one.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Mar 13, 2014,
Angryhatter, many people have tried your argument and lost. I won't even get into it. Have a good thread.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Mar 13, 2014,
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

+1

regarding impressing your girlfriend, i could be wrong but i'm guessing that's fairly dependent on whether you play guitar too or not. if you play as well she might think it's just as much a present for you
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Good point.

I'm still waiting for angryhatter to tell me my prize.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
^^Yeah.

I'd go with money. That's much better than a present that might be misinterpreted. Hand her $400 and tell her you'll give her the rest of her present later. No way that can backfire.

EDIT: seriously, though, do you know she likes telecasters? I'm guessing she already plays?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Mar 13, 2014,
Quote by Dave_Mc
^^Yeah.

I'd go with money. Women frigging love money. That can't backfire or be misinterpreted at all.

Uh, but then they go all like "well that's not very thoughtful... ANYBODY can give me money"

Make a card or something.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I edited the joke to make it better (possibly). Also I think you might have missed the point of the joke (though admittedly my jokes are terrible). EDIT: unless I possibly missed the point of your follow-up to my joke, in which case: well played.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I edited the joke to make it better (possibly). Also I think you might have missed the point of the joke (though admittedly my jokes are terrible). EDIT: unless I possibly missed the point of your follow-up to my joke, in which case: well played.

Let's go with the last option. It makes me feel better about myself.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
yay
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Fender, Squier, Squier, Fender.

Do I win?

Very close.
Only the last is MIM.
The other three are Squiers.

The first is Indian Cedar VM Squier.
Good enough for me
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by randomnumbers0

yes you are speaking of the classic vibe.

this is known as classic vibe syndrome usually starts manifesting with claims of higher standards then mim products, eventually the poor souls become extremely convoluted it spreads to the point were people will claim they are better or equal quality to mia standard, and then buy another classic vibe.

but to answer your question made in mexico telecaster would be perfect
song stuck in my head today

Quote by lbc_sublime

this is known as classic vibe syndrome usually starts manifesting with claims of higher standards then mim products, eventually the poor souls become extremely convoluted it spreads to the point were people will claim they are better or equal quality to mia standard, and then buy another classic vibe.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by lbc_sublime

but to answer your question made in mexico telecaster would be perfect

this may sound stupid but here's what I think:
classic vibe should sound unique in a good way because of its great pine body and okay pickups. every other part of guitar must be pretty crappy (bad wiring, bad neck, bad assembling etc) BUT it is something you can live with and it is something that you can fix in time
The CV Tele is pine - the strat can be cedar or alder.
The VM necks are great other than the 7 1/2" radius. Usually quarter sawn so they look neat.

The wiring, pots and caps are cheaper, but nothing that will suddenly fail.
Workmanship is fine.
The AQL Fender employs is distributed across the entire line.

They save money in labor and iun methods employed - there are different regulations to be met in China or Indonesia. They can use paint that is not legal in Corona California.
Last edited by AngryHatter at Mar 14, 2014,
Quote by randomnumbers0
this may sound stupid but here's what I think:
classic vibe should sound unique in a good way because of its great pine body and okay pickups. every other part of guitar must be pretty crappy (bad wiring, bad neck, bad assembling etc) BUT it is something you can live with and it is something that you can fix in time

Actually the CV series is quite nice, one of the better values in cheap/beginner guitars for sure. just don't mistake them for what they are price wise. But they are very nice inexpensive guitars
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Why on earth would you buy something that you would fix up, mexican fenders are bad enough, why would you ever go down to crap CVs. At least with mexis you have a pretty solid chance of getting something very playable, and a small chance of getting a guitar thats on par with american standards. With squier you get a toy for kids who can't afford anything better. Once your budget exceeds 300-350 (new) you have alot more options for usable instruments, below that, its pretty much just crap unless you catch something used.
2013 Ibanez Jem 7vwh
LTD Deluxe MH-1000NT
Martin D1 +Tayor 210e
Gretsch G5120
Quote by battlespud
Why on earth would you buy something that you would fix up, mexican fenders are bad enough, why would you ever go down to crap CVs. At least with mexis you have a pretty solid chance of getting something very playable, and a small chance of getting a guitar thats on par with american standards. With squier you get a toy for kids who can't afford anything better. Once your budget exceeds 300-350 (new) you have alot more options for usable instruments, below that, its pretty much just crap unless you catch something used.

why the hell would you but a BS HT-5 and then try and give advise like you actually have a clue?

GTFO
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Because I'm in my dorm most of the year, in a 24hr quiet building and I couldn't keep my marshall stack in it without getting written up?
2013 Ibanez Jem 7vwh
LTD Deluxe MH-1000NT
Martin D1 +Tayor 210e
Gretsch G5120
Quote by AngryHatter
The CV Tele is pine...

For the record, there is nothing wrong with a well-made pine Telecaster.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=w5Rfv0dQttM

Quote by battlespud

How wrong can one person be?
Quote by randomnumbers0
Hello guys!

I'm trying to impress my girlfriend on her birthday and buy her a guitar. She's singing in a soft-rock band and her first guitar should be great for chords. I think it should be telecaster-shaped model but I'm really not shure about brand and model. What do you think?

Why do you think it should be a telecaster-shaped model?
I had a friend who thought she wanted a telecaster. She picked one up and played it briefly, then picked up a PRS-shaped one a few minutes later. Walked out with that.

Go guitar shopping with her for her birthday.
Quote by dspellman
Why do you think it should be a telecaster-shaped model?
I had a friend who thought she wanted a telecaster. She picked one up and played it briefly, then picked up a PRS-shaped one a few minutes later. Walked out with that.

Great idea.

Definitely the best course of action.