Ok so I'm currently in talks with a couple of people forming possibly a blues influenced band at the moment (I've got a huge love for Gary Moore and especially his AOR type stuff)

But I've got some tube amps that have a pre-gain on it, just wondered if there was anyway to use the Power Tubes to get that Power tube situation? I'm assuming it involves reversing the roles of a couple of knobs (By using the Pre-gain as a volume knob and turning the Volume up?) and will they be ok at rehersal volumes with a drummer and without shattering windows?

Also, any advice to get a sort of Gary Moore ish tone? I don't think my Laney AOR will do something similar to it somehow!
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
yep turn the volume to max and use the gain as your volume knob.

GM used a DSL for a long while before he died so maybe use your boost pedal a bit.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Mar 13, 2014,
Great I'll try that...

I'm starting to really regret selling my Peavey Windsor now!
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Krank Chadwick series 2 would be a great amp for it, so would a Laney GH. You should be able to get close with the AOR since it is like a HR JCM800 and GM used the classic ch on the DSL I'd bet which is the "800" ch soposedly
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
You should be able to get fairly close with an AOR. Is it the 50 or the 100? if it's the 100, pull two tubes. Crank the Master and go easy on the gain. An attenuator wouldn't hurt either.
Find (or build) yourself a Marshall Mk1 Guv'nor. That was the overdrive pedal Gary used for most of his career.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Get a les paul.

Usually am in the amp always owns guitar camp.. but Gary is a guy who also played around the guitar's characteristics.

Just check in the 80's when he played that ibanez/superstrat thing.. His tone was pretty awfull and he played totally different as well. I actually like some of his playing there.. but dat tone

Basically a lot of those typical blues licks and variations of it sound good on a les paul kind of guitar.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Mar 14, 2014,
Quote by Cathbard
You should be able to get fairly close with an AOR. Is it the 50 or the 100? if it's the 100, pull two tubes. Crank the Master and go easy on the gain. An attenuator wouldn't hurt either.
Find (or build) yourself a Marshall Mk1 Guv'nor. That was the overdrive pedal Gary used for most of his career.

It's the 100! Which tunes should I pull? Don't wanna damage the amp!

I'll have a look into building one, how hard would it be?
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
IIRC they are like an old Marshall, so either the inner pair or the outer pair. You won't blow anything up if you pull the wrong ones.
Switch the output impedance on the amp down one notch when you do it.

http://www.tonepad.com/project.asp?id=57
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
But won't that blow a tube as my Speaker setups eight ohms and that would turn it to four?
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
No. It will actually be matching the impedance. It compensates for only having half the tubes. That's the point of it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I would suggest researching/manual reading before pulling tubes, just to be on the safe side.
Cathbard is correct about pulling tubes on jcm800 but honestly first time hearing that about these Laneys, even though they're supposed to be based on similar designs.

Guvnor is about $30 used, got one recently. Not worth the time building one unless you really want to get the experience.
Quote by diabolical
I would suggest researching/manual reading before pulling tubes, just to be on the safe side.
Cathbard is correct about pulling tubes on jcm800 but honestly first time hearing that about these Laneys, even though they're supposed to be based on similar designs.

Guvnor is about $30 used, got one recently. Not worth the time building one unless you really want to get the experience.

It's common practice in A/B amps, the tubes work in pairs so you pulling a pair doesn't affect the function of the other pair. You can get away with it in most of the high power amps (they are running push pull A/B).
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by diabolical

No it is ~$200 for an original Guv'nor pedal. Show me where it is $30 and I'll buy them all
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
According to the schematic V5 is paired with V7, V6 is paired with V8.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Mar 14, 2014,
Man, I posted a link up there to a PCB of it that you can build as a conventional 9V pedal. You have to have power up the front of the stage for your pedals supply anyway. Wtf are you talking about?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Mar 15, 2014,
Half the places you play at have powered wedges across the front of the stage anyway. Most people have their power supplies on their pedalboard. Running mains across the front of the stage is common practice.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I had a Laney Pro Lead 50 AOR that was simply awesome.
For the best British sound Leave the Push pull boost in give it about 5 or 6 on the Gain, bring your volume up to just over the drummer!
Also most Laney and Crate tube amps need to cut the tones back to 3 to 5 or so or they get muddy.
Laney AOR's sound really good but they are an unreliable piece of crap. However, it is possible to fix the biggest issue with them - replace the tube sockets. If you do that they trundle along pretty well. Laney went through a very dark QC period at that time, even Iommi stopped using them.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification