Page 1 of 2
okay, I finally found a good enough example...

Numerous times through out these forums, from various threads & replies, people have commented on ear training and hearing developement with comments like "use your ears" or "don't cheat by using tab" or "using tab stunts hearing developement" etc...

and 95% of the time i'd agree with that tenet, but then there are those occassions, when you find yourself literally guessing at best...

Point and Case:
Over in the tab forums someone was requesting tabs from the Joe Satch album "Unstoppable", so I decided to offer help with the track "Can't Go Back"...

youtube.com/watch?v=5jRsh2PPHBI

Someone else had also made a start, so I decided to tackle the lead break:
@1:37 - 2:14...

With credit to Joe's clean note execution, most would agree that a lot of his material can generally, be fairly easy to work out by ear... that being said...

...nearing the end of the solo, at around the 2 minute mark (1:57 - 2:01), after the old cursory scratch, rake and slide technique... Joe strikes a couple of chords and hits them with the good old bouncy whammy styles.

Due to the guitar effects (mainly distortion?), the ambient reverb (be it natural or intended), the dissonance and resonance created by the 2 chords... that at best, I could not be certain as to exactly what those 2 chords might be and could probably go weeks at it none the wiser.

Due to head scratching anomalies such as this, I absolutely support Tab/Music Score/Chord Sheets... particularly from "official" sources etc... (and yes, I do know they too, sometimes, have their shortfalls)

although I largely support and agree with "ear development" (of course), there is no good reason to banging your head against a brick wall trying to "second guess" just what something "might" be, as opposed when you "do know" what is being heard.
I believe THAT in itself is of more value over-all in the long run and gives your ear the "correct" sound association should you come across it again, and better developes and prepares your ear for that next time.

That being said:
I did offer what my ears "best" heard and submitted my earnest reply.
See here for the full lead break:
www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1636528

Here is a snippet of ONLY the section I have refered to in this Post: (1:57 - 2:01)
To my knowledge there appears to be no printed Tab out yet for this album, so it would be interesting to see what you guys might come up with and post your own Tab of this section of what you guys hear!

1 e & a 2 e & a 3 e & a 4 e & a   1 e & a 2 e & a 3 e & a 4 e & a   
e |---------------------------------|---------------------------------|
B |-------------------------(0)-----|(0)---------(0)---------(0)------|
G |-----------------/gliss--(14)----|(14)--------(14)--------(14)-----|
D |------(x)-p-(0)----------(16)----|(16)--------(16)--------(16)-----|
A |------(x)-p-(0)-/--------(0)-----|(0)---------(0)---------(0)------|
E |(x)-/----------------------------|---------------------------------|
[color="Yellow"]Note: Chords indicate when to "pulse" (depress) Whammy Bar.[/COLOR]
    1 e & a 2 e & a 3 e & a 4 e & a   1 e & a 2 e & a 3 e & a 4 e & a   
e |----(0)---------<12>-Harm----<12>|-~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~(0)--|
B |----(0)---------<12>-Harm----<12>|-~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~(0)--|
G |----(14)--------(13)---------(13)|-~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~(13)\|
D |----(16)--------(14)---------(14)|-~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~(14)\|
A |----(0)---------(0)----------(0)-|-~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~(0)--|
E |---------------------------------|---------------------------------|
I agree, but probably because I always use tablature. It's just a lot better and I personally think it's helped me learn instead of copy.
Quote by KiLLSWiTCH-KnoT
it's like I make threads knowing they're gonna be shit but I make them anyway

Quote by kertets
Wire his sack to the electrical socket the next time, little fucker will be shootin lightening bolts all over the house.
Anyone that says tab is cheating, needs to shut the hell up and mind their own business. That's one of the stupidest things I've ever heard.

Anyone that presumes to judge how people should learn or enjoy the guitar is a complete and totally pathetic fool, and needs to mind their own business. If you want to learn something, and play it your own way, do it, and shut the hell up, because other people and how they do things are none of your damn business.

It's not a game; there are no rules, and there are no winners. It's a guitar. Shut up. Have I made my stance clear?

Use TAB all you like - no one's opinion matters. And if you think it does, you're wrong. You're welcome. Stupidest thing I've ever read in the 4-5 years I've been here.

Best,

Sean
So you could've basically just said that in a short paragraph without presenting your methods or giving us a sort of bragging lesson on a song we didn't ask for. I respect what you do, but it just came off as pompous to me.
A bassist is never late, nor is he early, he arrives precisely when he means to.

The Pit operates under a pseudo-Murphy’s Law state of mind. You can make a comment and "whatever wrong assumption that can be made about it, will be made about it."
I personally hate tabs, I use them sometimes if I'm stuck, but it's more work than just figuring stuff out by ear to me

and they're almost always wrong
Quote by guitarist5477
So you could've basically just said that in a short paragraph without presenting your methods or giving us a sort of bragging lesson on a song we didn't ask for. I respect what you do, but it just came off as pompous to me.

how on earth did you manage arrive at that conclusion?
I clearly admitted that I was at best guessing at what the 2 chords might be, and finished off by asking others for their suggestions to how they hear and interpret it...

you got any ideas as to what it might be?

P.S: In future I will try and rephrase my posts so they don't come off as some twat with a carrot shoved up his bottom... (or is that such a bad thing?, the carrot I mean... apparently back in the 90's coffee enema's were all the rave... maybe I missed out on something there?)

lmfao
I don't really see anything wrong with tabs. I wish I'd spent more time learning songs by ear in my first few years of playing, but there's nothing inherently bad about tabs. Learning by ear helps you out much more in the long run, but learning by tabs is useful for when you want to learn something quickly that is above your ability to easily figure out.
I use TAB when I do because it saves time and I don't care for ear training either way.
Quote by Tempoe
I personally hate tabs, I use them sometimes if I'm stuck, but it's more work than just figuring stuff out by ear to me

and they're almost always wrong

Oh cool, I know what you mean tho, to me both have their merits.
What do you think Joe is playing there?
Or do you agree... could take weeks and still get nowhere?
Quote by Sean0913
Anyone that says tab is cheating, needs to shut the hell up and mind their own business. That's one of the stupidest things I've ever heard.

Anyone that presumes to judge how people should learn or enjoy the guitar is a complete and totally pathetic fool, and needs to mind their own business. If you want to learn something, and play it your own way, do it, and shut the hell up, because other people and how they do things are none of your damn business.

It's not a game; there are no rules, and there are no winners. It's a guitar. Shut up. Have I made my stance clear?

Use TAB all you like - no one's opinion matters. And if you think it does, you're wrong. You're welcome. Stupidest thing I've ever read in the 4-5 years I've been here.

Best,

Sean

I definately know where you're coming from, as for me i'm certainly not against them as they've helped me many times in the past (ie:Sweet Home Alabama - Lynyrd Skynyrd)... I dunno for the life of me that bldy song... Thanks Tab!!!

Edit: You do know that my thread was deliberately facetious and absolutely supports Tab/Sheet Music etc?... don't you??? (eg:youtube.com/watch?v=GqzzAyGl3zA)
Last edited by tonibet72 at Mar 15, 2014,
Eh. Although ear training is a necessity to becoming a decent musician, there's absolutely nothing wrong with tabs.

You use whatever tools help you to learn your instrument and to learn music. Be it tabs, chord books, sheet music, your ears, jamming to backing tracks, or even rocksmith.

The end result, if you went about everything right, is to have mastery over your instrument and part of that is, well, a good ear. You'll get there if you really truly learned your shit.
Quote by mjones1992
Eh. Although ear training is a necessity to becoming a decent musician, there's absolutely nothing wrong with tabs.

You use whatever tools help you to learn your instrument and to learn music. Be it tabs, chord books, sheet music, your ears, jamming to backing tracks, or even rocksmith.

The end result, if you went about everything right, is to have mastery over your instrument and part of that is, well, a good ear. You'll get there if you really truly learned your shit.

Couldn't have said it better myself, every little bit helps in the learning process!
Quote by tonibet72
how on earth did you manage arrive at that conclusion?
I clearly admitted that I was at best guessing at what the 2 chords might be, and finished off by asking others for their suggestions to how they hear and interpret it...

you got any ideas as to what it might be?

P.S: In future I will try and rephrase my posts so they don't come off as some twat with a carrot shoved up his bottom... (or is that such a bad thing?, the carrot I mean... apparently back in the 90's coffee enema's were all the rave... maybe I missed out on something there?)

lmfao

A bassist is never late, nor is he early, he arrives precisely when he means to.

The Pit operates under a pseudo-Murphy’s Law state of mind. You can make a comment and "whatever wrong assumption that can be made about it, will be made about it."
Quote by The4thHorsemen
I don't really see anything wrong with tabs. I wish I'd spent more time learning songs by ear in my first few years of playing, but there's nothing inherently bad about tabs. Learning by ear helps you out much more in the long run, but learning by tabs is useful for when you want to learn something quickly that is above your ability to easily figure out.

I was actually the polar opposite, I was ears first and then came tabs, I think I just didn't know from memory?? and when I learnt of tabs I was like "oh so that's what's happening" and it opened up so many new areas (ie: alternative tunings - Zepplin, Pearl Jam...)

Tabs certainly have their place, i'm guessing there's probably more guitar tracks covered by Tab than actual music score (altho G-Pro, tux etc are fast changing that - and for good reason!)
The fact people even think about ear vs tab baffles me.

Do you buy cologne without smelling it?

Do you eat something without tasting it?

I use tabs for some stuff, but I used my ears to figure out something when I could not even play 4 chords. It just seems logical

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Learning by tab is fine, learning by ear is fine. Both get the job done.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Accurate tabs tell you where to put your fingers. That's it. I'd say you are cheating yourself if you only use tabs and never listen to the music.

Creating your own is helpful or using others is helpful too starting out. As you get some manual dexterity, develop a holistic view of the fretboard, and learn the pitch relationships, then tabs should become less relevant.

But... I personally feel like I get a better learning experience than tabs from watching others play in youtube vids and slowing it down. I remember it better by focusing on the sound.

I do like to buy the tab books with the musical notation paired with it mainly so I can see the rhythmic, chord, and hierarchical pitch relationships to sound.
If you want to develop your ear, I see nothing wrong with also using tabs to help you when you are stuck. I think that may actually develop your ear (if you just pay attention to the sound). You may learn a new chord voicing and also learn how that voicing sounds like. And you may also find a way to use it somewhere.

I'm pretty sure why many people hate tabs is because many beginners only play from tabs and they don't learn the sound, they just learn the fingerings and then they come here and ask stupid questions.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
It's not cheating, it's just lazy.

I use written sources as a last resort, unless I'm practicing reading specifically. Honestly if you put the effort into it, your ears will be faster and more accurate than most tabs.
Last edited by cdgraves at Mar 14, 2014,
Personally, it doesn't bother me what people learn to use while they play their instruments. If they want to become a decent musician instead of an occasional player, than aural skills wold be beneficial for them to have. When I want to learn a song, I try and figure it out by ear the best I can. When I'm stuck, than I'll turn to a tab or a cover and see how other people are doing it.

Most people hate tabs because of beginners. Most beginners look at tabs and think of it as numbers and fingerings as opposed to sounds. When I look at tab or sheet music, I try and mentally hear the tune in my head so I'll have an idea of what it'll sound like.
Skip the username, call me Billy
Quote by MaggaraMarine
If you want to develop your ear, I see nothing wrong with also using tabs to help you when you are stuck. I think that may actually develop your ear (if you just pay attention to the sound).

That's what i'd have said. Flailing about in the dark getting nowhere if you truly are stuck isn't exactly going to be helpful.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
What was the point of this thread? Honestly tabs are pretty shitty most of the tabs I've looked up are completely inaccurate I don't really see the point... All in all most people that don't develop their ears can't even bend to pitch lol.

The ears are important, but I don't see anything wrong with looking up how to learn a song by video if you're in a rush. @CD I totally agree with you dude if you put the time in effort into developing your ears you'll be greatly rewarded it's very convenient I can just hear a chord progression, and figure it out within seconds.. Instead of looking up tabs and wondering if the guy that wrote them put up the wrong chords lmfao! Same thing with lead lines I can hear something and play it back just the way I heard it there's just too much benefits to working on your ears.

Either way if you don't train your ears you wont have the ability to improvise you'll just run around in scale patterns sounding robotic and generic. It's important to internalize the sounds that come from your instrument you must know it purely by sound like the back of your hand it also varies if you're a serious musician then it's a must to work on your ears, but if it's a hobby and you don't care much about it then learn by tabs.
Last edited by Black_devils at Mar 15, 2014,
Quote by Black_devils
What was the point of this thread? Honestly tabs are pretty shitty most of the tabs I've looked up are completely inaccurate I don't really see the point... All in all most people that don't develop their ears can't even bend to pitch lol.

The ears are important, but I don't see anything wrong with looking up how to learn a song by video if you're in a rush. @CD I totally agree with you dude if you put the time in effort into developing your ears you'll be greatly rewarded it's very convenient I can just hear a chord progression, and figure it out within seconds.. Instead of looking up tabs and wondering if the guy that wrote them put up the wrong chords lmfao! Same thing with lead lines I can hear something and play it back just the way I heard it there's just too much benefits to working on your ears.

Either way if you don't train your ears you wont have the ability to improvise you'll just run around in scale patterns sounding robotic and generic. It's important to internalize the sounds that come from your instrument you must know it purely by sound like the back of your hand it also varies if you're a serious musician then it's a must to work on your ears, but if it's a hobby and you don't care much about it then learn by tabs.

But what if you just can't figure out a part by ear? Some parts just are hard to hear. That's when tab can help you. Using tabs doesn't mean you don't use your ears.

And why isn't using sheet music cheating (or is it)?
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by MaggaraMarine
But what if you just can't figure out a part by ear?

Then you're at the mercy of someone else's ear.

There are things that stump my ears pretty well, but looking up tabs is a total crapshoot for accuracy. Plus, there's very little non-guitar music transcribed in tabs. Unless I'm under a deadline, I'll just keep plugging away by ear if that's what it takes.
i don't get this need to classify various methods as "cheating", "lazy" and so forth. there are multiple ways of learning music and all of them have a certain amount of merit, and generally when people criticize the way others learn (without knowing what their musical goals are) it's because they want to be the first one to whip their enormous internet penis out and swing it around proudly

i have perfect pitch and i use tabs occasionally when i can't be bothered actually sitting down and just learning something by ear. depending on the number of parts, the way an audio track is mixed, noise around me and whatever other factors may be present, there are times i'm simply content with trying to learn something quickly.
Quote by cdgraves

There are things that stump my ears pretty well, but looking up tabs is a total crapshoot for accuracy. Plus, there's very little non-guitar music transcribed in tabs. Unless I'm under a deadline, I'll just keep plugging away by ear if that's what it takes.

Yeah but it may be just one chord that you didn't hear. Then looking at a tab may help. If the tab is incorrect, you will hear it. It doesn't do any harm. It has to do with what your goal is. If you want to learn to play the song, why not use tabs to help you. Of course use your ears but what does it matter if you check one or two chords that are hard to hear from somebody else's tab?

But if your goal is to improve your ear and learning songs is not the main point, then of course don't look at tabs. But again, if you are stuck, why not look one or two chords that you can't figure out from tabs? If you are learning a new style that uses chord voicings you are not familiar with, looking at tab may actually help your ear to get used to them. When you know the voicing, you can start using it and you'll also learn the sound of that voicing. So tab can also help you at improving your ear - or at least learning new kind of stuff that you can use in your music. Again, of course you need to use your ears when you use tab. It's not always ears or tab. It can also be ears and tab.

Also, you said that there's not that much non-guitar music tabs. But I'm sure there's sheet music. So what's the difference? Why wouldn't sheet music be cheating or lazy?
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Mar 16, 2014,
I found some official sheet music for this track. It would have been pretty much impossible/very difficult for me to figure out the voicings (ACCURATELY) by ear and while I was learning it, I learned a great deal about voicing chords in a comping context. In my opinion in situations like this, there's nothing better than official sheet music.

Talking about the piano, btw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRRzwZp9ETU
Last edited by Elintasokas at Mar 16, 2014,
Quote by MaggaraMarine
Yeah but it may be just one chord that you didn't hear. Then looking at a tab may help. If the tab is incorrect, you will hear it. It doesn't do any harm. It has to do with what your goal is. If you want to learn to play the song, why not use tabs to help you. Of course use your ears but what does it matter if you check one or two chords that are hard to hear from somebody else's tab?

But if your goal is to improve your ear and learning songs is not the main point, then of course don't look at tabs. But again, if you are stuck, why not look one or two chords that you can't figure out from tabs? If you are learning a new style that uses chord voicings you are not familiar with, looking at tab may actually help your ear to get used to them. When you know the voicing, you can start using it and you'll also learn the sound of that voicing. So tab can also help you at improving your ear - or at least learning new kind of stuff that you can use in your music. Again, of course you need to use your ears when you use tab. It's not always ears or tab. It can also be ears and tab.

Also, you said that there's not that much non-guitar music tabs. But I'm sure there's sheet music. So what's the difference? Why wouldn't sheet music be cheating or lazy?

In the context you're asking, yes they function the same. Side by side, I consider tabs "lazy" because most contain the bare minimum musical information, and people who rely on them too much risk developing an understanding of music that lacks nuance. Fancy tabs are basically sheet music with numbers instead of noteheads, so it's like, why not just learn notation?

Many, many amateur guitarists have no concept of dynamics and phrasing, while amateurs on "classical" instruments develop those skills much earlier because it's just part of the music they have to learn. Obviously having a teacher makes a difference, but seeing the articulations on the staff at least makes the information available. Even the vocabulary alone makes musical communication a lot easier.

If you need to get something learned then do what it takes, but reliance breeds reliance. You shouldn't let it become the go-to option any time something is challenging. There are only so many options at a time, even if you don't hear the note per se, you can narrow the choices enough based on context.
^ But I'm not one of those guys who rely 100% on tabs. I am all about ear. But if there is one part that I just can't figure out by ear, I go and check out some tabs. And I will hear if they are wrong or right. I do use my ears when I use tabs. And I know what you are talking about. Many beginners don't use their ears at all and just rely 100% on what the tab says.

Also, I never use standard tabs. I only use Power Tab or Guitar Pro like tabs that also contain standard notation. Standard tab is IMO pretty hard to read.

If your goal is to learn a song, I don't think it matters what you use to learn that song. You must always use your ears, even when you read tab. But not everything you learn needs to be by ear only.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Mar 16, 2014,
Quote by MaggaraMarine
^ But I'm not one of those guys who rely 100% on tabs. I am all about ear. But if there is one part that I just can't figure out by ear, I go and check out some tabs. And I will hear if they are wrong or right. I do use my ears when I use tabs. And I know what you are talking about. Many beginners don't use their ears at all and just rely 100% on what the tab says.

Also, I never use standard tabs. I only use Power Tab or Guitar Pro like tabs that also contain standard notation. Standard tab is IMO pretty hard to read.

If your goal is to learn a song, I don't think it matters what you use to learn that song. You must always use your ears, even when you read tab. But not everything you learn needs to be by ear only.

Yeah, I don't think using tabs/sheet music is THAT bad.

Around 9 months ago when I started learning piano, I had NO clue whatsoever about piano playing. Sheet music helped me get started, because I could accurately see how the parts are supposed to be played and also the fingering for the chords, arpeggios, etc....

And when I use sheet music, I still hear the piece as well and memorize the patterns like "Oh, so this is what it sounds like when I add a ninth into a Dm7 arpeggio"..... I constantly analyze everything while I learn from the sheet music.
I didn't mean "you" to refer to you in particular.

The last two years I've been playing in a cover band and have actually foregone any written sources for the material as much as possible (save EVH's solo in "Beat It"). Having a concrete deadline really forced me to rely on my ears in a way I didn't when I would look stuff up more readily.
Last edited by cdgraves at Mar 16, 2014,
Quote by cdgraves

In my experience that's better than being at the mercy of my own

Seriously, though, I know what you're saying, but when I use a tab I'm also using my own ears to check it's right. Maybe my ears are weird, but I struggle to work something out by ear yet I can hear perfectly well if what I'm playing is correct or not.

I just know what works for me.

Quote by :-D
i don't get this need to classify various methods as "cheating", "lazy" and so forth. there are multiple ways of learning music and all of them have a certain amount of merit, and generally when people criticize the way others learn (without knowing what their musical goals are) it's because they want to be the first one to whip their enormous internet penis out and swing it around proudly

depending on the number of parts, the way an audio track is mixed, noise around me and whatever other factors may be present, there are times i'm simply content with trying to learn something quickly.

+1

Quote by MaggaraMarine

+1

I can't hack standard tab without notation at all. I remember at the start when UG etc. generally only had standard tabs, I rarely used them and just bought "proper" tab which also had the proper music notation (or bought guitar mags which had the same) because I didn't like it.

I pretty much agree with everything you're saying in here 100%, fwiw. I just don't want to make this post any longer by quoting all your posts.

Quote by cdgraves
In the context you're asking, yes they function the same. Side by side, I consider tabs "lazy" because most contain the bare minimum musical information, and people who rely on them too much risk developing an understanding of music that lacks nuance. Fancy tabs are basically sheet music with numbers instead of noteheads, so it's like, why not just learn notation?

because it's, er, far, far easier? As I've said before, I read music (badly, but i still read it) before I took up guitar and I still wouldn't really dream of only looking at sheet music for guitar without tab alongside it.

If that's someone who already reads sheet music saying tab is easier for guitar, what about everyone else for whom guitar is their first instrument, and who don't read sheet music? It's going to be several orders of magnitude more difficult.

basically there's you saying, "they're basically the same" and everyone else who's resisting learning sheet music for guitar (outside of classical, jazz and stuff like that). that's not to say tons of people can't be wrong, of course, but when tons of people do something, there's normally, at very least, a little bit of a method to their madness.

if sheet music genuinely were as easy for guitar as tab, do you not think tab would have maybe died out by now? it's a bit like tubes in guitar amps. they don't still exist because only guitarists are unaware of transistors and op-amps.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ Tab is way easier to understand than sheet music. But I bet if you had only read sheet music since you started playing the guitar, it would feel really easy to read it. It's all about getting used to it. People just don't bother to start learning to read sheet music because tab is more simple and most guitar stuff is written on tabs. Tab works well for guitar.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Yeah, exactly.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I see that cdgraves is leading the "I don't like thing" army in the crusade against tablature all over the place. And I see that he didn't use up all of his fallacies in the other thread (the fish market must have had a big sale on red herring).
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Good on ya's Magg and Dave, everyone knows reading music notation ain't no easy feat and everyone knows the value of Tablature and it's conveniece - if one had to learn to site read music scores to play guitar there would be a whole lot less kids rappin off EVH's Eruption solo... Tab has it's merits!
Sooo...

It's best to use your ear and figure out the music on your own.

But, tabs are worse than standard notation because tabs only give minimal information by comparison.

Is it just me, or does anyone else see an inconsistency hiding in there?
Si
Page 1 of 2