Hi all. I need to ask a question. My daughter has 2 les pauls, a 2013 LPJ, and a 2014 Government Les Paul. She is starting to play some hair band stuff in jam sessions & is needing a tremolo guitar. Zzounds. Com has sent me a great finance offer, so why not, ive bought a lot of stuff from them.

Anyway, ive narrowed it down to a Jackson Pro Soloist SL2 or an ESP LTD E2 Horizon3 fm. I csnt decide,I can't find either in a store. Anyone got any info or personal experience with these?
Tools of the trade..
2013 Les Paul LPJ
2014 Les Paul Government
Blackstar HT-20 head
Avitar 2x12 cab with Celestion GT-75's

2013 MIM Fender P-Bass Gotoh bridge, SD 1/4 pups
USA made SWR Workman 15 combo
i don't know man I'd want to play them first.

they are pretty much the same but the Jackson has a compound radius where as I'm not sure the esp does. that could be a deal maker or breaker when dealing with 2 guitars that are almost the same.
song stuck in my head today

Well, I cant find either in any store I've been to. I dont care to play the resale game. Gonna get her one she can keep for a few years. A usa soloist, which she played & liked, is $ 2400. Little rich for me.
Tools of the trade..
2013 Les Paul LPJ
2014 Les Paul Government
Blackstar HT-20 head

The Jackson is a great guitar.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
I'd go with the Jackson. That one is a lot of guitar for the money, and is definitely aimed at the Shredder's market.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
The Horizon has an original floyd. If you're buying a guitar specifically for the trem, you want one that is going to stay in tune. You can't beat an original Floyd. The Jackson is not an original floyd, it's a FRT-O2000, which I have not used but is made in Korea as far as I can tell. I can't say it's good or bad, but I know it's not better than an original.
Quote by J_W
The Horizon has an original floyd. If you're buying a guitar specifically for the trem, you want one that is going to stay in tune. You can't beat an original Floyd. The Jackson is not an original floyd, it's a FRT-O2000, which I have not used but is made in Korea as far as I can tell. I can't say it's good or bad, but I know it's not better than an original.

Depends on which factory. I think they're made the same place Schecters are made, which is a good one.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
I was talking about the bridge, not the actual guitar. Korean made guitars are good, I have an older LTD made in Korea and it rocks.
I personally wouldn't be worried about the Floyd Rose 1000 series bridge. I've used several guitars with them and I've never had a single tuning hiccup. The baseplate is made from the same hardened steel as the German OFR, which regarding tuning stability, is what really matters. So it isn't something really worth clutching at straws over.

I'd get the Jackson, simply because they make the necks I like.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Mar 14, 2014,
It's not a Floyd Rose 1000 though, it's a FRT-O2000. I'm reading it's similar to the Floyd Special. For what ever that is worth.

The LTD is also significantly more expensive than the Jackson.
From what I hear you might want to consider doing the resale on that Gibson Govt. Things are going for stupid amounts of money right now is what I hear. That might even fund the USA Soloist with money left over.
Yeh, Sam Ash tried to buy it back from me tonight, these things sre going anywhere from $2500-&4000!! But my daughter has threatened to kill me if I sell it. It has remarkable tone!! Especially for the metal/punk/emo stuff she plays. I gave her a $3000 budget for a new Les Paul & she got the Government. But we tried to get one of the series ones last year & they sold quick!! We did play a PRS custom 24 tonight &it sounded & played great. But, $3400! Just hate to sell that les paul!!
Tools of the trade..
2013 Les Paul LPJ
2014 Les Paul Government
Blackstar HT-20 head

Well the answer here is in my opinion get the ESP. The necks are more rounded and a little beefier than the Jackson's paper thin and very flat neck.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by J_W

You CAN beat an Original Floyd Rose. Gotohs do, and there's a Schaller (not sold by Floyd) that does.

FWIW, the trems sold as Original Floyd Rose (OFR) just prior to the patent expiration were of two varieties. The OFR shipped to large users like Fender and Gibson was built on one of two production lines in Korea (according to Floyd Rose themselves). The OFR that appeared in bubble packs and that was shipped to smaller builders was the German version done by Schaller.

Since the patent expiration date, Floyd Rose has rejiggered the naming conventions; the Floyd Rose Original (FRO) is now the Schaller version, with all other models coming from Korea (might be one sourced in China now, but I won't swear to it until I talk to them).

Nothing wrong with the Korean versions at all and nothing innately superior about the Schaller-built FRO.
Ok, put the Government LP on Craigslist. Im already getting bashed on the price, its crazy what these things are going for. But she played the usa Jackson again, think im gonna have to get that one. I ordered hef a PRS S2 custom yesterday, sweeet guitar for the money, it'll help her out on some of her country & blues songs.
Tools of the trade..
2013 Les Paul LPJ
2014 Les Paul Government
Blackstar HT-20 head

Last edited by prochargedsnake at Mar 16, 2014,
I mean, if she preferred the Jackson, then by all means get it for her. I would have figured she'd have preferred the slightly rounder and thicker neck on the ESP, but apparently I was wrong!
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
No, not wrong, just cant find one comparable in the stores to play. She likes ESP's.
Tools of the trade..
2013 Les Paul LPJ
2014 Les Paul Government
Blackstar HT-20 head

I've never been able to find a Horizon III anywhere, so I get that. Probably my favorite shape of them all.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden