So i will be getting a brand new Gibson Explorer in just few hours, it comes with 496R and 500T pickups. i will be playing it through a Marshall JVM410HJS with a 1960lead cab. i was basically just wondering how good those pickups are. i have an Epiphone Les Paul Custom and i was not too impressed with the stock pickups, although they were not too bad. i want to know your experiences with the 496R and 500t pickups, i need my guitar to be able to easily handle anything from drop-c metal, to country, jazz, and everything in between. i guess i want the bridge pickup to be nice and bright and my neck pickup to be really wide and smooth. any thoughts???
Quote by WastedWill
any thoughts???

One particular one does spring to mind... play guitars before you buy them.

Aside from that, those pickups have a decent reputation, they should be good.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I put in the Gibson Classic 57 & 57+ in mine after a few months, very happy with my decision. Play it through a DSL JCM 2000 and sounds good to me.
I really like the 500T in the bridge, my friend has a V and I was really impressed with the sound and playability
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Having owned a Gibson and an Epiphone, I can tell you that Gibson pickups are substantially better. Whether you like them or not is entirely your own opinion, but they're 'good' pickups.
The Gibson 500T kicks ass. It sounds a lot like a Seymour Duncan SH-6 but without the harsh high end. Great pickup for metal.
i need my guitar to be able to easily handle anything from drop-c metal, to country, jazz, and everything in between.

That's not going to happen. You really do need more than one guitar to do 'everything'.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Mar 14, 2014,
The 496R and 500T are both really good pickups. They might not get you that 'quintessential' sound of country AND metal, but they'll get you close to both. Play them and see how you like them!
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Yeah that's an awesome set.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by WastedWill
i need my guitar to be able to easily handle anything from drop-c metal, to country, jazz, and everything in between.

If- IF- there are guitars that are that tonally flexible, they cost many thousands of dollars.* And they'd probably STILL need to be restrung and/or set up again to handle all those different genres.

* Moogs, Parkers, Crimsons are the most likely subjects I can think of...but most of those tonal variations are probably gotten from your amp & pedals, anyway.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!