Hi there,

I went to a local gig the other night. There were several bands playing and I knew the guys from one of them. They don't use ear plugs on stage, neither do they while being a part of the audience. So I guess they are never using them.

I can understand that if you go to a concert once in awhile, you enjoy the experience at full volume, then rest your ears for a couple days, and since you are not messing with your ears all the time, you'll be fine.

But how can some people be exposed to such high pressure levels so often? (doing gigs, attending, rehearsing, going to bars...)

Now as far as I am concerned, at home I like listening to music loudly (relatively) with good monitors. But when I go to an event such as a concert or a place where loud music is played (dammit I hate it when they blast it at loud volumes with terrible speakers and the quality sucks so bad (not to mention the songs are often terrible as well, but that's just an opinion), I can't make it to a concert with no earplugs.

What do you think?
protip: they do
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
Yeah a lot of famous musicians have tinnitus. If you are worried about your hearing, get some decent earplugs to preserve it.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
I have mild tinnitus, but it doesn't inhibit my hearing in any noticeable way. However, I'm not going to let it progress past the point that it's at. Get some good earplugs, they're a worthwhile investment.

Also one thought maybe as to why musicians don't wear earplugs on stage at small gigs is that most of the sound is coming from the PA speakers. If they have amps, they'll only turn them up a bit and then mic them. So onstage, they're hearing a relatively normal level, but a large portion of the sound is coming from speakers that are in front of them, so it's not directly affecting them as much as the audience. That's how it was for me when I did some gigs.
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow
How was Confucius death metal?
You've clearly never read any Confuscius.

As I wait on the edge of the earth,
I can see the walls being torn down again
Only to be rebuilt in another name,
On a different day
Also, sound levels on the stage (for musicians) are lower than what you hear as a listener, because all the volume is directed to the audience and musicians only need small monitors to hear what they are playing. Of course, sometimes when there are no monitors, you have to crank your amp and then its pretty loud and you should use ear plugs.
I wear earplugs when I jam and when I go see shows. When I do shows I don't wear any. I figure it's a lesser evil that way.

Also yeah, stage volume =/= crowd volume.
they become all about the bass

can't go deaf when that bass hits you in the chest yeh
Good musicians are deaf. Better musicians are blind. The greatest musicians are Hellen Keller.
Last edited by YeahKyuss at Mar 14, 2014,
genetics, and it depends on whether the deformation of the hair cells in the inner ear last long enough to leave the calcium channels (calcium floods into the neuron changing its polarity causing an electrical potential that we call "excitation") open for a sufficient amount of time to make the neurons interior toxic to the cell's mitochondria, mitochondria and calcium don't quite see eye to eye, if the mitochondria is killed then the neuron loses its ability to produce ATP and thereby do work, this process is referred to as "excitotoxicity" (on a side note this is also why alcohol doesn't kill brain cells but hangovers can, and why stimulants are bad), now the brain has the ability to repair itself, termed plasticity, but this is limited by age and genetics, and likewise if the neurons in the ear don't remain excited for enough time for them to die then no damage was actually done, does that answer your question?
Alot of bands use in ear monitors these days, not only is it a good way to hear yourself at a lower volume but some also act as earplugs to some extent.
They don't have ears.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
When your a music man the only thing that will go deaf is your instrument.
Whats goes around must come down
In ear monitors are a godsend. It's not all about the concert stuff though - the constant exposure to sound that comes with studio work can also have an effect. Nolly from Periphery has mentioned he mixes stuff at low volume levels for the most part and only cranks it up when making sure that the final product sounds good.

Also, wear earplugs to pretty much every concert you go to.
*insert trying-too-hard-to-be-ironic link to my crappy music here*
Well, if you know the band(s) I presume they aren't particularly big, professional or playing too regularly, relative to professional musicians touring and getting an income from it etc.

All the big bands and most on the way up use ear plugs or, more often, in-ear monitors (which are ear plugs with a small earphone style driver [or several, for better frequency response across the audible frequency range] in each ear). This lowers the volume level considerably, although it is still loud and people have to be careful to limit their exposure. At bigger gigs, most bands will play their set and then be backstage/away from the main room for a lot of the night, so their exposure time is a lot lower than the audience and potential damage is caused by level x duration. In other words, a drummer might hear 90dB through his ear plugs (drum kits are the loudest thing on the stage until you're playing huge venues) but this is limited to the length of their set.

And a hell of a lot of musicians are partially-deaf, or have tinnitus to some extent (I do, to a minor degree, and am determined not to contribute to it getting worse), especially those who weren't informed enough about the risks (or the older ones who come from a time when ear plugs were rare and not something considered important by most people). Chris Martin of Coldplay is one of the few big names I've seen speak out about the risks though, being on the front page of some national UK newspapers about it a few years ago. Basically, not enough people realise the dangers and unfortunately end up doing damage because they think it's only something that will affect old people or takes years of abuse to cause any damage (in reality, it can depend on the sensitivity of people's ears and at any time you can risk damage - not just when older).
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Guys please back up my theory that musicians don't have ears.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by lolmnt

In Event Horizon, people think Sam Neill says "where you're going, you don't need eyes to see." What he actually says is "where you're going, you don't need ears to listen." It was an editing room issue where there was a side story involving Laurence Fishburne's character origins as part of a punk group. He convinced an eared friend of his to join the band as a bassist. He died during the first gig, because he wasn't a musician. Event Horizon's evil entity is actually the soul of the deceased.
Quote by lolmnt

Huh?
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by Deliriumbassist
In Event Horizon, people think Sam Neill says "where you're going, you don't need eyes to see." What he actually says is "where you're going, you don't need ears to listen." It was an editing room issue where there was a side story involving Laurence Fishburne's character origins as part of a punk group. He convinced an eared friend of his to join the band as a bassist. He died during the first gig, because he wasn't a musician. Event Horizon's evil entity is actually the soul of the deceased.
AH

Now it all makes so much more sense.
Quote by Deliriumbassist

Thank you.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

when they don't make unpleasant sounds i guess.
Quote by Dave Mustaine
If you want to be treated intelligently, act intelligent.

I have mild tinnitus after playing in local bands for two years, and wearing ear plugs for most of it..