Hey guys --

I'm just getting into the recording thing. Anyway, I've got a Presonus AudioBox USB and Studio One 2. The mic I'm using is a Peavey PVI -- not a high-end mic by any means.

I am a metal guitar player and have about an album worth of songs I'd like to develop. I am a one-man band, so to speak, so I need good virtual instruments -- but my primary concern is to get an excellent metal tone on my guitars. (My rig sounds outstanding -- Peavey 6505, etc.). So far, I've not been able to quite capture the real sound of my amp, and I was wondering if a better mic might help.

I've been looking at the GLS ES-57, as it is a Shure SM-57 clone, but a lot more affordable.

My other option is to purchase PreSonus's new Ampire metal pack -- as I'm sure it would allow me to get the drum sounds I'm looking for, and maybe help with my guitar tone.

What do you guys think would be the best bang for my buck??? They are both in the $30 range.

I'm kind of leaning toward the mic because I don't want to get too carried away recording guitar tracks if I could have been getting better quality tracks all along. I'd appreciate your input!
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Get the mic - the Metal Pack sucks IMO.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Studio One has good enough amp sims in itself. It needs a bit of tweaking though. Look at LePou amp sims and cab sims - they're free. I love the Laney sim.

I wouldn't buy another cheap SM57 knockoff, in your case you're substituting one problem for another. I've managed to get better or similar results with similar mics to the SM57 but usually at around or higher price so you get what you pay for.
Use Reaper or other freeware recording software with quality amp sims. Get a real SM57 if you want real guitar tones from a mic.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
I've never heard good things about SM57 knockoffs. You also don't need to buy amp sims for metal, since there is TSE X50, LePou and Anvil. What could be good might be looking to invest in better Impulse Responces, but you can also find a lot of good ones for free.

Save the 30$ untill you can afford something decent.
Those GLS mics are supposed to be really good, and you have a good amp so I don't see any reason to try and model something you already have.
I own 4 GLS ES57s and 4 SM57s. They sound very close to eachother and there have been numerous times where I've chosen the GLS mics over the Shure. They may be knockoffs, but they're damn good ones. Grille design is actually sturdier than the Shure and everything else about the mic feels just as rugged. If these mics were available when I bought my Shures, I wouldn't own any SM57s.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
I have a PG57 that a friend left at my house a few years ago and the GLS ES57 kicks the shit out of it, for half the price
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com