Hi, after playing exercises in my guitar book I just try to pick a song and try to play it by ear. Most of the times my fingers straight away go to the right notes on the fingerboard when i listen to melody. But I have problems in figuring out chords used in a song. If its powerchords, no problem that is easy for me but, its the open chords that I find difficulty in figuring out which is which. Sometimes I find it difficult to hear the chords being played with vocalist singing and the lead guitarist playing leads. Please give me some tips as to how I can do this much efficiently?
Well, typically, a lot of songs allow the verse guitar riffs or the verse chords or whatever to play through once or twice before the singer begins singing the verse. So, try honing in on those parts.

One thing that's good is that you hear powerchords, which tells me you can recognize the root and 5ths for chords. The devil of the details, so to speak, now is figuring out the rest of the notes (obviously, for full chords).
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Mar 14, 2014,
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Well, typically, a lot of songs allow the verse guitar riffs or the verse chords or whatever to play through once or twice before the singer begins singing the verse. So, try honing on those parts.

One thing that's good is that you hear powerchords, which tells me you can recognize the root and 5ths for chords. The devil of the details, so to speak, now is figuring out the rest of the notes (obviously, for full chords).

Guess I have to keep at it eh?
Yeah. You need to develop your ear to where you can recognize the different intervals in chords. So, can you tell if it when it has a major or minor third, or does it have no third? In other words, if there's a third in the chord, is it "flatted" or not? That's the basics.

Then, if the chord doesn't have a third, does it have a 2nd or a 4th? In other words, it is a sus2 or a sus4 chord?

Next, comes extended chords...which often contain a 7th, so you need to hear whether the 7th is major or minor. Are there other notes? 9th's and 13th's are pretty common notes in extended chords.

Most comes down to your ear, but you also have to have the theory knowledge (chord construction, in this case) to recognize what all those notes are when put together in a chord. You also need to know the key. Because the key often determines what a chord actually is. For example:

e-0-
B-3-
G-2-
D-0-
A-0-
E---

Is this an A chord or a D chord? (Notes are, obviously: A, D, A, D, E.) That depends on the key. In some keys, it could be a Dsus2/A chord. In other keys, it could be an Asus4. The key determines the context.

Anyway, is that enough to give you an idea of what to work on?
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Mar 14, 2014,
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Yeah. You need to develop your ear to where you can recognize the different intervals in chords. So, can you tell if it when it has a major or minor third, or does it have no third? In other words, if there's a third in the chord, is it "flatted" or not? That's the basics.

Then, if the chord doesn't have a third, does it have a 2nd or a 4th? In other words, it is a sus2 or a sus4 chord?

Next, comes extended chords...which often contain a 7th, so you need to hear whether the 7th is major or minor. Are there other notes? For example, 9th's and 13th's are pretty common notes.

Most comes down to your ear, but you also have to have the theory knowledge (chord construction, in this case) to recognize what all those notes are when put together in a chord. You also need to know the key. Because the key often determines what a chord actually is.

I guess I should have learnt some basic theory before posting here. Hope it aint too late already.
Quote by sundar334
I guess I should have learnt some basic theory before posting here. Hope it aint too late already.

Never too late.
Quote by Sean0913
How long have you been playing?

How long have you been working on the exercises in your guitar book?

What are examples of basic songs that you can play?

Best,

Sean

About an year but on and off as I had an injury.

Been learning from that book since last 6 months or so.

I can play some of the sabbath, Deep purple, Shadows, Muddy waters etc. Not the solo some cases as my technique hasn't developed to that level.
Quote by sundar334
About an year but on and off as I had an injury.

Been learning from that book since last 6 months or so.

I can play some of the sabbath, Deep purple, Shadows, Muddy waters etc. Not the solo some cases as my technique hasn't developed to that level.

Give it more time. You have a basic beginning level understanding of the guitar. It's great that you are trying, but it takes a while till you can do it effectively by ear. With time and repeated exposure to songs and playing experience, you'll just start to "hear" things more precisely. Good luck to you, and keep it going

Best,

Sean
Quote by Sean0913
Give it more time. You have a basic beginning level understanding of the guitar. It's great that you are trying, but it takes a while till you can do it effectively by ear. With time and repeated exposure to songs and playing experience, you'll just start to "hear" things more precisely. Good luck to you, and keep it going

Best,

Sean

Thank you