Hi everyone! I recently got a Crate FXT65. It was too loud living in a townhouse. The school's music teacher where I work at bought it from me so I am currently looking. I saw a Peavey Bandit 112 at a Pawnshop for $125 and a Crate FXT30 at craiglist for the same price. The FXT30 would be great for a practicing and playing in my townhome but I know for a fact that the Peavey Bandit 112 is one of the best solid state amps out there but still loud. I thought the FXT30's built in effects would be cool and small enough for a home setting, but I also thought that the Bandit 112 would be great just in case there will be that chance of playing outside. In fact, I play at our school's programs sometimes.

I feel torn apart between the two. I am on a budget and I am also hoping that I would bargain a good price for the two.

Thank you masters!
If its a solid state amp there is no such thing as too loud. Just turn the volume down. There are no power tubes to overdrive so they still sound the same at low volumes.

I'd get the Bandit.
^ well more or less, yeah.
Stuff sound better when you turn it up because of the speaker moving a more consistent quantity of air towards the listeners, but it's not like a smaller amp will sound better at the same volume level for the sole fact that it's smaller.
Quote by littlebadboy
I know for a fact that the Peavey Bandit 112 is one of the best solid state amps out there
Not really.
Don't trust people who tell you stuff like "that's one of the best *whatever*", 'cause they're usually laking in knowledge of other stuff.
Quote by littlebadboy
I thought the FXT30's built in effects would be cool and small enough for a home setting, but I also thought that the Bandit 112 would be great just in case there will be that chance of playing outside.
"small enough" means nothing when talking about this, so would you mind defining what you mean?

Also, no guitar amp will be powerfull enough to play in such a setting if there are more than 50 people to be generous, and that amps you're talking about will not be enough for 30.
Last time I played by myself I was in the middle of a hall of something like 50m x 5m x 3m and to be heard clearly in a 5m square around me 2 150w active speakers were just enough.
You're talking about low tire 30w guitar amps so don't put your hopes in that.

Between the two I'd take the windsor, to me it sounds better, though there is a shitload of stuff I'd take over that.

It may be helpful if you stated your budget, what you would be playing with it, where would you be playing it, and why you preferred selling your amp to turning down the volume knob a bit.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
yeah volume knob works. I use a 50 watt tube amp for practice and manage not to piss off the neighbors. sure at low volumes I don't get the most out of my amp but hey it's just practice not playing Madison Square Garden. as far as playing in a live situation a 30 watt SS amp just isn't going to make it.
Thank you masters for your advice!

Quote by Spambot_2
It may be helpful if you stated your budget, what you would be playing with it, where would you be playing it, and why you preferred selling your amp to turning down the volume knob a bit.

Budget:
I sold my Crate FXT65 for $70 and I would like to add just a little for a good amp.

Where I would be playing on it:
At home, at school (I'm an elementary teacher), and probably at some gigs if an opportunity comes my way.

What I would be playing on it:
If you meant what guitars, I humbly have low end guitars as it is what I could only afford. I have a Behringer iAxe Metalien. I like it because I like the built-in USB interface for making music on the computer. I am also trying to save and rebuild a Peavey TR7.

If you meant what music:
Well, if I used to play in front of headbangers, now I play for elementary kids! I play anything that the school's music teacher requests me to play. But my roots are from Rock/Metal.
I actually don't like Bandits at all. They're a really good backup amp because they never break. As long as the knobs and speakers are protected they can bounce around in the back of a truck for years and still work fine. But, they are a muddy, horrid sounding amp.

However, out of those amps I'm gonna tell you to buy the Bandit. The cleans are pretty good on the Bandit so if you use a pedal or three they're acceptable. That's why they are such a popular emergency backup amp.
The Crate's rubbish.

But a better plan would be to scrounge together a few more bucks and find something decent - like a used Classic 30 or JCA20 (depending on your musical bent.)
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Oh I found a Peavey Special 130 that I am sure I can get for $70. Speaker is kinda strange though... the middle of the magnet is hollow, I can see right through the front cover grill/cloth.

Thoughts?
up for Cath's suggestions.

Anyway you didn't answer the most important question, why did you sell the amp instead of turning the volume knob down?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Get a used Peavey vypyr 30, nice modeling amp that can do your heavy stuff but also able to do cleans and light distortion. It has built in FX, a 12" speaker which is a great thing to have. It also has a headphone out so you can plug in and play silent at home without disturbing neighbors
And it also works well at low volumes.

The GC site is down, but there is a Vypyr 30 in Joliet, Illinois for $89 call the store 815-577-6706

You won't beat that amp for price, sound and features
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Get a used Peavey vypyr 30, nice modeling amp that can do your heavy stuff but also able to do cleans and light distortion. It has built in FX, a 12" speaker which is a great thing to have. It also has a headphone out so you can plug in and play silent at home without disturbing neighbors
And it also works well at low volumes.

The GC site is down, but there is a Vypyr 30 in Joliet, Illinois for $89 call the store 815-577-6706

You won't beat that amp for price, sound and features

+311
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Spambot_2
up for Cath's suggestions.

Anyway you didn't answer the most important question, why did you sell the amp instead of turning the volume knob down?

Master Spambot_2, I did not like the sound when I just turned the volume knob down. When I played on it live cranked halfway full, I kind of didn't like it either but would have been acceptable to me as you could hear below:

http://youtu.be/5hg1rrsTd7c

I kind of regret a little parting with it... had nice features like tuner and effects. But kinda didn't like the tone.
Quote by Robbgnarly

Sounds good! But I'm 75 miles away from Joliet...

To complicate things, I found a Line 6 Spider II 30. I kinda like it because I was thinking of selling my Digitech RP55 and get a Line 6 FV4 footswtich for it. Pawnshop is selling for $90, I think I could get it for $60. My only concern is that it is 30W. I wonder if it is enough when I play at the school gym.

So I guess my choices are the Peavey Bandit 112 and keep my Digitech RP55 or the Line 6 Spider II 30. Maybe I should create a separate thread for this...
I'd say find a vypyr 30 that you can get a hold of and buy it.

The "I did not like the sound when I just turned the volume knob down" will not be resolved by getting a smaller amp nor it will be resolved by anything else than a better sounding amp, be it bigger or smaller or of the same power.

And the Vypyr 30 sounds a lot better than both the spider and the bandit.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
I have a Peavey Bandit 112. It's ok but it's lacking a lot. I just used my computer and speakers as my amp over it though.