Hey all,

I am interested in buying a simple audio interface. I was looking at the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2.

I have a few questions. I plan on using garageband software. I often play music with distortion and delay effects. I would like to monitor myself while playing the guitar, of course. I heard that if you want to monitor yourself with effects such as distortion and delay, it will increase the latency. Is this true? Will having just these two effects on while playing create significant latency? Significant to me means noticeable.

Also, am I able to use a distortion pedal with an interface? The chain would be
guitar --> Distortion pedal --> Interface --> Computer

Does that work? Thanks!
Yeah, the recording forum and that one ^ thread in particular may help you.

If you have an everyday computer that will not create any noticeable delay in your sound, no.
Also, amp simulators don't take pedals well.
Read the amp sims sticky too in the recording forum so you can get an idea about that too.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by kingneptune117
Hey all,

I am interested in buying a simple audio interface. I was looking at the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2.

i have heard those are pretty nice interfaces

Quote by kingneptune117
I have a few questions. I plan on using garageband software. I often play music with distortion and delay effects. I would like to monitor myself while playing the guitar, of course. I heard that if you want to monitor yourself with effects such as distortion and delay, it will increase the latency. Is this true?

yes, there will be a slight delay when monitoring your guitar signal from the DAW (garageband).

Quote by kingneptune117
Will having just these two effects on while playing create significant latency?

it depends on a number of factors, like how many tracks you have going at once. but in general the latency is pretty unnoticeable.

Quote by kingneptune117
Also, am I able to use a distortion pedal with an interface? The chain would be
guitar --> Distortion pedal --> Interface --> Computer

Does that work? Thanks!

yeah, it can work just fine. you also have distortion pedals available in garageband as well, but if you prefer to use yours then that is no problem

it is a popular belief that amp sims and DSP in general does not like analog pedals, but my experience seems to refute that conclusion.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae