Hey everyone! Im in the market for an electric guitar and to be honest, I am quite lost. I've been trying to read up, and maybe its the hellish week at work I've had or just me being stupid, but buying an electric guitar is a jungle and I'm not sure where to go. I went to a store and talked to some people, but considering my budget, they freaked me out, and hence now im here. I'll provide as much details as I can.

Budget? - I actually already have an electric guitar (Squire stratocaster) and a cheap-ass amplifier. Since the amp is horrible, my goal is to get both a new guitar and a new amp. My thinking was ~700$ for the guitar and ~300-400 for the amp. I might go a little higher if you think there is something totally worth it.

I will say though that I live in Denmark, and I believe prices are slightly higher here. So in reality while with todays exchange rate im willing to shell out 800, Ill prolly get around 700 in US dollar value worth of guitar...

Favorite Artists? - I have a man crush on Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails, by far and away my favorite band. But since its not particularly guitar oriented music, I'll give some other bands I like (for the guitar).

G'N'R
Metallica
Jimi Hendrix,
Rolling Stones
Basically, I like a little of everything. Thats why, as far as sound, I want something that can handle most things. I prefer metal, so Id rather choose something that goes along well with that type of music, but I prefer something slightly general...

Preferences? - My main thing is I don't like to flashy things. I don't like guitars that where made where I imagine someone sitting in a studio saying "OMG THIS IS GONNA LOOK BADASS!", think flying V ( think they are called). I really like the Les Pauls (and I think that comes from the fact its Trents guitar of choice). Also like the ESP that looks like the Les Paul (think its called MH-1000 or something like that). Other than that, for some reason Im not a fan of Fenders.

Pickups? - Like I said earlier, I like all kinds of music but prefer metal. Other than that, I dont have any preferences in terms of pick-ups.

New or Used? - The Used market here in Denmark does not seem that great. Besides, I dont trust myself to buy a high-quality used. So preferbly new.

Location? - Copenhagen.

Current Gear? - I have a Squire Stratocaster and a horrible amp, but its not at my place. Currently, Im playing acoustic guitar (CD-60 I think its called). Love it, but want an electric guitar to get some distortion action going.

AMP - I have to buy an amplifier as well and here is where I got worried... When I went to a local store, I asked to guy to show me a decent amp and he picked out a 1000$ which is way out of my price range. Is this the price you need to go to, to get something good, or are there cheaper ones out there? Like I said earlier, my plan was to get an amplifiere in the price rangeo of 300-400.

Thank you in advance for the help, and since this is my first post, I wanna add Im glad to be here . I played guitar a number of years back but quit (for some stupid reason). Im glad I found my way back to the good side .

Br,
Johannes
If I was you Id split your amp and guitar money equally about 500 for each, this will allow you to get a good guitar and good amp instead of a very good guitar and a standard amp. Maybe try the high end epiphone les Paul's and a vox ac15 amp (with 500 you would want a tube amp)
Fender Baja Telecaster
Gretsch G5422tdc
Fender Classic Player Jazzmaster
Vox AC15C1
Gibson (or epiphone) les paul may be worht looking at. Seems there are 4 big choices for guitarts - strats, teles, les paul and ES335/355 "types"

Strats and teles and PS90 (pickup) on 335 types are all single, les pauls and most 335 types are humbuckers. Superstrats I think they're called have a humbucker in the bridge position.
I see a lot of metal players with les pauls or other humbucker equipped axes.

335 'types' come in a couple of variations - all are semi-hollow. Some have the PS90 single pickups and often very hollow bodies. the humbucker ones often have a block under the pickups so you get less feedback at higher volumes. the solid stop bridges have more sustain but the trapeze style looks cooler IMO. Normally you run heaver strings on these types of guitars and for practice you can play without an amp. Generally they are more bluesy sounding but you'll see lots of people using them - the beatles used a gretsch as did a lot of early rockers.

Fenders have narrower necks than gibsons and most other guitars - not a lot, 1/8" (3-4mm). Is this a big deal? May be to you. Your acoustic probably has the wider neck than your strat. Does it matter to you?

Best thing is to go spend a few hours at the store, pick one amp, and play 10 different guitars thru it - see which ones you like - the feel, the sound, the look, etc.

amps...tube or SS? I really like the fender mustang line of amps. SS, lots of emulations and not expensive. the 3 is probably the best bang for the buck. We have a 5. A lot of amp for use in the house. but fun! $350-500 range. 50-60 watts will sound good. "Weaker" amps just don't have the power, even played low, to really sound full.
tubes will run more money to buy and maintain. tubes liek strings age and need replaced.
PRS Tremonti SE or an Epi Les Paul. Stock Humbucker pickups for the heavy stuff.

Blackstar is an amp that does Metal pretty well. Also Orange Dark Terror. Not sure how much $$ in Denmark though. Good luck!
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Mar 14, 2014,
If you're willing to go used, $400 can get you a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe or Blues Jr. That will leave you with $300 for a used Fender, Epiphone, Ibanez, or one of many others.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Well-made, non-flashy, tonally flexible, and the seller ships worldwide:
https://reverb.com/item/72575-reverend-bayonet-electrical-guitar#description-tab

Also well-made, somewhat flashy & tonally flexible (but this guy may or may not ship to Denmark- inquire before bidding):
https://reverb.com/item/85199-reverend-warhawk-ii-390-2012-metallic-red
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Mar 14, 2014,
Hey guys, thanks for the answers, much appreciated.

JustRooster: From what I can tell, the used market aint that great here in Copenhagen, but I'll give it a look.

To those who recommended 335s: Never been a fan of that guitars looks. I know you should focus on what it sounds like, but to me I want a guitar that sounds good AND looks good, and Im not a fan of that one...

Dannyalcatraz: I'll have a look at those, thanks for the tip .

As a follow-up, I've done some reasearch. I haven't had an opportunity to test it yet myself, but I saw that my local music store has a (What I believe to be) good deal on ESP LTD EC-1000 for about 650-700 bucks. I don't know the exact model, but it's with active pick-up (Which from what I can understand are great for heavy rock/metal which is about 85% of what I play). I am considering buying that guitar, along with a Line 6 Amplifi 150 for about 500. Would that be a good combo?
Last edited by JohannesBrun at Mar 15, 2014,
Don't get the amplify, Get this www.thomann.de/gb/jet_city_amplification_jca22h_guitar_head.htm and this www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_g212_vintage.htm

You will have a great sounding rig you will not grow out of it for years to come. If you think you will be gigging or playing with others this 50 watt version of that head would do www.thomann.de/gb/jet_city_amplification_jca50h.htm

If you want a combo then this would be great www.thomann.de/gb/jet_city_amplification_jca2212_guitar_combo.htm
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I would think amp first. Try a few tube amps. There are many under $900. The Peavey classic 50 is amazing clean and takes pedals well. After you find the amp, then look for the guitar you can afford. A $2000 guitar will sound bad through a cheap amp but a squire will sound great through a good amp. I have a cheap Jackson and play through a Bugera V55. It sounds wonderful. And before anyone says anything. The Bugera has not blown up yet........ Yet.
+1 on jet city since you're in europe.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If you are not gigging, or only gig places that are quite small / intimate, then you might consider the Vox AC4C1 amp, which is an all tube amp you can find for under $300. I've been very happy with it, but I only play at home. I have to keep the volume quite low, it can get very loud. Great bang for the buck for a small tube amp.

You can sometimes find Gibson SG for around $700. Looks very cool, good for all kind of rock, holds re-sale value if you decide it's not for you.

Or you might find a PRS (not an SE, but an American made) for close to $1,000, if you can spend a bit more, probably would be very good player, and also holds re-sale value.

Ken
Bernie Sanders for President!
Quote by krm27
If you are not gigging, or only gig places that are quite small / intimate, then you might consider the Vox AC4C1 amp, which is an all tube amp you can find for under $300. I've been very happy with it, but I only play at home. I have to keep the volume quite low, it can get very loud. Great bang for the buck for a small tube amp.

You can sometimes find Gibson SG for around $700. Looks very cool, good for all kind of rock, holds re-sale value if you decide it's not for you.

Or you might find a PRS (not an SE, but an American made) for close to $1,000, if you can spend a bit more, probably would be very good player, and also holds re-sale value.

Ken

Ill have a look at that one, thanks for the tip. Yeah, I'm not gigging, I'm just starting out playing at home. Therefore, I need something that sounds good at slightly lower volumes. The Jet city one that was recommended looks good, but as far as I could see, what was written about it was that it only sounds good once you start to crack the volume up real high, and I live in an apartment building with terrible sound proofing, I wan't to try and avoid pissing my neighbours to much...
Check out:

Guitars:
LTD EC-401VF
Epiphone Les Paul Standard

Amps:
Jet City JCA2212C
Marshall DSL models
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
If you're only planning on playing through headphones and/or interfacing with your PC for the forseeable future, consider a portable digital modeling device like one of these (some are discontinued, can still be easily found):

Boss Micro-BR 4 track
http://www.guitarcenter.com/-i1169092.gc

Boss Micro-BR 80
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BR80/

Pocket POD
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Line-6-Pocket-POD-Guitar-Multi-Effects-Processor-104391875-i1173933.gc

Tascam GT-R1
http://www.guitarcenter.com/TASCAM-GT-R1-Portable-Guitar-Bass-Recorder-105125306-i1401677.gc
http://www.guitarcenter.com/TASCAM-DR-1-GT-R1-Accessory-Kit-105020473-i1402140.gc

Korg Pandora Mini
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Korg-Pandora-Mini-PXMINI-Guitar-Multi-Effects-Processor-H70754-i1746466.gc

Korg Px4
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Korg-Pandora-PX4D-Guitar-Multi-Effects-Processor-103381554-i1124641.gc

Korg Pandora Stomp
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PandoraSTOr/

Korg Px5
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Korg-Pandora-PX5D-Guitar-Multi-Effects-Processor-104821715-i1387080.gc

Here is a visual comparison of (left to right) Tascam, my PX-5 and one of my Px4s to my old Aiwa cassette player:

Only the Tascam has decent acoustic recording capacity. All DO have features like tuners, metronomes, drum synthesizers, and digital amp & pedal modeling.

So with decent headphones, you can rock out like you were playing Texas Stadium. And yes, they are all about the size of an old Walkman.

The ones I own: the Tascam has the external mics, a phrase trainer (loop & slow down stuff for practicing), and takes SD cards. Both it and the PX5 can connect directly to your computer via a USB port. It is less powerful than the PX5, but, oddly, the PX5 does not have a belt/strap hook.

The ones I don't own: The Line6 PocketPOD is, I believe, the most popular device like this; the Boss might be the most powerful (and priciest); the Pandora Mini is the smallest (its about the size of a stack of business cards), cheapest, and least powerful.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Am I the only one that is not a fan of epiphone?

Anyways if it was me I'd go Jackson, ESP, prs, fender and I want to suggest reverend but never actually played one.

As for amps I find them a head ache to pick one.
song stuck in my head today

Just gonna comment on the amps cause' everyone else is talking about the guitars

If I were you, I would spend as much as possible on the guitar first, then the amplifier. Something like a Roland Cube 10w is great for the job. Got different tone presets and it's only a couple hundred dollars. Too bad it doesn't have a 3 band equalizer.

I believe Laney made an amp for 70-80 US dollars (400 Hong Kong dollars, I live in HK), where all you get is a clean channel, distortion, 3 band EQ, volume and gain. Should fit the job for a bedroom amp!

If you have an iPad or Mac, then try using Amplitube. You can try each amp model before you buy it. If you want it for iPad or iPhone, then you have to buy an iRig (google it, it is basically an audio interface), but if you want something for a Mac, then spend a decent amount on an audio interface, amps such as an AFD 100 aren't much from experience!
Quote by lbc_sublime
Am I the only one that is not a fan of epiphone?

Haven't played Epi in over 5 years, but.. when I did play them, even on good amps, they all felt like garbage to me.