Hi, I may be investing in a proper tube amp finally next year and am a bit torn. I have looked at a few brands and models and was wondering if anyone could give a bit of insight. So far the amps I have narrowed my choices down to are: Schecter USA series amp, EVH 5150 III (50W and possibly 100W) and Peavey 6505.

I am looking for versatility first and foremost as well as clarity and definition. Something that can go from something super heavy like Slayer to something beautiful and melodic sounding like Dream Theater or Rush. I have heard that the EVH amp is pretty versatile but was wondering if it could do what I described above.

My Gear: Schecter Damien Elite with James Hetfield EMGs, Dunlop 9-46 strings and an Ibanez S570DXQM with a Crunch Lab (bridge) and Liquifier (Neck) equipped with Dunlop 9-46 strings

Any help is greatly appreciated

Thanks!!
Mesa
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Please answer...

Budget? - What is practical for you and what is your limit?

Genres? - What style do you play mostly, fav guitarists, do you need cleans, etc?

New or Used? - Lots of great amps out there used, especially in a down economy.

Home or Gig? - Also important. Maybe you do both. Jamming with a drummer can be considered 'gigging' but you won't have a PA etc.

Closest City? - We aren't here to stalk you but we need to know where you are in the world roughly and we can help further if we know what city you are in (ie craigslist, local shops, Guitar Center used section, etc)

Current Gear? - Also good for us to know.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Buy the schecter amp, it rulz. It does the brutz better than anything out there. get the synyster gates custom while your at it. You'll be the coolest 15 yr old on the block.

For real stay away from the schecter amps, they are over priced for what you get and they sound pretty horid form my experience. Out of your list the EVH for sure
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Ignore the frothing ignorance that the Schecter amps receive.

I've played both USA Schecter models, they're both perfectly fine amps. The only people that crap on them have some obsession with talking about how much they hate Avenged Sevenfold. Its simply narrow minded ignorance over others taste in music. Because shitting on x band is the "cool" thing to do.

They retail for about $2,500, a decent price for what they offer. The Hellwin sounds pretty close to a JVM to me, but a bit better of a clean channel IMO. The other has a bit more focus in the lower midrange and is less "Marshally".

The EVH has some great lows and mids, I still think the cleans could use some work, though.

Not a huge fan of the 6505, sounds good but you have to scoop a lot of mids to tighten up the sound, which is kind of annoying and makes you disappear in the mix.

Overall, I say Hellwin or 5150 III, just depends on how important those cleans are to you.
I'm always screwing with my rig. Muh chilluns:
Warmoth NRFR strat JB/Jazz
Mesa Boogie Royal Atlantic, Diezel 2x12
Turbo tuner, J Cantrell wah, Alesis 3630
Green Rhino, Wampler Velvet, Strymon ElCap/Lex, Phase 45
I personally would never buy a Hellwin, especially now. To me they're ugly as sin, and they're way overpriced. Since they're newer and no-one owns them, they'll be hard to fine used. Musicians friend has them listed for $3000 Canadian new. A used JVM goes for half that or less if you get the 50watt version. That said in not a fan of either amps' sound and I'd recommend the EVH for what you want.
Quote by Guy_Mitchell

I've played both USA Schecter models, they're both perfectly fine amps. The only people that crap on them have some obsession with talking about how much they hate Avenged Sevenfold. Its simply narrow minded ignorance over others taste in music. Because shitting on x band is the "cool" thing to do.

They retail for about $2,500, a decent price for what they offer. The Hellwin sounds pretty close to a JVM to me, but a bit better of a clean channel IMO. The other has a bit more focus in the lower midrange and is less "Marshally".

The EVH has some great lows and mids, I still think the cleans could use some work, though.

Not a huge fan of the 6505, sounds good but you have to scoop a lot of mids to tighten up the sound, which is kind of annoying and makes you disappear in the mix.

Overall, I say Hellwin or 5150 III, just depends on how important those cleans are to you.

No, it's not. They're significantly overpriced for what they are, average to 'meh' amps.

They have neither the flexibility nor tonal quality of the 5150 III yet they cost more, and they aren't even in the same league as the Mesa MK V, which is still a bit less expensive.

And as to the paragraph after your initial sentence, I actually like many A7X songs, doesn't mean I have to like the amps. Your claim is as misguided as it is amusing.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
I like A7X too and the hellwin looks overpriced to me as well.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Mitchell: you have to scoop the mids on a 6505 to get it tight? If your defense of those silly Schecter amps didn't invalidate your opinion, that statement did.

TS: the EVH is very versatile, as would be many recommendations so far, but for ultimate versatility get a Randall RM. You can swap in different preamps for whatever sounds you want.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by evmac
I personally would never buy a Hellwin, especially now. To me they're ugly as SYN , and they're way overpriced. Since they're newer and no-one owns them, they'll be hard to fine used. Musicians friend has them listed for $3000 Canadian new. A used JVM goes for half that or less if you get the 50watt version. That said in not a fan of either amps' sound and I'd recommend the EVH for what you want.

hehe
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
Marshall JVM
Marshall JCM2000 DSL
Laney VH100R
Orange Rockerverb MkII
EVH 5150 III
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Budget is about 3500. Genre: Metal (like Slayer, Metallica, Dream theater, Maiden but also rock like Rush, AC/DC. Cleans are somewhat important but I could probably buy a reverb or chorus pedal to polish them up. It would also be mostly for home but I have a few friends that play as well and may decide to play with them as well
Quote by hilgers13
Budget is about 3500. Genre: Metal (like Slayer, Metallica, Dream theater, Maiden but also rock like Rush, AC/DC. Cleans are somewhat important but I could probably buy a reverb or chorus pedal to polish them up. It would also be mostly for home but I have a few friends that play as well and may decide to play with them as well

Hell you can save a tone of money and get a Used Marshall JCM2000 DSL100/50 and a nice cab and be <$1000 total
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Arby911
No, it's not. They're significantly overpriced for what they are, average to 'meh' amps.

They have neither the flexibility nor tonal quality of the 5150 III yet they cost more, and they aren't even in the same league as the Mesa MK V, which is still a bit less expensive.

And as to the paragraph after your initial sentence, I actually like many A7X songs, doesn't mean I have to like the amps. Your claim is as misguided as it is amusing.

How is my claim misguided? Contrary to your implication, I never said you had to like the amps. I said that the only people shitting on these amps have an obsession with shitting on bands they don't like, which is why they talk bad about these things in the first place. You know for a fact that tons of people do this, all you have to do is look at any article on the front page or search the pit for threads about A7X.

No, its not the greatest amp. Is it good for the price? Possibly. As far as I know, the design of a noise gate integrated into a 3 channel amp with a loop and multiple voicings is pretty expensive. People complained about the price of the JCM800 Kerry King model for this as well. The only gated amps that I never saw complaints for were the JSX and the JVM410JS.

I try to give every amp equal play, and as for the Hellwin, I like it, I think its a fine amp. Is it expensive? Sure, but if the only excuse is that you can find a better sounding amp for cheaper, why does everyone bother buying things like Bogner, Suhr, Marshall, etc. when you can literally just buy a Splawn? Or even the RM100? A DSL? A Jet City? An Egnater?

If you don't like it, that's fine. But don't call my post misguided when I'm trying to give a truthful defense of this amp. Your opinion on the sound does not factor in the slightest, neither does mine. What sounds we like, sounds like shit to others. Its a fact that these guys are famous and people want to sound like them. An example is his guitar. His guitar is uncomfortable and the pickups are generally regarded as garbage, but his signature guitar is Schecter's most popularly sold guitar, and continues selling like hell.

Next time, state that you disagree, give your reasoning, and cut it off there. By tagging that on at the end, you are flame baiting and being condescending.

Mitchell: you have to scoop the mids on a 6505 to get it tight? If your defense of those silly Schecter amps didn't invalidate your opinion, that statement did.

TS: the EVH is very versatile, as would be many recommendations so far, but for ultimate versatility get a Randall RM. You can swap in different preamps for whatever sounds you want.

Also condescending. Everyone's opinion carries the same weight, nobody is invalidated by the statements they make here unless their statement gets them banned.

The tightness of the 6505 is a common complaint. It was even outlined in a NGD just a few weeks ago.
Quote by Guy_Mitchell
How is my claim misguided? Contrary to your implication, I never said you had to like the amps. I said that the only people shitting on these amps have an obsession with shitting on bands they don't like, which is why they talk bad about these things in the first place. You know for a fact that tons of people do this, all you have to do is look at any article on the front page or search the pit for threads about A7X.

<SNIP>

Next time, state that you disagree, give your reasoning, and cut it off there. By tagging that on at the end, you are flame baiting and being condescending.

Let's see what else you said...emphasis mine.

Quote by Guy_Mitchell

In response to this?

Quote by Robbgnarly
Buy the schecter amp, it rulz. It does the brutz better than anything out there. get the synyster gates custom while your at it. You'll be the coolest 15 yr old on the block.

For real stay away from the schecter amps, they are over priced for what you get and they sound pretty horid form my experience. Out of your list the EVH for sure

So here's the problem. No one here had, or has, done what you claimed. So either what you said was immaterial or... you were the one that lit this flame war?

Everyone that's not preferred the amp has given their reasons, the only one expressing any butthurt is...well...you?

So in the interest of moving forward, let me express this to you plainly and rationally so there's no question of my position.

Go Fück yourself.
Charles Darwin
Seems like the thread starter and myself are after a similar set of opinions:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1636561

To throw my $0.02 into the Schecter amp discussion - I doubt that any amp that costs over $2000 will be proportionally better than one for under $1000, so the way I see it is top end equipment is all overpriced. People will be attracted to the overpriced stuff if it offers something they perceive to be unique.

A budget of $3500 sounds like overkill to me, especially if you go used.
Mitchell: condescending or not, the 6505 is one of the tightest amps on the market, that's what makes it such a popular metal amp. Furthermore, the mids on the 6505 are probably the biggest part of its tone, it has a very distinct midrange. I have NEVER heard of anyone scooping the mids on a 6505, you kill the amp at the point, and it certainly is plenty tight without doing so.

Also, your responses can ABSOLUTELY be invalidated when you make statements that are just too far fetched to the point of hurting your credibility, such as the one made about the 6505.

For the record, I couldn't give a shit about A7X. I think that ALL the Schecter amps are overpriced (not to mention ugly), not just Syns. For the price of one of them I could get a top notch Mesa, Marshall, Fortin.... Hell at that price you are talking Diezel.

They just aren't a good buy. Period.
Quote by Arby911
Let's see what else you said...emphasis mine.

In response to this?

So here's the problem. No one here had, or has, done what you claimed. So either what you said was immaterial or... you were the one that lit this flame war?

Everyone that's not preferred the amp has given their reasons, the only one expressing any butthurt is...well...you?

So in the interest of moving forward, let me express this to you plainly and rationally so there's no question of my position.

Go Fück yourself.

If I was responding to him, I would've quoted him. If the shoe fits, lace it up and wear it.

You made a personal attack against me. Twice now. I haven't flamed you at all. Yet I'm butthurt? As opposed to the person that has to throw around insults and attacks someone for having a different opinion and pointing out the ignorant bias?

Quote by dementiacaptain
Mitchell: condescending or not, the 6505 is one of the tightest amps on the market, that's what makes it such a popular metal amp. Furthermore, the mids on the 6505 are probably the biggest part of its tone, it has a very distinct midrange. I have NEVER heard of anyone scooping the mids on a 6505, you kill the amp at the point, and it certainly is plenty tight without doing so.

Also, your responses can ABSOLUTELY be invalidated when you make statements that are just too far fetched to the point of hurting your credibility, such as the one made about the 6505.

For the record, I couldn't give a shit about A7X. I think that ALL the Schecter amps are overpriced (not to mention ugly), not just Syns. For the price of one of them I could get a top notch Mesa, Marshall, Fortin.... Hell at that price you are talking Diezel.

They just aren't a good buy. Period.

Really? And who decides who's opinions are invalid on this forum? You?

Also keep in mind, that last sentence is your opinion, which is the whole point.
Quote by Guy_Mitchell
If I was responding to him, I would've quoted him. If the shoe fits, lace it up and wear it.

You made a personal attack against me. Twice now. I haven't flamed you at all. Yet I'm butthurt? As opposed to the person that has to throw around insults and attacks someone for having a different opinion and pointing out the ignorant bias?

You pointed out "ignorant bias" that simply didn't exist in the thread, and now you're going to claim it was NOT in response to Robb's snarky, but on point, posting?

Whatever floats your boat amigo, whatever floats your boat...

I have attacked your position, but I haven't attacked you yet.

But hey, the night is young, keep pushing...
Charles Darwin
Quote by Robbgnarly
Hell you can save a tone of money and get a Used Marshall JCM2000 DSL100/50 and a nice cab and be <$1000 total

+1

To get back on track. The only band you might not be able to get really close with the DSL is Dream Theatre, but it's pretty much perfect for everything else, and you can find it cheap. Waaaay cheaper than your budget. Robb's rec is a win-win for you.
Quote by Arby911
You pointed out "ignorant bias" that simply didn't exist in the thread, and now you're going to claim it was NOT in response to Robb's snarky, but on point, posting?

Whatever floats your boat amigo, whatever floats your boat...

I have attacked your position, but I haven't attacked you yet.

But hey, the night is young, keep pushing...

You keep claiming it was in response, but yet you also claim in the same sentence that there is no "ignorant bias" in this thread. Well, which is it?

Those contradictions be looking pretty lifelike, they is.

Quote by Arby911

Go Fück yourself.

And you claim this isn't a personal attack or flaming?

Whatever floats your boat, amigo.
Quote by Guy_Mitchell
You keep claiming it was in response, but yet you also claim in the same sentence that there is no "ignorant bias" in this thread. Well, which is it?

I'm saying you perceived, and reacted, to that which did not exist. Your misconception in no wise affects the reality of the postings. You railed against an argument not made.

Also, no, that's not an example of a personal attack.

To give you some examples, saying you're an asshole, or an ignorant peckerwood, or dumber than hammered shit, those would be personal attacks, which is why I didn't use them.
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
I'm saying you perceived, and reacted, to that which did not exist. Your misconception in no wise affects the reality of the postings. You railed against an argument not made.

Also, no, that's not an example of a personal attack.

To give you some examples, saying you're an asshole, or an ignorant peckerwood, or dumber than hammered shit, those would be personal attacks, which is why I didn't use them. :P

Sure.

That's personal attack numero tres, should I get a mod?
Quote by Guy_Mitchell
Sure.

If you feel it necessary, yes you should.

Because I haven't attacked you yet.

The mods here are:

MatrixClaw, Roc8995 and TNfootballfan62

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/MatrixClaw/

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/Roc8995/

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/TNfootballfan62/

If they feel I've attacked you, they can ban, warn or do whatever they feel is appropriate. Every one of them is a pretty decent sort.

Also, apologies to TS for the derail, but don't buy the Schecter amp.
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at Mar 15, 2014,
Quote by Guy_Mitchell

I have a JCM2000 DSL100, the schecter amps wish they were 1/2 the amp the DSL is I'll give you any info you need
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Take a look at Splawn as well TS. Some of the best amps on the market IMO
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Another one to try would be an Egnater Vengeance. Very versatile.
Quote by Katsock
hehe

nice work

Quote by Guy_Mitchell
Sure.

if you wish, but are you certain they're going to come down on your side?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i paid $1050 for a Fryette Sig:X. three channels, extremely versatile. all three channels are pretty damn good. you can have the second channel from clean or bluesy, to a metal rythm. third channel heavy.

don't see a ton of them around, but i really am impressed with mine.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/