I've got a little arrangement of Prelude from the Final Fantasy video games that I want to record, but I would need to tune my first string up to B4 to achieve the necessary range. Is it a recipe for breakage if I do so without adjusting anything else, or should I be able to do it without switching that one string to a larger gauge?

Guess I should include that I'm using light strings on a Jackson Dinky.
Last edited by thf24 at Mar 15, 2014,
Quote by thf24
I've got a little arrangement of Prelude from the Final Fantasy video games that I want to record, but I would need to tune my first string up to B4 to achieve the necessary range. Is it a recipe for breakage if I do so without adjusting anything else, or should I be able to do it without switching that one string to a larger gauge?

Guess I should include that I'm using light strings on a Jackson Dinky.

I'm thinking you'd have to switch it to a *lighter* gauge. But that's still a pretty high note. I do that kind of thing with my Variax, but that does it electronically, with no change in actual string tension.
I get to G using 9s...but B? You might have to go looking for something like a 6.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Can you not just fret it?
Gear:

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic