Page 1 of 2
How old is too old to make it in the music industry?
I notice alot of young kids nowadays getting huge,
the keyboardist in my band will be turning 34 this year, and he's a little worr- heck..IM a little worried it might be late to catch on to something big here, Im almost 27
And by make it, I mean make a comfortable living from making music.
Last edited by xbouncer927 at Mar 15, 2014,
Quote by xbouncer927
I notice alot of young kids nowadays getting huge,

steroids bro
Sail upon the open skies
well around 40 is where you start calling 'em cougars if that helps
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
Quote by soundgarden1986
when youre dead

^^^

But even 2 Pac released a few records post ded.
Quote by daytripper75
I wouldn't date a girl older than 30.

Christie Brinkley is almost 60... and i'd still bang her
I'm gonna totally improv this one and say that there's a 10-year rule.

If, in 10 years since you've been trying seriously to "make it" and don't see any real progress, then you're not going to make it. You simply do not possess the talent and skills required. It has nothing to do with luck.

Most people who genuinely have something to offer usually get noticed fairly quickly and can establish a solid career in 1-5 years.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Mar 15, 2014,
Quote by daytripper75
I wouldn't date a girl older than 30.

I wouldn't make eye contact with a girl older than 30
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
Quote by Xiaoxi
I'm gonna totally improv this one and say that there's a 10-year rule.

If, in 10 years since you've been trying seriously to "make it" and don't see any real progress, then you're not going to make it. You simply do not possess the talent and skills required. It has nothing to do with luck.

Most people who genuinely have something to offer usually get noticed fairly quickly and can establish a solid career in 1-5 years.

Pretty much this.

Its kind of dependent on genre though. Some genres are harder to break into than others.

For instance if you're trying to work your way into any sort of underground scene and don't make it in 10 years you're either not good enough or not trying hard enough.
ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
Quote by cheesefries
Christie Brinkley is almost 60... and i'd still bang her

Never said I wouldn't have sex with a woman over 30. :p

I just wouldn't want to date someone older than 30.
Quote by xbouncer927

You're too old to post this pic
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
I'm sorry but am I the only one who thinks that people who honestly believe that they are going to make a career for themselves in the music industry are so delusional that it borders on pathetic?

Anyways, I banged this thirty something lady back when I was 18. She wasn't really a looker, and it feels weird to admit it but honestly her vagina felt really good. Better than plenty of younger women I've been with. Even though I feel kinda gross and dirty about the whole ordeal I am pretty I would do it again just because she had some kinda magic cooter.
Listen. I'm sorry.
Last edited by vilk at Mar 15, 2014,
Justin Bieber is too old now for music industry. Go figure.
Quote by Dave Mustaine
If you want to be treated intelligently, act intelligent.

it seems as though the age is moving up, not down, if you look at the last couple decades, you had disturbed, soad, 5 finger death punch, and a whole bunch of other relatively large hard rock bands being older than traditional rock groups, then you look now at most groups and they keep making it older and older, it seems that now being young and making it is rarer than being old
I'm trying for a serious response here. Making it in the music industry, like you phrase it, while playing in a band with original music is going to be the hardest thing to get succesful at. A solid job you can pursuit in the industry would be producer, recording engineer, sound designer, sound editer, electronic music production, DJ, or as a band playing covers. All of these take alot of talent and dedication, but all those job are necessary to keep the industry running. If you are musical and driven you can make it in one of those jobs. As a band playing coversongs on a professional level, you could make a steady income.

If you are referring to making it with a band playing originals you are going to have a harder time. This is not just about being driven en being musical. This is much more about being lucky, knowing the right people, being able to bring something new to the table without forcing it. This is not a very realistic thing to persuit. Rather, its something that just happens to a band where the right people get together at the right time and where the songwriter(s) in the band happen to touch upon a direction that goes well in that time frame.

If making it in the music industry means being the next coldplay it is not a question of being to old, its a question of being to dellusional.

If you mean playing covers, then you might want to be more critical of weak elemets in your band. You need to perform really well on all band aspects if you want to make a steady income.

Hope this isnt to harsh or anything.
Charles Bradley
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Why do you think there is an age limit? I have friends that make a living playing in bar bands. They are in their 60s. They have been doing it for 20 years or more. And yes that is how they make their living. No day jobs. At times I am jealous.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by Jackal58
Why do you think there is an age limit? I have friends that make a living playing in bar bands. They are in their 60s. They have been doing it for 20 years or more. And yes that is how they make their living. No day jobs. At times I am jealous.

That's a really nice life.
Quote by DowntownRascal
I'm trying for a serious response here. Making it in the music industry, like you phrase it, while playing in a band with original music is going to be the hardest thing to get succesful at. A solid job you can pursuit in the industry would be producer, recording engineer, sound designer, sound editer, electronic music production, DJ, or as a band playing covers. All of these take alot of talent and dedication, but all those job are necessary to keep the industry running. If you are musical and driven you can make it in one of those jobs. As a band playing coversongs on a professional level, you could make a steady income.

If you are referring to making it with a band playing originals you are going to have a harder time. This is not just about being driven en being musical. This is much more about being lucky, knowing the right people, being able to bring something new to the table without forcing it. This is not a very realistic thing to persuit. Rather, its something that just happens to a band where the right people get together at the right time and where the songwriter(s) in the band happen to touch upon a direction that goes well in that time frame.

If making it in the music industry means being the next coldplay it is not a question of being to old, its a question of being to dellusional.

If you mean playing covers, then you might want to be more critical of weak elemets in your band. You need to perform really well on all band aspects if you want to make a steady income.

Hope this isnt to harsh or anything.

Everyone says "bring something original to the table" There is literally nothing original on the radio.
Quote by xbouncer927
Everyone says "bring something original to the table" There is literally nothing original on the radio.

For every artist you hear on the radio there are another 10,000 making a comfy living at playing music. You don't want to make a living at music you want to be a rock star.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by Jackal58
For every artist you hear on the radio there are another 10,000 making a comfy living at playing music. You don't want to make a living at music you want to be a rock star.

i don't know if your numbers check out, but basically this.

spoiler alert: you're not gonna be a rock star
Quote by xbouncer927

You dont have to like whats on the radio, but if you dont see whats new in what they bring to the table you are to out of touch with the zeitgeist to make it. Even if you want to be counter-modern pop, you still need to understand what zeitgeist you are countering.
Quote by progdude93
i don't know if your numbers check out, but basically this.

spoiler alert: you're not gonna be a rock star

Of course they check out. I just made them up.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by Jackal58
Of course they check out. I just made them up.

I will verify that you did in fact make them up.

I will make up a source proving it to be true:

Quote by Modern Music Monthly
Many musicians make a living without ever being in the spotlight. In fact, a recent study has shown that there are approximately 10,000 fulltime working musicians for every musician on the radio.

Modern Music Monthly is totally a valid source. I think Jackal will agree.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
I will verify that you did in fact make them up.

I will make up a source proving it to be true:

Modern Music Monthly is totally a valid source. I think Jackal will agree.

You have a bright future in politics.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by Jackal58
You have a bright future in politics.

I am the future of politics.
She's too old if you have to stock a bottle of carmex just to have sex with her.

Quote by xbouncer927

Literally everything on the radio IS original, as they'd get sued for copyright infringement if it wasn't. Even covers are sung with different dynamics.

/grammar nazi

OT: If all you want is to make a living from music, strictly limiting yourself to being a performing band is not going to end well. There are many more avenues to explore, that you don't seem interested in.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Anyway I have technically statutory raped #nice

Quote by EndThecRinge51
once a girl and i promised to never leave each other

since that promise was broken

i dont make promises any more
Quote by theogonia777
I am the future of politics.

The future is bleak for the rest of us.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Page 1 of 2