I've been out of the effects loop (har har...) for a couple years now, and I'm trying to get back to playing guitar. Are there any notable boutique or name-brand stomp boxes worth checking out as far as overdrives, delays, or chorus? Thanks.
Fender Strat -> MXR GT-OD -> Lovepedal OD-11 -> MXR Black Label Chorus -> Mesa F-30

Exclusively using V-Picks!
For the overdrive you could take a look at the Fulltone OCD, im pretty sure it is a boutique but i'm not 100%

It is a popular pedal and although I have never played one, I havent heard a bad thing about it
You hit 'em and they get back up
I hit 'em and they stay down
- Frank Castle
Yes, too many to name.

What sort of sound do you want? What's your current setup? What's your budget? Why boutique?
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Quote by Eppicurt
Yes, too many to name.

What sort of sound do you want? What's your current setup? What's your budget? Why boutique?

I'd like a nicer delay ~$150 to thicken up leads. Currently, I've got a Fender Strat, an MXR GT-OD, a chorus, and a wah. And it doesn't have to be boutique. I'm purely curious as to what's new on the market since the end of 2012.
Fender Strat -> MXR GT-OD -> Lovepedal OD-11 -> MXR Black Label Chorus -> Mesa F-30

You're literally spoiled for choice.

Jump onto Pro Guitar Shop's website, click delay and have fun. They should have demo's for pretty much everything up there.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
In the ~$150 price range, i suggest you try the Malekko Ekko 616, the CMAT Mods Deeelay and the Earthquaker Devices Disaster Transport Jr.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
lol at the joke in your first sentence

most ods are still based on tubescreamers. not all. but a lot. so yeah.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

well said. funny how things sometimes just stay the same over time. Also worthy of note: tubescreamers still sound good! and ears still work the same so win win
Quote by Linkerman
In the ~$150 price range, i suggest you try the Malekko Ekko 616, the CMAT Mods Deeelay and the Earthquaker Devices Disaster Transport Jr.

I highly suggest this.
I'm always screwing with my rig. Muh chilluns:
Warmoth NRFR strat JB/Jazz
Mesa Boogie Royal Atlantic, Diezel 2x12
Turbo tuner, J Cantrell wah, Alesis 3630
Green Rhino, Wampler Velvet, Strymon ElCap/Lex, Phase 45
Quote by Linkerman

I actually had the Malekko Ekko 616 and CMAT Mods Deeelay on a list of delays I wanted to do a shootout for from 2 years. I've seen the demos, and they both look incredible. Is there any argument for the Boss DD-7 in your mind, by the way?

Quote by Dave_Mc

Thank you for appreciating gratuitous puns and for the information! I'm content with the GT-OD at the moment, but as I said, I'm just curious to see if there's been anything released in the past two years or so that is worth looking into.

Quote by TehGainiac
I actually had the Malekko Ekko 616 and CMAT Mods Deeelay on a list of delays I wanted to do a shootout for from 2 years. I've seen the demos, and they both look incredible. Is there any argument for the Boss DD-7 in your mind, by the way?

IMHO, no.
The only reason that would make the Boss DD-7 worth it is if you were looking for a digital delay, and even then the TC Electronics Flashback would be a better option than the Boss, around the same price.

By the way, all the delays i suggested are analog. They're great at what they do, but they're kind of a one-trick pony. If you want a versatile delay, digital is the way to go.

As far as chorus goes (which i've completely forgotten), even though i had other, more expensive chorus pedals, i finally settled on the Electro-Harmonix Small Clone. It's definitely one of the best chorus out there.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Last edited by Linkerman at Mar 16, 2014,
Quote by TehGainiac

Thank you for appreciating gratuitous puns and for the information! I'm content with the GT-OD at the moment, but as I said, I'm just curious to see if there's been anything released in the past two years or so that is worth looking into.

yay puns are awesome

I think the GT is either tubescreamer or SD1-based (both of those are pretty similar anyway), I'm sure with a bit of googling or lurking at freestompboxes forum or similar you could find out for sure. if you like it then there's probably no need to upgrade it (and as i implied, if you do decide to get another od make sure it's not very, very similar to what you already have).

there are other od designs, to be fair. personally i like something transparent combined with a ts or sd1-alike. something like a timmy, bluesbreaker, blues driver, klon (soul food), something like that should work.

EDIT: i'm not too well up on the other effects but I suspect linkerman is on the money when he says digital for versatility, analogue if you know you need that type of analogue sound (or self-oscillation). bear in mind that currently a lot of hybrid delays (basically a digital chip but sort of used in an analogue-style circuit, if that makes sense) are currently advertised as analogue, so again it pays to do some internet research.

chorus, if you don't want to spend too much and want analogue, is possibly a bit like the tubescreamer thing. You have the small clone linkerman mentioned (which is nice, but quite dark i think- nirvana's chorus sound on "come as you are", far as i'm aware), the boss ce2 (tons of pedals are based on that) which is a bit brighter, and maybe the ibanez cs9 (not sure how many clones there are of that... i've heard the cheaper joyo one is based on it, not certain if that's been corroborated. if so it's pretty close-sounding to the ce2 ).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Mar 16, 2014,
Quote by Dave_Mc
yay puns are awesome

I think the GT is either tubescreamer or SD1-based (both of those are pretty similar anyway), I'm sure with a bit of googling or lurking at freestompboxes forum or similar you could find out for sure. if you like it then there's probably no need to upgrade it (and as i implied, if you do decide to get another od make sure it's not very, very similar to what you already have).

there are other od designs, to be fair. personally i like something transparent combined with a ts or sd1-alike. something like a timmy, bluesbreaker, blues driver, klon (soul food), something like that should work.

So, I actually just pulled the trigger on the Lovepedal OD11 this week. From the demos I've seen, it seems like a nice OD to boost a slightly breaking up amp or as a clean boost, so it'll be a nice contrast from the GT-OD methinks.

Quote by TehGainiac
So, I actually just pulled the trigger on the Lovepedal OD11 this week. From the demos I've seen, it seems like a nice OD to boost a slightly breaking up amp or as a clean boost, so it'll be a nice contrast from the GT-OD methinks.

yeah as far as i'm aware it's a timmy basically. so yeah it should work for that
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah as far as i'm aware it's a timmy basically. so yeah it should work for that

Yeah, I'm pretty excited. The model I got is the PGS exclusive version, and it actually comes in tomorrow. I should have an NGD thing up by Saturday at the latest.

Out of curiosity, what's your take on overdrive vs. an actual designated boost for getting that tasteful pushed break-up from an amp? Do you prefer the volume max, gain minimal, tone to taste model? Or do you like having an actual boost pedal?

It depends, I think. I normally use an OD because for the higher gain tones I tend to use it for, I appreciate the tone shaping abilities and extra compression of an OD pedal. Plus an OD pedal is more versatile, too.

But if you were after lower gain tones and wanted it to sound as close to your amp as possible then I can see the appeal of a genuine clean boost. I haven't tried that many clean boosts, fwiw.

It's also worth pointing out that in most situations either an od or a boost pedal will normally increase preamp distortion, not power amp. (just in case you didn't realise, when you said "tasteful pushed breakup")
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?