Seen a lot of stuff on the internet saying stuff like "Making a kid with social anxiety do public speaking is like making a kid with a broken leg do PE". Is this true?

Personally I think although people may have social anxiety and confidence issues, public speaking is an important thing to do in school. When you go out into the real world and get a job you're going to have to talk to groups of people you don't go, and give speeches, and give presentations, and if you can't do something like that at an interview, the "social anxiety" excuse/condition just won't cut it.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Seen a lot of stuff on the internet saying stuff like "Making a kid with social anxiety do public speaking is like making a kid with a broken leg do PE". Is this true?

Personally I think although people may have social anxiety and confidence issues, public speaking is an important thing to do in school. When you go out into the real world and get a job you're going to have to talk to groups of people you don't go, and give speeches, and give presentations, and if you can't do something like that at an interview, the "social anxiety" excuse/condition just won't cut it.

Well then **** you and you don' t know shit of what you're talking about.
When you have a problem there is three things you can do. The good options are to either fix the problem (which isn't always possible), or to find a way to work around it. Using it as an excuse so you don't have to work on developing important skills is the bad, one and should be discouraged at all times.
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
Quote by VillainousLatin
Well then **** you and you don' t know shit of what you're talking about.

Well I'm sorry if you get a group interview for a job and have to stand up and make a presentation but you cant because you have social anxiety, you're not going to get that job, plain and simple. Employers aren't going to tread around your issues when they could just hire someone else who doesn't have problems such as that.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
I always hated doing it, my mouth would get so dry I could barely talk and then I'd start stuttering.
Well it's easy lower the drinking age and make it legal to drink in both school and the workplace. Social anxiety problem solved.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Well I'm sorry if you get a group interview for a job and have to stand up and make a presentation but you cant because you have social anxiety, you're not going to get that job, plain and simple. Employers aren't going to tread around your issues when they could just hire someone else who doesn't have problems such as that.

Stop being ignorant pls.
Quote by Weaponized
What if the kid had social anxiety and a broken leg

he won't be doing any stand-up comedy haaa
Quote by VillainousLatin
Stop being ignorant pls.

While I hate the fact that it does, this is how the world works. TS is being realistic, wether he is ignorant depends on how he thinks people with social anxiety should deal with their problem.

Quote by VillainousLatin
Stop being ignorant pls.

Ignorant would be me ignoring the fact that people have social anxiety. I understand that it's a very real problem.

However realising that in the cut-throat world of employment, recruiters won't be accomodating of your social anxiety problems is not being ignorant.

Quote by EndTheRapture51
Ignorant would be me ignoring the fact that people have social anxiety. I understand that it's a very real problem.

However realising that in the cut-throat world of employment, recruiters won't be accomodating of your social anxiety problems is not being ignorant.

I know, but forcing someone with social anxiety to do public speaking because you think it' s an excuse is pretty dumb.
Quote by VillainousLatin
I know, but forcing someone with social anxiety to do public speaking because you think it' s an excuse is pretty dumb.

How else are they going to get over their anxieties? School is about preparing you for life in the outside world isn't it?

Speaking in front of a class of 20-30 in a school environment of people you know well is going to be an infinitely better way of "teaching" public speaking than just being thrown into a group environment of strangers in a job/university interview?

How would you deal with these peoples issues then? Would you just ignore the problem or would you do something about it like working up speaking to small groups eventually to larger ones?

That's my issue as well. You're acting as if anxiety is just someone acting stupid.

Usually diagnosed students w/ anxiety will have had enough treatment to have workarounds or coping mechanisms in high school. Obviously this depends on severity and treatment effectiveness
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
ITT: people who can't read properly

Quote by EndTheRapture51
How else are they going to get over their anxieties? School is about preparing you for life in the outside world isn't it?

Speaking in front of a class of 20-30 in a school environment of people you know well is going to be an infinitely better way of "teaching" public speaking than just being thrown into a group environment of strangers in a job/university interview?

How would you deal with these peoples issues then? Would you just ignore the problem or would you do something about it like working up speaking to small groups eventually to larger ones?

Oh man, if only there would be a kind of doctor to help out specifically with those type of issues...
Here's the thing. I have social anxiety and I'm not a recluse. It is possible to just get over. I spoke in front of around 2000 people without much of a problem. Was I nervous? yeah. Was it the end of the world? no. Public speaking is a very important part of school and there is no excuse not to be able to do it. In a college, university, or work setting, if you can't give presentations, you're going to fail at whatever you do.
The thing is, does public speaking actually help these people? Because it's never really helped me lol. And I've been told I have "good presence" and stuff by teachers but I still pretty much feel the same way about it as I did in elementary school. Well, it is better but I think that's only because I'm just more social in general now, nothing to do with experience.
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
The thing is, does public speaking actually help these people? Because it's never really helped me lol. And I've been told I have "good presence" and stuff by teachers but I still pretty much feel the same way about it as I did in elementary school. Well, it is better but I think that's only because I'm just more social in general now, nothing to do with experience.

a.k.a. exposure therapy is a very delicate process
i don't know why i feel so dry
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Basically this... Apart from the last sentence that is.
Tell me who's that writin'...
If the majority of people felt comfortable speaking in public they wouldn't need to do it in school, it's something 99% of people can get used to, and it's better to make a dick out of yourself when it doesn't matter, rather than when there are people you actually need to impress when you have a job or whatever
Quote by zackk
Here's the thing. I have social anxiety and I'm not a recluse. It is possible to just get over. I spoke in front of around 2000 people without much of a problem. Was I nervous? yeah. Was it the end of the world? no. Public speaking is a very important part of school and there is no excuse not to be able to do it. In a college, university, or work setting, if you can't give presentations, you're going to fail at whatever you do.

No I am sorry you are wrong, please stand back and let other people talk for you.
Quote by EndTheRapture51

Only if the teacher is bad. You wouldn't just get a kid with severe social anxiety issues and place them in front of a huge crowd of people to publicly speak, you would build up to that outcome over time.

It is less comparable to making a kid with a broken leg do PE and more comparable to making a kid with a broken leg do some physical therapy.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
I think it would be valuable to distinguish between the people with debilitating social anxiety and the people who just have social anxiety.

the former group will likely never "get over it." hence, they get jobs that don't require much interaction. the latter group DOES need to kind of get over it, because their professional goals cannot usually be achieved otherwise
Quote by zackk

You don't have social anxiety then.

For people who say that they just "got over" their social anxiety I' ll explain what happens to me when I stand in a group of people to speak. My minds gets foggy and I feel kind of a buzz in my head, enough to distract me and make me forget what I was supposed to say, actually, enough to give me problem speaking at all. I get sweaty and I feel an incredible wave of heat around me. I start shaking and it' s noticeable when I speak. People that say that social anxiety can be conquered by just doing stuff like public speaking have no idea what they're talking about. I did however work gradually with my psychologist and psychiatrist and I was able to do 2 great interviews and got a job. Throwing someone with social anxiety into a lion's den and telling him to survive won't do shit for him.
Last edited by VillainousLatin at Mar 15, 2014,
Even with legitimately diagnosed social anxiety, practicing public speaking will improve public speaking and presentation skills, which are important. It may not (likely will not) improve their anxiety, but I don't see why they shouldn't also participate, unless a doctor thinks the kid will surely have a panic attack or something.
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
Is this thread about people with social anxiety using it as an excuse to skip interviews or smth? Or what the ****?
Quote by VillainousLatin
No, it's apparently about trivializing social anxiety.

Please help to enlighten us rather than replying with points such as "No" and "You are ignorant".