Hi all! I have a looper pedal (jamMan Stereo) with a multi effects pedal running into my Ampeg VT-60 tube amp. The loops tend to sound pretty muddled though when all going through my amp. Is this muddling because of my amp/equipment, or how I have it set up? I also want to incorporate some bass simulation by not sure that will sound any better either...

Not sure if I need a better amp? Also looking at possibility of Zoom g3x and running it to a speaker...just not sure what kind (or if this will even be a goo idea.

I'm looking to spend about $800 total, and not gigging but want something that sounds decent.

Any thoughts?
If it's anything like any other ampeg tube guitar amp I tried it's not half bad of an amp.

My guess here would be that the problem only comes for the fact that you're layering lotsa sound - the moddyness would be helped by a better looper (not really anything that stays in a pedal if ya ask me) but there's not THAT much you can do about it.

You could try putting the looper at the end of the fx loop but I see no other way of making the thing sound clearer apart from getting something else to work as a looper.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Thanks. Yeah, it's a decent amp...have had it for many years and I really dig it...just didn't know if there was anything better for looping.

I didn't think the JamMan was a poor looper but know it's not top of the line. Would a boomerang do any better in regards to this do you know?
Check out the Boss Loopstations. My RC-300 maintains its clarity. That is, IF, you're looking for a new looper.
The jamMan isn't really a poor looper.

Thing is, it has two channels and you probably mostly use one, and that's the big problem.
Then again, better A/D converters would help but you're unlikely to find good A/D converters in a guitar pedal, so yeah, the RC300 would be a step up if ya ask me, both because of the more channels and because of the convenience of operation.

Though if you were to buy something else, I'd suggest that or a EHX2880/4500.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Yeah, I mainly bought my loopstation due to convenience of operation. Hell, the effects on it aren't too bad either. Not that I got it for that, though.

Edit- The only problem I've had with it is the loop time/duration. The first loop you do, sets the duration for the rest of the loops/tracks. In other words, let's say you do 4 bars of whatever on track 1...you can only loop a new track for 4 bars before it automatically loops that track(track 2)...I've messed around with all of the settings but, can't find a solution...it could just be me though. If I knew it would do that, I wouldn't have spent so much money on it and would've just settled with a Ditto.
Last edited by Dimarzio45 at Mar 15, 2014,
How about getting an A/B/Y converter and running 2 channels to 2 different amps (hence getting a new amp possibly). This way I could loop thru one and play through the other? Or multiple loops on separate amps.

Thoughts?
It depends...do you think it's necessary to have 2 amps? Can't you just jam over what is looping on the single amp?
Well, I haven't, but I also want to take advantage of the stereo feature of the JamMan as well.
I'd say go for a second amp then, if that's what you desire. Problem is, you still won't be getting around the muddiness issue unless it's the amp that you are currently working with. So, it's up in the air. A new amp could possibly solve the issue, or not. A new looper could also solve that issue.

How is the looper hooked up through the amp?

Edit- If a new amp solves the muddiness problem, you'll just have to avoid using the Ampeg for the looping part.
Last edited by Dimarzio45 at Mar 16, 2014,
Also, it all depends on what you really want. Do you feel it's that important to purchase a new amp just to have a stereo effect? Is it possible that you could invest the money towards another piece of gear that you might benefit from MORE?
Quote by Dimarzio45
Problem is, you still won't be getting around the muddiness issue unless it's the amp that you are currently working with..
The problem here is most likely the fact that layering sounds one over the other reduces clarity.
Getting an ABY plus another amp would make the sound about twice as clear, though unless you already wanted another amp for some reason I'd either get a bigger looper pedal or a couple (or 4 or more if you need them) JamMan express XT.
They're stereo and you can sync them up so you have all of the channels you want and all of the flexibility you want and so on.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by Spambot_2
The problem here is most likely the fact that layering sounds one over the other reduces clarity.
Getting an ABY plus another amp would make the sound about twice as clear, though unless you already wanted another amp for some reason I'd either get a bigger looper pedal or a couple (or 4 or more if you need them) JamMan express XT.
They're stereo and you can sync them up so you have all of the channels you want and all of the flexibility you want and so on.

Yeah, I've never noticed a reduction in clarity with my Boss looper(at least nothing very drastic)...even with 3 tracks with an overdub on each track (basically making it 6 tracks)...has this been a common issue with the Jam Man?
Last edited by Dimarzio45 at Mar 16, 2014,
Well, being the idiot that I apparently am, I just didn't have the loop level up high enough...that helped immensely with the layered loops Added on top. D'oh.

Still going to get the new amp for stereo effect. Will eventually get a 2nd guitar for my son when he's old enough to play in a few years, so would be a purchase I'd be making anyway