I am going to do my first fret level and re crown I would like some advise from people with some experience .
The guitar i am working on is about 10 years old never had a fret level as far as i know.
First off i will mask tape the fret board up and taking pick ups out, then truss rod adjustment to level the neck -- I will be using a permanent ink marker to mark the tops of the fret then with the leveling file go up and down the neck in a even formation until the ink has gone, i understand taking only as much off as need to level is all i need to do , The fret level has a choice of using 400 grit or 600 grit what do you guys recommend using first or one over the other ? and also if all the marker pen comes off and there are still some dings in the fret do i keep re marking all the frets and leveling until the dings are gone ? I would also like to know of other people that have tried fret leveling for the first time and there own out come ?
Last edited by dazzzer30 at Mar 15, 2014,
instead of taking out the pickups, just put masking tape over the pickups and the space between the pickups and pickup rings/pickguard.

I would suggest the 600 since it will take more time to remove material and therefore less prone to screwing up.
I did my first a few months ago on a Warmoth (6100 nickel frets/compound radius) neck with great results. I read "Fret leveling yer tele.......101" from the Telecaster Forums as a guide. Basically the same steps you have outlined. Getting the neck flat is key. You don't need $400 jig to do it, but you do need at least a notched straight edge and some patience.

The tools I used were a 25.5" scale notched straight edge, 16" Fret leveler, 220 grit paper, offset diamond file, medium 3 corner file, assorted grit sand paper up to steel wool and stewmac fret erasers for final polishing. Keep the neck cradled from underneath to prevent deflection as you work (bags of dried rice or opened phone books work great). Although I started with the diamond offset file for crowning, the drawback of all those concave files is the set shape. Ultimately I found the 3 corner file the cheaper yet superior tool. Use the same "sharpie marker method" for crowning leaving a thin strip on top.

and also if all the marker pen comes off and there are still some dings in the fret do i keep re marking all the frets and leveling until the dings are gone

You have to assess how deep the "ding" is. Your frets shouldn't have dings just normal wear which really aren't that deep. A fret level shouldn't have to take off more material than the thickness of a sheet of paper or less under normal circumstances.
I have one or two questions that might help me along the way this might not happen but I really want to be ready for what could happen.
one example with all the frets marked with ink to start with and after sanding lets say 3 frets have ink left on but all the other frets are mark free this would suggest them 3 frets where or still are lower than all them other frets, now do i mark all the other frets up again and sand down until all the other frets get lower and ink on all them frets are gone, or do i stop and say well its closer than before - I guess what i am thinking is it worth lowering all them other frets for the sake of them 3 frets that had ink left on and where lower ?

My next question is about re crowning I was looking on ebay uk I noticed a few tools but I went with the "Mini Diamond Fret Crowning File - 35mm by 2.5mm concave profile file" It has a grove in the middle to fit the fret in , I was thinking this might be good for my first re crown the only thing I don't know is if it will do medium Jumbo frets as they only had one size don't know if anyone has this crown tool or could tell me if it will fit and how good it is for a newbie or is they anything better ?
Last edited by dazzzer30 at Mar 16, 2014,
Quote by dazzzer30
I have one or two questions that might help me along the way this might not happen but I really want to be ready for what could happen.
one example with all the frets marked with ink to start with and after sanding lets say 3 frets have ink left on but all the other frets are mark free this would suggest them 3 frets where or still are lower than all them other frets, now do i mark all the other frets up again and sand down until all the other frets get lower and ink on all them frets are gone, or do i stop and say well its closer than before - I guess what i am thinking is it worth lowering all them other frets for the sake of them 3 frets that had ink left on and where lower ?

My next question is about re crowning I was looking on ebay uk I noticed a few tools but I went with the "Mini Diamond Fret Crowning File - 35mm by 2.5mm concave profile file" It has a grove in the middle to fit the fret in , I was thinking this might be good for my first re crown the only thing I don't know is if it will do medium Jumbo frets as they only had one size don't know if anyone has this crown tool or could tell me if it will fit and how good it is for a newbie or is they anything better ?

watch the link I posted and all of your questions will be answered, and he shows how to do it
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Mar 16, 2014,