I'm fairly new to playing bass and I find the active pickups I have to be quite noisy when anything is turned up fairly high. I'm currently running straight from my bass to my practice amp which has no effects loop. However I'm thinking ahead as I don't want to buy the regulator Decimator only to replace it in a few months when I add pedals or upgrade amp etc.

Can I set the G String to work so it's just in between my bass and amp like the regular Decimator? For example:

Bass >> Guitar In
Dec Out >> Dec In
Guitar Out >> Amp

Would that work?
the bog standard decimator might be fine for bass. unless you're running tons of dirt from the amp (which is fairly unlikely on bass) i reckon being in front would be ok. Or you could even put the regular decimator in the loop.

EDIT: it's also worth pointing out that the g-string normally costs almost as much as two decimators. even if you did have to buy 2 decimators down the line it likely wouldn't be the end of the world, unless you need to save as much pedalboard real estate (and power supply cables) as possible.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Mar 15, 2014,
Can't it be used so that it can quieten noisy pickups/pedals.. then go in to the effects loops of an amp to quieten excess noise from that as well? Hence my question about the set up above.

If so then the standard Decimator is £109 and the G String is £169 so I'd rather spend the extra £60 now if it means saving me £50 later down the line.
I think so, but don't quote me on that.

IME in the loop the bog standard decimator kills both types of noise. EDIT: that's for guitar, not bass. I've only tried it in front of a bass amp.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Hmm.. I see.

So how about noise like, for example, if you have your hand on the strings and move your hand away they all play very quietly or string noise when you move up and down the neck quickly. Or am I just barking up the wrong tree entirely?
Probably will help a bit. But you might be better asking this stuff in the bass forum, I'm a guitar player who's taken up bass very recently.

The annoying thing I found about the decimator with bass was that, since it only really cuts noise when you're not playing, it's nearly more obvious with the decimator than without, because you have no noise when you're not playing, then all of a sudden all the hiss comes in when you do play, which to me was nearly more annoying and noticeable than having noise all the time.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?