Hey there. Just wondering if I got a good deal on this fender blues deluxe. I paid $350 for it but it kinda crackles a little bit. Previous owner said the tubes probably need to be changed. You think its a good deal for this amp? Also there was something I heard about reducing "tweed disease". Is this common in amps like mine? Is there a way to cure it?
Well if the only problem is the tubes in need of substitution, that was a nice deal.

Anyway, about the tweed disease...
1. the condition of an amp being noisy due to a circuit board that has become conductive
2. the uncontrolable need to buy all tweed amps one encounters because they're so cool & we're so weak...

I guess we're talking about the first one.
To solve that you gotta change the PCB.
Unless you can find a blues deluxe PCB and transfer the components, you're stuck with the noise, so that means if the thing happens, you're more or less ****ed.

Though why would you think something like that happened to your amp?
Because you know, lotsa amps are noisy, and lotsa cables and lotsa guitars and lotsa pedals are noisy as well, so you gotta live with a bit of noise in any case.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Last edited by Spambot_2 at Mar 15, 2014,
I would say first switch out the phase inverter tube, when they get old, they start to crackle.
My Gear:
Fender Classic 50s Strat
Gibson Les Paul Studio
1977 Marshall JMP 2104
1995 Marshall 1959SLP
Silvertone 1481
Yamaha RA-200
Also can anyone recommend a good starting point for DIY fixes for tube amps?
Google and forums.
I don't know of any places in which you find FAQs about fixing particular amps' problems.

Also, see that edit button in the lower right corner of any message you posted?
It's preferable to use that than to post 3 messages in a row.
And wait at least a day before writing something like "anybody?", not every member of this forum come here every four hours.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Last edited by Spambot_2 at Mar 16, 2014,
Sorry. I get a little impatient sometimes. After extensive research I found by tapping my power tubes that the amp crackles. So I'm giong to replace those. I was afraid I had bought an amp with a faulty circuit board at first. But the thing is great. I lowered the guy down to $320 so overall I am happy with the purchase. I might get the Fromel mod aswell as all the reviews I have read about it are excellent.
If you don't know your way around a Digital Multi-meter or do not have much experience with electronics repair, this is a job for a pro IMO. Tube amp capacitors kill... right now. There are lots of how-to vids and amp repair pages and some are useful, some are not. Any that suggest you should rewire the whole amp onto a new tag board due to amp crackle are less interesting to me.

I do a lot of electronics repair in my day job but rarely on tube amps. They are very reliable. The simplest repair that addresses a known and tested problem is always the best.

RE: The above youtube info, I think that is a longshot to fix the crackle problem. 95% of the crackle is cold solder joints, old tubes, tube sockets, or aging caps.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY