Page 1 of 2
If I have to hear a clip of swords clanging and clashing one more fukking time I'm going to quit Metal forever. It ruins average songs and turns good songs into a momentary groan fest. Your fukking riffs should sound like clanging swords, don't give me some B grade History channel sound bite of nerds hitting 440 steel against each other.

If I have to hear another Slaughter of the Soul (the song) copy cat I'm going to quit Metal forever.

If I have to hear another completely out of the blue female vocals in the style of "Look at how much air I can force out of my lungs" in my ugly corpse music, I'm going to fukking off myself.

Blastbeats. Why the fukk am I constantly hearing blastbeats when a solid beat underneath those bad ass riffs would do just fine? I love blastbeats when they are properly placed, but they lose any meaning when you put your drummer on autopilot and just blasterbaite to the point impotence.

Clips of screaming woman.

Filler ambient tracks. If you're not Beherit you probably shouldn't be flirting with the idea of ambient "atmosphere" tracks in your riff filled album anyways. You will never be Summerlands.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,
I’m not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural

It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
****ing guitars, it's all distortion this, tremolo picking that, power chords the other. Give it a break guys, there are more instruments out there. Like the harp. Such a pleasant sounding instrument. Or a tuba perhaps.
Quote by VampireGoldfish
If I have to hear a clip of swords clanging and clashing one more fukking time I'm going to quit Metal forever. It ruins average songs and turns good songs into a momentary groan fest. Your fukking riffs should sound like clanging swords, don't give me some B grade History channel sound bite of nerds hitting 440 steel against each other.

If I have to hear another Slaughter of the Soul (the song) copy cat I'm going to quit Metal forever.

If I have to hear another completely out of the blue female vocals in the style of "Look at how much air I can force out of my lungs" in my ugly corpse music, I'm going to fukking off myself.

Blastbeats. Why the fukk am I constantly hearing blastbeats when a solid beat underneath those bad ass riffs would do just fine? I love blastbeats when they are properly placed, but they lose any meaning when you put your drummer on autopilot and just blasterbaite to the point impotence.

Clips of screaming woman.

Filler ambient tracks. If you're not Beherit you probably shouldn't be flirting with the idea of ambient "atmosphere" tracks in your riff filled album anyways. You will never be Summerlands.

I completely agree man. I am so sick of sound clips. Another thing I want to add are the god damn horses. Who cares if you masturbait to horses and play WOW all day. Real metal doesn't require sound clips... especially not sound clips of fvkking horses... or horses fvkking... whatever.

Quote by Stranglehold
He swallowed black nail polish and shat the word 'motherfucker' onto a non-metal kid. Rad.

Quote by severed-metal
You can dress a woman slutty, but she's not a slut. Understand?

living inside a drop only to die in an ocean
Pathetic old thrash bands with a 'comeback' album, and every one of them sounds the exact same. Awful overprocessed crap played by fat old lads with trucker hats.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
soundclips of interviews with serial killers/insane asylum patients or old horror movie clips.

I love Dragged into sunlight and Electric Wizard, but that shit can ruin the atmosphere of the song.
Albums I Must Obtain
Call me Paul. I prefer that.
Quote by fretsonfire74
I think you're my soulmate
Was about to say, you better not be talking about Streetcleaner.

I didn't hear voices. It was a conscious decision on my part. Didn't hear voices. It was a power thing. Power thing.

As for metal tropes : power metal bands that lube themselves up for band pictures. Also bands who do black white grainy photos for album covers who aren't Darkthrone.
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
Quote by Stranglehold
Pathetic old thrash bands with a 'comeback' album, and every one of them sounds the exact same. Awful overprocessed crap played by fat old lads with trucker hats.

These thrash albums all sound like boring rehashed riffs given to a producer who is most famous for work with Linkin Park, Papa Roach, etc.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Tempo of the Damned, Lurking Fear, and Gabriel were all great comebacks. I didn't personally care much for the new Heathen or Artillery albums, but I wouldn't call those comeback-samey either.
Quote by AnnihiSlateR
****ing guitars, it's all distortion this, tremolo picking that, power chords the other. Give it a break guys, there are more instruments out there. Like the harp. Such a pleasant sounding instrument. Or a tuba perhaps.

The french horn in the beginning of Stressed Elephant by Bison BC is so awesome, and the sax scattered across Cephalic Carnage's Misled By Certainty is killer, Repangaea makes me blow loads.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
Quote by technicolour
*click click* of a gun

This reminds me how somewhere between the demo and Altars of Madness, some gunfire was added to a perfectly good song that didn't need it. And somehow Altars of Madness still remains one of the best albums ever.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Those horrible screamy vocals. Why not channel some Jeff Mangum?
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Mandatory black and death metal intros. Especially in black metal. I think this kind a touches the ambient track case of the thread starter. Anyways....

If you do not know what to do just go straight into the business. Don't leave a turd in a form of keyboard wankery to the start of the record just to amuse neckbeards of how creative you are.
Last edited by Ozzy87_2 at Mar 16, 2014,
I think there needs to be a psychologist who studies the mental state of music fans... specifically metal. I know a guy who clearly has a hard time with music. He likes heavy riffs and all of that jazz... but when exposed to something that is absolutely, clearly horrible... he likes it anyways. For whatever reason he always has an excuse as to why he still hangs on to his love for the new Mastodon album. When presented music that is clearly awesome and he knows this... such as old Sepultura or Katharsis... and so on and so forth... he has the same droned look on his face with the same responses over and over "man dats cool and everythang... but like seriously... that new Mastodon album... fvkking brutal... you gotta hear the one about the octopus and no friends.. that drum sound"

I am baffled by this behavior.

Quote by Stranglehold
He swallowed black nail polish and shat the word 'motherfucker' onto a non-metal kid. Rad.

Quote by severed-metal
You can dress a woman slutty, but she's not a slut. Understand?

living inside a drop only to die in an ocean
Quote by Ozzy87_2

If you do not know what to do just go straight into the business. Don't leave a turd in a form of keyboard wankery to the start of the record just to amuse neckbeards of how creative you are.

But what if it complements the following tracks?
lstfm

I'm a Nazi, baby
I'm a Nazi, yes I am
I'm a Nazi schatzi, you know I'll fight for the Fatherland
Quote by pbiggie
soundclips of interviews with serial killers/insane asylum patients or old horror movie clips.

I love Dragged into sunlight and Electric Wizard, but that shit can ruin the atmosphere of the song.

hey

I love that shit

not just those kind of soundclips, but all soundclips in general. something about them is just, like, the bomb yo

Quote by progbass
lets slow it down and play some indie chords

hang yourself.

banned
Last edited by deadsmileyface at Mar 17, 2014,
Quote by Metal_Head1
I've been meaning to compile a list of metal songs that feature bells or air raid sirens.

I actually decided to make an 8 track mix of metal using bells. Only got 5 or 6 tracks. Are there any you can think of?
An obvious one I overlooked.

So far I've got tracks from The Chasm, Drukdh, Hate Forest, While Heaven Wept, Scald, and Dark Forest (though it's more a sample at the end rather than used compositionally so I'm hesitant to count it)
Some Summoning tracks from Dol Guldor have bells.

Swedish bands and HM2s...I mean what gives?
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
One Rode to Asa Bay has bells, mid way through the song IIRC.
Quote by NotFromANUS
"Don't brutal your sister, Timmy!"

last.fm
Bells can work really well. Tales of Medusa's The Gates to Tartarus is a perfect example.
Quote by AnnihiSlateR
An obvious one I overlooked.

So far I've got tracks from The Chasm, Drukdh, Hate Forest, While Heaven Wept, Scald, and Dark Forest (though it's more a sample at the end rather than used compositionally so I'm hesitant to count it)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqeMI4cx5J0

Another fine example.
how are we talking about songs with bells and no one has mentioned Black Sabbath? first one that came to my mind
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
Quote by romencer17
how are we talking about songs with bells and no one has mentioned Black Sabbath? first one that came to my mind

Goddamnit, now I feel stupid.

I just listened to Pagan Moon by Beherit and that has bells in too, which I'd completely forgotten.
Page 1 of 2