I'm currently using a Fender Mustang II and I want something with a bit more versatility in sound as well as something louder. I'm currently interested in the Randall RX120RH and RX412 half stack. I play music from Metallica, megadeth, and death to yngwie and Friedman to sabbath and maiden. I'm trying to keep it under $800 or so. Does anybody have suggestions on something better?
I did a charity benefit a few weeks ago where I lent them my JCM900 combo and another guy lent them an RX halfstack. Everybody fought over my combo because it sounded so much better. Now admitedly, my JCM900 isn't stock but still .......... you can do a lot better with that money.
Look at Jet City.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Both good suggestions. JCM 900s and DSLs can be had fairly cheap, as can Jet City, Peavey VTMs, Peavey JSXs, and peavey ultras.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Vyper Tube wouldn't be a bad choice either. Really, with that sort of money there are heaps of options. You might even score a Mesa Mark III for that in the US.

If this is near you, I'd keep my eye on it:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Marshall-JCM-800-Guitar-Amp-2204-50-WATT-Master-Lead-Mk-2-Half-Stack-No-Rez-/301121785895?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item461c41d027

Not the most versatile of amps but I think you'd like it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Mar 16, 2014,
If your budget were only few hundred the RX halfstack will do, thats what its worth at best. But for 800$ you can do so much more. The 50w jet city halfstack, a used jcm900 (preferably sl-x or mkiii) or jcm2000 dsl plus some decent used cab, one of the new Randall diavlo combos. For solid states the new randall rg destroys the rx serie.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Mar 16, 2014,
^It's worth nothing that (I think) the JCM900 MkIII is basically a JCM800 2204 with some clipping diodes (thats not a good thing) for extra gain. I just bought one myself. Cathbard will chime in on this, he knows more than me, so you might wanna wait on him to double check this. You can remove the diodes fairly easily and have a nice head. They can be found fairly cheap to.
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Quote by classicrocker01
^It's worth nothing that (I think) the JCM900 MkIII is basically a JCM800 2204 with some clipping diodes (thats not a good thing) for extra gain. I just bought one myself. Cathbard will chime in on this, he knows more than me, so you might wanna wait on him to double check this. You can remove the diodes fairly easily and have a nice head. They can be found fairly cheap to.

Yeah, but unless i am mistaken you can turn them off in mkiii, right? I wouldnt dismiss diode clipping automatically though just for being diode clipper. Its all about how its implemented. Usually we use tubescreamer anyway which adds little bit of diode clipping even when gain is knob is all the way off.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Mar 16, 2014,
^I dont think so, but this thing is still new to me, so I'm still figuring it out. The 900s were known for the clipping not being too nice. At any rate, its a nice sounding rig for what TS wants. Really needs some bass focused speakers. I ran it through my V30 cab and it was a little thin, but very juicy though the G12K100s in my Mode Four cab
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Quote by MaaZeus
Yeah, but unless i am mistaken you can turn them off in mkiii, right? I wouldnt dismiss diode clipping automatically though just for being diode clipper. Its all about how its implemented. Usually we use tubescreamer anyway which adds little bit of diode clipping even when gain is knob is all the way off.
The clipping circuit in the MkIII and channel two of the Dual Reverb are the same abortionary fuzz box circuit as in the much maligned two channel JCM800. It actually reduces the amount of signal that can be pumped into the next tube in the chain. All it does is replace tube distortion with SS distortion. It is a really bad piece of circuit design.
Channel 1 of the Dual Reverb bears some resemblance to a tubescreamer but the others do not. They are an assymetrical fuzz box circuit, and not a very good one.
Removing the clipper from a Mk3 and sticking an actual tubescreamer in front of it is a massive improvement. It's not just that it's SS clipping - it's bad SS clipping.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Mar 16, 2014,
Quote by Cathbard
The clipping circuit in the MkIII and channel two of the Dual Reverb are the same abortionary fuzz box circuit as in the much maligned two channel JCM800. It actually reduces the amount of signal that can be pumped into the next tube in the chain. All it does is replace tube distortion with SS distortion. It is a really bad piece of circuit design.
Channel 1 of the Dual Reverb bears some resemblance to a tubescreamer but the others do not. They are an assymetrical fuzz box circuit, and not a very good one.
Removing the clipper from a Mk3 and sticking an actual tubescreamer in front of it is a massive improvement. It's not just that it's SS clipping - it's bad SS clipping.

Thanks. I was under impression that the dual reverb was the only one with the shitty fuzzbox in front built inside.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
^It's not quite as bad as I remember the DR being, but not great by any means.

EDIT: Just a bit of an update. I removed the diodes from my MKIII today, and it helped tremendously. Gave it a bit more growl, and removed some fizzyness. The difference in gain is almost unnoticeable.
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Last edited by classicrocker01 at Mar 16, 2014,
It's the same with channel 2 on the DR. If you choose the right resistor to replace the bridge you actually get more gain (both in real terms and in guitarist slang). I use a 100K one and that gives you pretty close to the same (actually a little more) distortion than the bridge/diode clipper does.
It's friggin absurd.
Removing the same clipper from a 2210 also fixes them but you actually have to do a bit more to make the gain knob actually do what it's supposed to. The 900 Dual Reverb has more bullshit going on (20 op-amps) but at least it's easier to modify. The 2210 was an abortion.
What you've got now that you've removed the clipper from the MkIII is essentially a 2204 with two op-amp driven Master Volumes and an FX loop. Those op-amps don't hurt anything though because of where they live and what they do.

Now stick a clean boost in front of it and see what it does, you're gonna love it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification