Page 1 of 2
Don't get me wrong, I have a lot of respect for independent musicians, but they all sound the same: simple, repetitive chord progression, enough delay to make The Edge cry, high-pitched male vocals, "ironic" (or nonsensical, based on how sane you are) lyrics, etc.

Every time is see some underground band, they fit this exact formula.

I find their lack of originality... disturbing.

http://
no but can we talk about how awful folk pop is?

meh.

you'll look back at this thing, and you'll say... meh.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
I hate how 90% of Indie singers obviously try to add in unnatural low end/low mids to their voice like it makes them sound more manly or something. Eh. Most are just flavor of the week music anyway. music with no replay value.

I kid!...
I'll tell you what's truly annoying: arrogant kids acting like they're the dog's bollocks because they listen to Joy Division and dismiss anything other than "indie rock" as music for inferior human beings. That's annoying.

That being said, I love the "indie sound" you're talking about.
Nope I quite fancy it. Though the only "indie" band I listen to frequently is minus the bear.
I only came here to post the video with Super Quest.

The TS delivered in spades, I tell you! SPADES!!!
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
man, I'm so sad I made this thread now after seeing those shake shack burgers. I would buy an extra just to fuck it while I eat its siblings. then i'd eat that one too.

I am so sorry for my mother's "escapades"...
You dislike a certain style of music?!?!?!?!?

How dare you have an opinion that is different from the opinion of others!
Meh. Not my favorite kind of music.

That tends to happen when you don't love it in the first place and then have a roommate for two years who fancies himself an indie/scene/folk rock singer.

But it must be a good genre since it's still pretty successful.
you mean simple chord progression and guitar parts that 2 year-olds can play (just like 2 year-olds, over and over) then just layering instruments playing the same thing over each other so you can't hear when the "musicians" screw up all while the singer goes out of his way to be sub-par, I've been tired of it since I heard it, also you shouldn't complain about indie rock while British people could be online, that's been their schtick since the craptastophy that was Oasis existed
indie music is just pop for hipsters.... and just like pop, there will be some good in a giant pile of crap.... which is suspiciously similar to music in general

WOW
Quote by cheesefries
I hate how 90% of Indie singers obviously try to add in unnatural low end/low mids to their voice like it makes them sound more manly or something.

Huh? Example?
ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
Anyone else starting to get annoyed with how whiny TS sounds?

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
Anyone else starting to get annoyed with how whiny TS sounds?

Don't get me wrong, I have a lot of respect for TS, but he sounds the same: simple, repetitive winging, enough complaining to make Kanye West cry, high-pitched male vocals, "idiotic" (or stupid, based on how sane you are) opinions, etc.

Every time I see some unknown TS, they fit this exact formula.

I find his lack of tolerance... disturbing.
I don't mind the instruments and shit, but I absolutely loathe the breathy "i'm not gonna try to be good" vocals. Like, that new viral video with teh strangers kissing. The singin in that is just the absolute worst ever
PM me for newts
There's a couple good bands (the Neighbourhood is swag) but for the most part they suck so hard
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
Quote by Bad Kharmel
you mean simple chord progression and guitar parts that 2 year-olds can play (just like 2 year-olds, over and over) then just layering instruments playing the same thing over each other so you can't hear when the "musicians" screw up all while the singer goes out of his way to be sub-par, I've been tired of it since I heard it, also you shouldn't complain about indie rock while British people could be online, that's been their schtick since the craptastophy that was Oasis existed

but when oasis existed our shtick was jungle and garage

uk been ahead of the curve from day
I totally know what you mean, TS.

Speaking of which, what's up with those progressive metal bands and those weird time signatures? Stop trying to show off with your weird timing.

And Rage Against the Machine? All they talk about is '**** the establishment' or whatever I haven't actually listened to them ever.

And those electronic bands, like Chvrches! FAR too digital sounding if you ask me.
========

Look, Indie is a genre of music and like any genre, bands in that genre will sound similar. Surely you understand this?
"I remember when my parents told my brother he was adopted. I was a little confused myself, but it did explain why he's black."
You know, I once bitched about music that didn't match my tastes... Guess what I did? I have this trick that is absolutely amazing! I stopped... and here's the fun part... listening to it! Wow :O I try to repeat.

I don't listen to music I don't like. Sometimes you hear music you don't like and that's just how it is. But really, let people listen to what they want and listen to what you want. I know it's difficult not to express your thoughts about everything, you don't like, all the time, but give it a try maybe you'll like it.

tl;dr. Stop whining and listen to your music
LOOK!

At the post above this signature

Quote by Floods_Solo
Lol. If insomniac's were called something less cool like "cock lords" or something I bet there would be significantly less people claiming to be it.
Quote by Snake™
There's a couple good bands (the Neighbourhood is swag) but for the most part they suck so hard

Their first EP was good, album was kinda disappointing for me though.

TS is incorrect though, and sounds kind of ignorant. Mainly 'cause what he's describing is a small selection of bands in a much larger scene.

I mean, woo, he hates Little Comets, but there is so much more to indie than that.
If I got this right then TS isn't bitching about indie-music in general (he'd be an idiot if he did)
When it comes to the whole style>substance thing then i wholeheartedly agree that this is one of the biggest issues with music today.

also.. i reeeallly dislike entitlement in fans of any genre. You know that band/artist that many people consider good but you insist on claiming that they have no talent because you're obviously capable of making a much more well informed statement?

yeah.. no, you're wrong
Quote by Telecaster7
Oh dear, current affairs...
I've always found the indie rock/pop sound to be annoying and lame, but a solution is to just not listen to it.
I have nothing important to say
Quote by MetalMullet
Is Mars Volta indie?

They're independent (at least I'm pretty sure they are) but they aren't what would be considered indie rock in terms of sound.
ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
The instrumental section I often find decent, not with all of them at least but some guys use some neat chords.

But the singing: whole "shy senstive guy who sings soft" style or the "spontaneous pitched garage-band-esqe wailing" style both get on my nerves on a new level, not to mention usually take no actual singing talent whatsoever to pull off.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
The instrumental section I often find decent, not with all of them at least but some guys use some neat chords.

But the singing: whole "shy senstive guy who sings soft" style or the "spontaneous pitched garage-band-esqe wailing" style both get on my nerves on a new level, not to mention usually take no actual singing talent whatsoever to pull off.

el o el

The use of Xylophone, triangle and cutesy, innocent instruments like that is too damn high in this genre.
Page 1 of 2