^ If he likes the distortion apart from that, that's a good call. the JB sounds like a toned-down distortion, really (and I've heard some rumours that its wind is actually pretty similar, just the different magnet, but that could well be internet BS).

dimarzio tone zone is the one that really kills top end fizz, but it can be very dark and is something of a sledgehammer to crush a walnut type of solution. but it might work if you really hate fizz etc.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Cool I'll check those out thanks guys, I'm kind of missing having the tone knob on this guitar.
Last edited by tpcjames111 at Mar 16, 2014,
ah yeah that won't help.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If you can afford to shell out a bit more cash, take a look at the Tom Anderson H2/H3 or Suhr DSH+. I read the DSH+ is like a JB but with more clarity. The Tom Anderson pickups i reckon are similar to the Schecter SuperRock pickups which I happen to have in my Japanese Schecter. They are loud and powerful with quarter pound sized magnets, harmonically rich and can be easily split for that classic fender tone, I love it.
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ If he likes the distortion apart from that, that's a good call. the JB sounds like a toned-down distortion, really (and I've heard some rumours that its wind is actually pretty similar, just the different magnet, but that could well be internet BS).

dimarzio tone zone is the one that really kills top end fizz, but it can be very dark and is something of a sledgehammer to crush a walnut type of solution. but it might work if you really hate fizz etc.

+1 to all of this.

FWIW, I'm having the same exact problem with my Distortion in my RG520. It is really surprisingly not at all what I was expecting based on what I've read about it. Really a disappointing pickup for me, hahaha. Very bright.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Mar 17, 2014,
Definetly Dimarzio ToneZone, its a great pickup. It is on the darker/warmer side but it does not choke your treble (its still there, with a nice "bounce". Cocked wah thing going on I guess?) and it does not sound muddy at all in the low end IMHO. Atleast in my basswood LTD it does not.

If you are desperate you might also check out SD Invader which is quite fat and muddy.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Mar 17, 2014,
Quote by MaaZeus

If you are desperate you might also check out SD Invader which is quite fat and muddy.

Nobody's ever that desperate.

And I say that as someone who actually owns an Invader (sitting where it belongs, buried in a drawer somewhere).
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
^
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I like my JB as well. Sounds great but I still EQ out the top fizz with an EQ pedal with my 5150. I paid less for my MXR 10 band used than I did for a set of JB/Jazz used fwiw.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .