Poll Options
View poll results: I prefer the:
White finish
49 56%
Natural finish
39 44%
Voters: 88.
Page 1 of 2
I own the stock white Ibanez RG7421. I'm considering getting it sanded down and oiled for a natural finish. Which looks best?

or

Thanks in advance - I'm really struggling with this decision.
RIP Tom Searle.
Last edited by MH400 at Mar 16, 2014,
You should remove the white finish and then add a transparent stain finish thing in purple.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
^this guy gets it

Thrash you bloody ninja'd me
Last edited by Baby Joel at Mar 16, 2014,
Never a fan of Ibanez's like that (or any other strat-ish shaped guitar), but I always prefer a natural finish so voted that way.

Trouble is, you have no idea what the graining of the wood is like till you've finished sanding it down, and you need a nice grain pattern to make them look good.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Well it's made of Basswood which is maybe the dullest looking wood ever. If you want to be reminded you're playing a bedside table with strings on it, go for it
Quote by willT08
Well it's made of Basswood which is maybe the dullest looking wood ever. If you want to be reminded you're playing a bedside table with strings on it, go for it

This. I voted natural but only if you get a darker stain on it. Since it's going to be sanded down, why don't you just get a quilted maple veneer on it and then coat it? It will look so much nicer.
pinga
Quote by Philip_pepper
Can't you make that guitar half black and half white?

Or half natural and half white.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Natural finish is best finish.

Just look what happens to tits when they go from natural to fake.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
What Chuckles said
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

white looks the most like a macbook thol
Quote by willT08

paint a macbook on it so you can pretend you are making real music
Quote by Cb4rabid
Since it's going to be sanded down, why don't you just get a quilted maple veneer on it and then coat it? It will look so much nicer.

this
Hehehe, that even poll.

Natural, but only if the wood looks like in your op. if the grain is linear and numerous, I'd stay with white.

But I guess you can't know until you sand it.
Not sure if a sig is a necessity.
like the white better personally, don't dig natural finishes all too much (except for acoustic guitars). maybe you should you coat it in lime green like that dude from The Faceless:

huge picture alert:
Last edited by Dregen at Mar 16, 2014,
White. Basswood is such a boring-looking wood. I've got kitchen worktops that look better than basswood, and they're not even made from wood.

Get an EBMM JP7 or something.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Mar 16, 2014,
Quote by theogonia777
Or half natural and half white.

so white is not natural? omg racist
Why does that guitar have a string too many?
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
I would say white.

The thing to remember is that how nice the natural finish looks is going to depend greatly on the condition of the base wood. If it's a nasty color or has bad streaking/knots in it (common with Basswood and Poplar) then it is probably gonna look pretty gnarly - there's no amount of stain or oil that can fix that. Of course you could always glue on a veneer, but that is A LOT of work to do it right.

On the other hand, a base wood that has a nice color and nice grain would look beautiful with a stained or natural finish.

In the end it really depends on the wood - you won't know until you sand the finish off and look underneath.

You can make *anything* look nice, it just depends on how much time and money you want to sink into it to get it right.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Quote by Neo Evil11
Why does that guitar have a string too many?

It adds brootz.

Seriously though I found moving to a seven string to be like the proverbial "once you go black there's no going back."
Last edited by DardySon at Mar 16, 2014,
The wood won't look that nice after you strip it. It's made of basswood or alder, and probably has a thick, thick, sealer underneath the paint. It'll look ugly. I've stripped cheap guitars like that before, and it's not really worth the effort. Maybe paint it something else.
Quote by arcanom

You can't be racist against white people
ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
For basses, always use natural finishes. For guitars it varies, but this one looks 5000% better in natural.
Israel is a terrorist state.
you should refinish it in hot pink
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
Quote by arcanom

have you ever seen a basswood tree with a flat solid white finish

you're clearly discriminating against plants

also white finish is not natural for black people

just so you know

so you're racist and treeist
If it's not good looking wood, which it probably isn't, it won't look good unless you do more to it (put a veneer over it, stain it, etc.)
My God, it's full of stars!
Sand it.

but i've never thought those guitars are aesthetically pleasing in the first place. Natural finish would still look better.
Page 1 of 2