I don't know if this is relevant here in the Musician Talk but I was thinking of starting my own Youtube channel exclusively for my composition.

I just need advice if I should just post my compositions initially or I should garner interest first by doing covers?

What do you think is the wisest way to approach this?

By no means do I want instant fame or anything. I just want my songs to be heard even if it's just a few people.
Quote by gothblade
I don't know if this is relevant here in the Musician Talk but I was thinking of starting my own Youtube channel exclusively for my composition.

I just need advice if I should just post my compositions initially or I should garner interest first by doing covers?

By no means do I want instant fame or anything. I just want my songs to be heard even if it's just a few people.

One good way is to go on like SoundCloud and comment other people. Target people who make similar music you like and write them GOOD, detailed comments and chances are that 5 out of 10 will come and write you a comment back. No comments like "nice track, bro! check out mine" Suggestions for improvements and what you like about it, etc.

Mass following and selfish spamming is completely useless (follow 2000 random people). You will probably get some followers back, but those are just empty numbers.
Last edited by Elintasokas at Mar 16, 2014,
That would depend solely on your goals. What Elintasokas suggests is emotional blackmail, to elaborate: you dedicate time and effort and provide the person in question with your attention with the expectation of him returning the favor and indeed, many people will feel obliged to return the attention, regardless of whether they want to or not.

What you may not understand, however, is that people who put their work on public channels do not necessarily desire to be criticised or to criticise others, and you're essentially wasting the both of your times in an effort to get a single person who is inherently not interested in the work of other people to give you attention.

"C4C" works only in favor of those who desire criticism and seek areas of undiscovered improvement, if not, this attention is meaningless.
Quote by Vanhalaf
That would depend solely on your goals. What Elintasokas suggests is emotional blackmail, to elaborate: you dedicate time and effort and provide the person in question with your attention with the expectation of him returning the favor and indeed, many people will feel obliged to return the attention, regardless of whether they want to or not.

What you may not understand, however, is that people who put their work on public channels do not necessarily desire to be criticised or to criticise others, and you're essentially wasting the both of your times in an effort to get a single person who is inherently not interested in the work of other people to give you attention.

"C4C" works only in favor of those who desire criticism and seek areas of undiscovered improvement, if not, this attention is meaningless.

"Emotional blackmail" LOL. What a way to put it.

Everyone loves getting comments (and comments that are not just "nice!" are valued even more). That is why they have a soundcloud in the first place! A lot of people are also open for discussion, etc. If they don't want to be criticized/commented why do you think they even upload their tracks?

I'm just saying you should try to use SoundCloud as a community rather than a channel for spamming as much as possible. Try to make connections with people and will probably get regular listeners who also comment your tracks.

Spamming is pretty much effortless but it doesn't yield much results either.

But yeah, covers/remixes are a good idea as well, I think. As long as it's not something that has also been covered or remixed over 9000 times.
Quote by Elintasokas
"Emotional blackmail" LOL. What a way to put it.

Everyone loves getting comments (and comments that are not just "nice!" are valued even more). That is why they have a soundcloud in the first place! A lot of people are also open for discussion, etc. If they don't want to be criticized/commented why do you think they even upload their tracks?

I'm just saying you should try to use SoundCloud as a community rather than a channel for spamming as much as possible. Try to make connections with people and will probably get regular listeners who also comment your tracks.

Spamming is pretty much effortless but it doesn't yield much results either.

But yeah, covers/remixes are a good idea as well, I think. As long as it's not something that has also been covered or remixed over 9000 times.

With regard to emotional blackmail, when someone comments on your track and you can gauge that the effort and time expenditure is indeed noticeable, why it is that you feel a compulsion to have to reciprocate?

Would ignoring the individual make you feel worse? I assume it would. Call it what you will, it remains what it is: a social contract that requires the individual to respond to another with the breach of that contract followed by self-inflicted emotional injury, if you allow it.

With regard to commentary, no. Not everyone enjoys it, and not everyone has something meaningful to say, with most individuals- a useless expenditure of time, by my account. The reasoning of people behind those that upload content is unknown to me, as it is to you, unless properly elaborated by the individual in question- assuming he understands them, or if his motivations are either transparent or properly dissected.

Furthermore, if you claim that commentary and criticism is of such great importance, answer this: would you or would you not upload content if it was impossible for your potential audience to contact, criticize or even contact you? If it's no, I'd recommend you reconsider your motivation, or your participation in this activity.
Quote by Vanhalaf

Would ignoring the individual make you feel worse? I assume it would. Call it what you will, it remains what it is: a social contract that requires the individual to respond to another with the breach of that contract followed by self-inflicted emotional injury, if you allow it.

You're way overthinking the whole thing, man.

No, ignoring someone who commented on my track does not make me feel bad. There's no contract and I don't see why I would be obliged to comment back. Often people just reply "thank you" or something.

It's just ONE WAY to maybe get some people interested in you and your music without seeming like a spammer douchebag and actually contributing in the community somehow. It's a give and take situation, is that not a good thing?

What better alternatives do you suggest? Writing a message and spamming it to as many users as possible? Spam following 2000 people?

Now, I realize this won't get you like 5 million listeners immediately, but the TS said "even if it's just a few"
Quote by Vanhalaf

With regard to commentary, no. Not everyone enjoys it, and not everyone has something meaningful to say, with most individuals- a useless expenditure of time, by my account. The reasoning of people behind those that upload content is unknown to me, as it is to you, unless properly elaborated by the individual in question- assuming he understands them, or if his motivations are either transparent or properly dissected.

I suppose you're posting on this forum for undissectable reasons, and now feel emotionally blackmailed into responding? Writing on a forum is uploading content, for whatever motivations.
I suggest you get a life. Or at least go outside..
Last edited by innovine at Mar 16, 2014,
Quote by Elintasokas
You're way overthinking the whole thing, man.

No, ignoring someone who commented on my track does not make me feel bad. There's no contract and I don't see why I would be obliged to comment back. Often people just reply "thank you" or something.

It's just ONE WAY to maybe get some people interested in you and your music without seeming like a spammer douchebag and actually contributing in the community somehow. It's a give and take situation, is that not a good thing?

What better alternatives do you suggest? Writing a message and spamming it to as many users as possible? Spam following 2000 people?

Now, I realize this won't get you like 5 million listeners immediately, but the TS said "even if it's just a few"

I did not claim this is a bad method, I only seek to analyze. As I mentioned from start, everything solely depends on the goal of the individual, the method you advocate and utilize certainly has an evident outcome and may further your goals.

As with finding an audience, the internet seems to inflate the contribution of a single individual in an audience. On the song that I posted, I have 97 views as it stands, and that is certainly a very small amount as compared that what you will see with popular artists. However, to put it into perspective, 97 people is more than I have met and known personally in my entire life.
Burn your song to cd, stick it in a large boom box and and stand in a busy metro station. You'll get 5000+ 'listens' in no time at all.
If you want to promote your original music, I wouldn't upload covers.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by gothblade

do whatever you want, just start posting songs. do what makes you happy and what you are proud of. everything else is trivial.