So here we go guys, soon I maybe making my first MAJOR guitar purchase and I was having a think about it today as it's a big deal of money (That I won't have for almost a month) but I have decided after six years of playing to buy myself a guitar for life, as six years is a hell of a long time and I'm very fed up playing lower end to me guitars and I want something... Well.. Professional.

May possibly have up to 1,000 to spend but realistically I will have 750-850 (Depending on if I can sell some guitars) and I'm wanting something... Versatile as opposed to a eighty string Djent machine, but primarily I want something for mainly Power Metal, so Iced Earth, Helloween, Maiden esque stuff. But I'm also going back to College in September so I'm wanting something I can carry on the train (Public Transport, I wish I had y own personal carriage), but I'm mainly interested in pointy guitars, but open to most shapes.

I'm not wanting a Floyded guitar because of having to change to many possible tunings as I can, in case of having to transpose or whatever. Though I would like a seven string, that I can play. The only issue I have with spending a lot of money is going used (Mainly because I want something to commemorate six years of playing) and buying online as I can't try it out personally, though I'm pretty good judging if I will like a guitar or not.

Things that it needs to have, at least 25.5 scale length, Rosewood/Maple (Textually Ebony doesn't do it for me, so I can't play a JP ),Basswood or a mahogany body (But I'm easy on this one)

So guys, can you recommend anything?

I'm in Pounds not Dollars, so it's no use linking me to musicians Friend.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Don't get caught up in trying to buy a guitar "for life". There's not really such thing, you'll always have GAS for something or other. And your tastes and desires will change with time.

Also 750-850 NEW won't give you something "professional". Not in my personal opinion anyway. You can get some great, great Korean workhorse guitars that will last you a lifetime. But nothing on that American/Japanese tier. I highly suggest going used.

You want something pointy? How pointy? Just like a King V type deal? Or are you into Warrior/Warlock stuff?

On the top of my head, especially since you're across the pond, check out a used ESP V-II. If my memory is right, you should be able to get one of those used in your budget.

Otherwise we'll need some more info about what exactly you want.

Do you have a preference for neck curve/shape?

Any brand preference, color preference?

String through body or stopbar tailpiece preference?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Gibson SG standard used. Ibanez, pick the model you like. These are serious guitars that anyone with half-ass chops could play Madison Square Garden or Wembley Stadium with. A Les Paul Studio is certainly not a pointy-ass guitar but a tool that will also easily get the job done and is as Pro as they go for less than a boatload of quid.

Multiple tunings usually mean multiple guitars when you are gigging. While some come pretty close, there are no guitars that cover everything well IMO.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Mar 16, 2014,
Quote by Offworld92
(a) Don't get caught up in trying to buy a guitar "for life". There's not really such thing, you'll always have GAS for something or other. And your tastes and desires will change with time.

(b) Also 750-850 NEW won't give you something "professional". Not in my personal opinion anyway. You can get some great, great Korean workhorse guitars that will last you a lifetime. But nothing on that American/Japanese tier.

(a) agreed. Or at least, obviously aim to get the nicest guitar you can which you love, but don't obsess about it being the be-all, end-all. Even a perfect choice might not kill your GAS forever.

(b) You can if you know what you're doing and/or have a little bit of luck. Ibanez Prestiges are under that amount of money (new) most of the time, for example. Virtually all my guitars have been bought for that amount of money or less, and most of my guitars are either USA-, European- or Japanese-made. They were virtually all new (or at least new old stock), too, from shops.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Good point about sales and NOS and that sort of thing. definitely keep an eye out and check out stuff a little over budget.

Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Offworld92
Also 750-850 NEW won't give you something "professional". Not in my personal opinion anyway. You can get some great, great Korean workhorse guitars that will last you a lifetime. But nothing on that American/Japanese tier. I highly suggest going used.

Agreed. If you're patient and shop around, you can definitely score something nice in that price range. I just paid $400 for a Japanese Jackson SLSMG. Just got it 6 days ago but I've already gigged with it twice and have to say I couldn't be happier.