This is a question which has been on my mind a few time but I never knew who to ask.

So I come to you, Pit.

Surely someone here can give some ideas? Any tricks which work best to boost profits?
Offer a handjob to anyone that gives you money
Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽ WE ARE ROB ༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽
You need 3 things: Courage, talent, and a great location. We made up to $100/hr on some days with an acoustic duo playing songs everyone knows and loves.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by Cajundaddy
You need 3 things: Courage, talent, and a great location. We made up to $100/hr on some days with an acoustic duo playing songs everyone knows and loves.

I have two of those things, just gotta find the great location.

100 per hour? For real? Jesus Christ Marie.
Quote by Cajundaddy

I like how people count their individual experiences (which... how do I know that it is not exaggerated, mistaken, or entirely fabricated) as being the norm (particularly when talking about busking). It's like... Mick Jagger makes millions of dollars a year, so it can totally be done!
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
From my limited experience busking at a market with lots of foot traffic, I would make about €10 an hour.
I have some limited experience here. I used to do it on weekends and then later during that summer at a bar on their patio.

It really depended on the area, the foot traffic / people eating and if what you were playing matched what people in that area like (I was lucky and lived in a 'hick town' of sorts and they love classic rock. I never played country. I would have made more if I did. They love Kieth Urban down there )

Anywhere from $10/hour to $30/hour.

EDIT: Boost profits by figuring out what the area likes music wise. If Neil Young happens to be extremely popular there, you best know how to play Rockin in the Free World and The Needle and The Damage Done.

Also, be flashy with your guitar playing. Use dynamics so that when you kind of work up from just playing some chords at say, a medium velocity, and then switch to some harder strumming it looks like you're rocking the **** out. Most people won't know that you're not at all rocking out and just playing regularly.

If you have a choice between Dreadnought and Cutaway, go with the dread. The louder and fuller you sound is directly proportional to how talented the average person thinks you are.

Deep cuts. If you know the people in your area love Zeppelin, Stairway won't get you that far (although it'll get you somewhere). Pick Over the Hills and Far Away or Tangerine or Thank You. These people will have an eargasm because they used to love those songs but they forgot they existed. It's all about knowing the crowd though.
Last edited by mjones1992 at Mar 16, 2014,
Quote by Dirk Gently
If you're one of the world's greatest violinists playing the world's hardest pieces on one of the rarest violins in one of America's busiest metro stations...

About $40 an hour.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/04/AR2007040401721.html

Have you ever been to a metro station? Did you ever have the time or money to offer to a dude playing violin while you were there? If they wanted to hear Bell playing violin they would have saw him in concert the night before.
Israel is a terrorist state.
Anywhere between zero and 100 million dollars
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by JD Close
Have you ever been to a metro station? Did you ever have the time or money to offer to a dude playing violin while you were there? If they wanted to hear Bell playing violin they would have saw him in concert the night before.

Aye aye, Capt. Killjoy.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Philip_pepper
I have two of those things, just gotta find the great location.

100 per hour? For real? Jesus Christ Marie.

Busking is definitely not for everybody but we have had some successes over the years. Our best days:

*Newport Beach pier area on a very busy Saturday. The local bobbies wouldn't let us play on a park bench so some kind vacationers let us set up on their front patio right on the boardwalk next to a walk-up food window with a long line. Captive audience. Several people threw $20s into the case. A good day!

*San Diego Gaslamp district with perfect weather and SRO crowds. No $20s that day but a lot of $5s very quickly.

* La Jolla Shores near the lifeguard station. Perfect weather and a large college coed population appreciating the vibe. At one point we had 20 people sitting around and joining in with song. A few twentysomethings invited us to continue the party at their place, but wifey might not understand so we had to pass.

We don't do this all the time and it doesn't always go so well. It is a great way to test your material to see what attracts an audience. Like any gig, a good day is a good day so appreciate them when you get em. Having homeless guys trying to rob you and lousy weather sucks. Got courage and talent? Sing like birds? This can be done.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
The dude that sings that song "let her go" funded his albums doing it his band is called passenger and he is very well known now
your a wreck, an accident, forget the freak your just nature, keep the gun oiled and the temple clean, shit snort and blaspheme, let the heads cool and the engine run, because in the end everything we do is just everything we've done.
-corey taylor
The first question you need to ask yourself is "Do I suck ,though?"
Check out my band Disturbed
Just tune your guitar to CGCGGC and play some Ben Howard.
Dance in the moonlight my old friend twilight

Quote by metal4eva_22
What's this about ****ing corpses? My UG senses were tingling.
Quote by Cajundaddy
Busking is definitely not for everybody but we have had some successes over the years. Our best days:

*Newport Beach pier area on a very busy Saturday. The local bobbies wouldn't let us play on a park bench so some kind vacationers let us set up on their front patio right on the boardwalk next to a walk-up food window with a long line. Captive audience. Several people threw $20s into the case. A good day!

*San Diego Gaslamp district with perfect weather and SRO crowds. No $20s that day but a lot of $5s very quickly.

* La Jolla Shores near the lifeguard station. Perfect weather and a large college coed population appreciating the vibe. At one point we had 20 people sitting around and joining in with song. A few twentysomethings invited us to continue the party at their place, but wifey might not understand so we had to pass.

We don't do this all the time and it doesn't always go so well. It is a great way to test your material to see what attracts an audience. Like any gig, a good day is a good day so appreciate them when you get em. Having homeless guys trying to rob you and lousy weather sucks. Got courage and talent? Sing like birds? This can be done.

What kind of songs did you play? Did you have a rigid set list? Your own stuff? Did you look at the crowd and cherry picked songs that seemed to interest them?

Quote by StewieSwan
The first question you need to ask yourself is "Do I suck ,though?"

Nope. Played in a bar in January and this Scottish guy bought me a beer for my playing. Genuinely made my whole week.
I think you could make more money acting poor and having a good cardboard sign.

I've seen it done.
Quote by cheesefries
I think you could make more money acting poor and having a good cardboard sign.

I've seen it done.

If I did this in Spain, I'd just look like everyone else.
Quote by Jman09
The dude that sings that song "let her go" funded his albums doing it his band is called passenger and he is very well known now

Yea but Mike actually has talent.
Location and time are big factors. Obviously talent, song selection,etc. are vital but you will literaly make zero money in the wrong areas. First is a major city. Suburubs suck unless it's a main street in a heavey traffic or transport town. I live in the burbs but commuted by train to Chicago daily. Playing on trains is risky, 90% of the time they won't let you, espcially from 5-7PM. Now I don't know where you live, so I'm going to use Chi as my example but it works in every big city. Stay near streets with public transportation. Operate within a 1 mile radius and change locations evey hour. Choose middle class areas. Time-frame lunch hours. 11:30-3. People will clearly have money. My best day was almost $300, my average is around $60. Hope this helps
I live in south of england and busk in various locations week in week out. I play classical, country pop and folky fingerstyle instrumentals on steel string acoustic and average about 70 quid when the weather is good. Totally worth it if you have a good act and the right location
I can make a lot. But that's because I've got a great body.

Quote by metaldud536
Yea but Mike actually has talent.

Yes, yes I do.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Last edited by snipelfritz at Mar 16, 2014,
Quote by frusciante_5
I live in south of england and busk in various locations week in week out. I play classical, country pop and folky fingerstyle instrumentals on steel string acoustic and average about 70 quid when the weather is good. Totally worth it if you have a good act and the right location

What did you earn on a bad day?
I think the real question is, how much money would people pay you to not play?
¯\_()_/¯
Quote by CaptainCanti
I think the real question is, how much money would people pay you to not play?

I've seen some pretty awful buskers, even some who got paid to "entertain". They were beyond awful. I had half a mine to play myself just to show how bad he was, but I'd feel bad about it.