Hi, I've only owned 2 amps in the past 5 years, a microcube and a 6505+. I've also got a schecter c1fr with pro alnico 2's and a schecter blackjack avenger with blackouts. I left the 6505 sitting at a buddy's house for a long time and just recently got it back. I've been tinkering around with it and I can't get a decent clean tone out of the 6505 to save my life. All barre chords just sound muddy and undefined. I understand that the amp and guitar (avenger) are pretty much designed for high gain applications so is there nothing I can do to clean it up? I've also got a boss me 70 but that thing doesn't seem to help matters.

Seriously thinking about getting rid of the 6505 and avenger since it seems easier to get a heavy tone out of a clean setup than a clean tone out of a heavy setup!!
If in your head you are looking for a brighter open clean like a Fender or Vox your not going to get it.

Most people I hear that play clean on a 6505 try to jazz it up with a chorus pedal to make it somewhat "exciting" lol

And I agree. I sold my high gain amps last month cause they couldn't do anything else. And stuck with my clean/low gain amps cause they can do what the high gain amps do with a pedal or two.
Quote by cheesefries
If in your head you are looking for a brighter open clean like a Fender or Vox your not going to get it.

Most people I hear that play clean on a 6505 try to jazz it up with a chorus pedal to make it somewhat "exciting" lol

And I agree. I sold my high gain amps last month cause they couldn't do anything else. And stuck with my clean/low gain amps cause they can do what the high gain amps do with a pedal or two.

Exactly what I'm trying to get. Open chords sound like dogshit to me with this thing lol. I'm not terribly attached to this amp but I really like the guitar. I recall it cleaning up pretty nice on the lil microcube.
Sounds like you need a 5150III
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Well, to get good cleans on that amp using a guitar with Blackouts is challenging. (I know, because that's exactly what I use ).

Here's what I've done to get more than decent cleans:

Swap out your v1 preamp tube for something with a lower gain factor. I have used JJ 12at7s, JJ 5751s, and am currently using a JJ ECC803 in that position.

Next, swap out your phase inverter tube for something lower in gain as well -- I actually prefer my JJ 12AT7 there.

My current setup is an ECC 803 in V1, a 5751 in V2, normal JJ 12ax7s in V3-4, and the 12AT7 in V5. (I have the 112 combo version of the 6505 converted into a head, and it only has 5 preamp tubes).

You might be thinking that with all that gain reduction, how can I get the high-gain tone that amp is known for. I can assure you it is absolutely not a problem. In fact, I think my amp sounds A LOT more brutal now that some of the over-the-top gain has been tamed -- because there is a lot more string clarity and it just sounds more "punchy" altogether.

But on topic -- the cleans are INFINITELY better with those tubes. They just give you a lot more headroom and warmth. That said, I only use my neck pickup for cleans, and I usually back off the volume knob on the guitar about 15% as well. That gives even more headroom and increases warmth.

Other than that, my reverb is always on with a slight modulation (chorus), and sometimes my delay is on as well. I use a TC-Electronic Hall of Fame reverb and a Flashback delay. I've never been a fan of dry cleans no matter what the amp -- it always sounds better with some reverb. With all that, I really enjoy my cleans -- and they become even better with non-active pickups -- but that's all I've got.
I have a 6505+, and I could never really get a good clean sound out of it. I run a POD HD through the fx loop and just use one of the clean channels on that.
Mesa.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by classicrocker01
Sounds like you need a 5150III

but...
yeah, that's actually what you sound like.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
May be an oddball advice and you should look into some of the other options presented in addition, but: maybe consider getting a power conditioner if you don't have one already. The power in your house can do some weird things to your amp's sound.
^ most likely not a lot more than a hum.
Actually, either that or nothing in my experience.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Hehe after looking at a 5150iii it's looking pretty expensive. I only paid about 300 for the 6505+ combo, anything around that price (used is fine) with good cleans and would work well with a boss me70? Would spending money to replace tubes yield a good enough result or would it just get me a little closer to sounding clean but still lacking in the end?
Playing with lower gain tubes is a good idea and will cost a shitload less than another amp.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
WTF are cleans good for. Turn that gain knob to 10.

Seriously though- BROOTZ. forget cleans.

Try a JAN 5751 in the V1 or PI slot. You can try a 12AT7 to lower the gain. Under $25 and you keep the brootz. Win win.

That amp has more than enough gain to easily take the lower gain tubes and not blink.

I had the head version and it loved the JAN5751 in V1.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.