A few of you may have heard of the "Wayback Machine", but you probably haven't thought to use it on UG until now. For those of you who haven't, The Wayback Machine is a database that caches screenshots of webpages on the internet throughout the page's history. So for example, you can see what google looked like in 1998, or view a webpage that now just summons a 404 error, or even ... "This tab has been removed by the publisher".

Just go to https://archive.org/web/ and post the URL of the removed tab in the bar, and select the oldest screenshot you can find. I have found this extremely useful on several occasions to prevent lost tablature. Push back against the greedy record companies and show them music is meant to be shared, to be played, to be open.

Ultimate Guitar can not get in any legal trouble since they are not hosting any "copyright infringement", despite that, I can foresee a moderator considering banning me because of how copyright infringement is interpreted on the rules page which isn't the actual legal definition. With that being said, it would be exclusively in the record companies' best interest to remove my post and ban me.
Last edited by bryan.beadenkop at Mar 16, 2014,
Quote by bryan.beadenkop
A few of you may have heard of the "Wayback Machine", but you probably haven't thought to use it on UG until now...

I can't see how banning you would achieve anything, as you could've simply blogged that from anywhere on the net, with suggestions pointing back to this site, just one of those things that will come, serve it's purpose and leave as surely as it arrived...
Last edited by tonibet72 at Mar 17, 2014,
Great tip. I instantly thought of the wayback machine when I saw this thread title, but never connected those dots when I was actually trying to look at a removed tab.

Thanks.