from the local music shop. broke my original nut trying to force a barritone string in there like an idiot.

sg worn g-400 (width 1.68)

the nut they gave me is 'nut graph tech pq-6116-0'. (1-11/16)

it's bigger than the original, and i'm prepared to file it down etc. however, i look at the pre-made slots and they don't match up with the original, nor do they match up with the string marks on the frets (the slots on the new nut are wider).

so i'm thinking it's going to result badly.

... do i proceed or abort, thanks
Last edited by fdsaevad at Mar 16, 2014,
I love this thread title.
Quote by luxeion
i keep asking my dad for wood. but he keeps getting annoyed (he's working on a house). and i'm too young to go outside.

thanks. i have roughly 12 minutes to figure this out if i want to make it back to the shop before it closes tonight.
hi, i got a big nut

Singular,right? Too bad.

1 11/16ths" is the same as 1.68".

If it's taller, you're meant to file it down shorter. If the nut slots are too narrow, you're meant to take a set of nut files and match the width to the string gauge you actually have. Ideally, the strings should sit no more than half-way into the slots anyway. Half the diameter of the string should be sticking *above* the nut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6lGTSGaSOo
Quote by StrykVladzimsky
I love this thread title.

+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by dspellman
Singular,right? Too bad.

1 11/16ths" is the same as 1.68".

If it's taller, you're meant to file it down shorter. If the nut slots are too narrow, you're meant to take a set of nut files and match the width to the string gauge you actually have. Ideally, the strings should sit no more than half-way into the slots anyway. Half the diameter of the string should be sticking *above* the nut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6lGTSGaSOo

the new nut has pre made slots that are bigger (EDIT- wider spaced) than the original. so that i can tell the strings will be dangerously close to the edge of the fretboard when it's installed.

i had a pic but can't find anywhere to host it (??) been trying for like, 3 minutes to upload a picture somewhere, how hard can it be this day and age. anyway, from one end to the other, the new slots are about a millimeter wider. they don't match up to the string wear on the frets.
Last edited by fdsaevad at Mar 16, 2014,
I wouldnt install it. I had a high e nut slot that was about one mm too close to the end of the fretboard and it was a real problem. The string would come off the end of the board. And sometimes playing an open chord like a C or Am I would accidentally mute the high e with my index finger while trying to hold down the b string. My tech wound up filling in the bad slot with a bone dust/glue mixture and then cutting a new slot in the right place.
Quote by fdsaevad
from the local music shop. broke my original nut trying to force a barritone string in there like an idiot.

sg worn g-400 (width 1.68)

the nut they gave me is 'nut graph tech pq-6116-0'. (1-11/16)

it's bigger than the original, and i'm prepared to file it down etc. however, i look at the pre-made slots and they don't match up with the original, nor do they match up with the string marks on the frets (the slots on the new nut are wider).

so i'm thinking it's going to result badly.

... do i proceed or abort, thanks

can't you call and nicely say that your nut isn't fiting right? and you expected to get it fixed.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/